When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why I buy reps! (a Tuesday morning musing)

dabom

Obvious statement: people wear reps for all sorts of reasons.

Some wear reps because they can't afford the real thing. Some wear them because they are posers and need it for their low self esteems.

For me, I only buy reps of brands I like from a distance. I like their designs, but I don't "appreciate" them. When I truly appreciate a brand, nothing less than a genuine will do.

For example, I primarily buy reps of Rolexes and Panerais. I like their designs, but I don't like genuine Rolex movements and bracelets, and Panerai's size is a little too big for me to buy a genuine even though they look good on my wrist in photographs.

In a week, I will receive a SSD from Trusty. The reason why I am getting this watch, is because sometimes I go to vacation to watch havens like Hong Kong or Singapore, where it is mandatory to wear a good watch. I may not necessarily want to bring my gen, and it's nice to have an alternative. Why does it matter? Because people in those countries are very judgemental about what you put on your wrist, so shallow judgement deserves a shallow response!

As for the other reps in my collection, they are more or less "nice watches that I wear to places where they might get stolen or wrecked", and watches that spruce up my collection of gens. I love my gens, but it's nice to have a bit of variety and change it up a little with reps. I take a long time to buy a gen - I have to make sure that I will not get tired of it and will always love it. Buying a gen is a long and thoughtful process. Reps on the other hand are good "tester" watches and fun watches that I don't need to think about so much. I think it's important to have both types.

I'll finish off by saying that I really think that if you truly appreciate a brand, you really ought to buy the genuine thing. Although I have pirated movies, I will always go out and buy the legal copy if I appreciate the movie. I think we should be decent enough to pay people for their work if we appreciate it. I know there are many of you who don't have the same morals, and perhaps to you you think that any free ride is a good ride - well consider if you yourself were an artist and someone was enjoying your work but ripping you off. Or perhaps you aren't an artist and you're just an employee - how would you feel if someone got credit for the work you did, and got a raise ahead of you because of it?

Perhaps some may think it's hypocritical of me to pontificate since I own reps myself. Well, balance is the key. There are some brands I will never buy reps of, because I truly appreciate their quality and the brand - therefore I reciprocate by buying the real thing. There are some brands which I don't appreciate, but they might have one or two models that are kinda nice, and I wonder what the fuss is all about. I think there's room for both and still be fair.

My 2 c.

Because people in those countries are very judgemental about what you put on your wrist, so shallow judgement deserves a shallow response!

I have to disagree with your statement over there. So to say that, the same thing won't happen in other countries? I highly doubt so. It all goes back to every individual.

I have to disagree with your statement over there. So to say that, the same thing won't happen in other countries? I highly doubt so. It all goes back to every individual.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. What has the shallowness of people from other countries got to do with the individual?

I'm stating that I wanted a near perfect rep, so that I'm not forced to wear my gen to HK/Singapore where people judge you by the watch you wear. The fact that this sort of thing might happen in other countries doesn't change this point, nor is it remotely relevant to what other individuals do since I'm only talking about my own thought processes.

??

Obvious statement: people wear reps for all sorts of reasons.

Some wear reps because they can't afford the real thing. Some wear them because they are posers and need it for their low self esteems.

For me, I only buy reps of brands I like from a distance. I like their designs, but I don't "appreciate" them. When I truly appreciate a brand, nothing less than a genuine will do.

For example, I primarily buy reps of Rolexes and Panerais. I like their designs, but I don't like genuine Rolex movements and bracelets, and Panerai's size is a little too big for me to buy a genuine even though they look good on my wrist in photographs.

In a week, I will receive a SSD from Trusty. The reason why I am getting this watch, is because sometimes I go to vacation to watch havens like Hong Kong or Singapore, where it is mandatory to wear a good watch. I may not necessarily want to bring my gen, and it's nice to have an alternative. Why does it matter? Because people in those countries are very judgemental about what you put on your wrist, so shallow judgement deserves a shallow response!

As for the other reps in my collection, they are more or less "nice watches that I wear to places where they might get stolen or wrecked", and watches that spruce up my collection of gens. I love my gens, but it's nice to have a bit of variety and change it up a little with reps. I take a long time to buy a gen - I have to make sure that I will not get tired of it and will always love it. Buying a gen is a long and thoughtful process. Reps on the other hand are good "tester" watches and fun watches that I don't need to think about so much. I think it's important to have both types.

I'll finish off by saying that I really think that if you truly appreciate a brand, you really ought to buy the genuine thing. Although I have pirated movies, I will always go out and buy the legal copy if I appreciate the movie. I think we should be decent enough to pay people for their work if we appreciate it. I know there are many of you who don't have the same morals, and perhaps to you you think that any free ride is a good ride - well consider if you yourself were an artist and someone was enjoying your work but ripping you off. Or perhaps you aren't an artist and you're just an employee - how would you feel if someone got credit for the work you did, and got a raise ahead of you because of it?

Perhaps some may think it's hypocritical of me to pontificate since I own reps myself. Well, balance is the key. There are some brands I will never buy reps of, because I truly appreciate their quality and the brand - therefore I reciprocate by buying the real thing. There are some brands which I don't appreciate, but they might have one or two models that are kinda nice, and I wonder what the fuss is all about. I think there's room for both and still be fair.

My 2 c.

Dear Dabom,

Read your post with great interest and felt that a response is due.

Yes ppl wear reps for various reasons and I concur with your statement " like their designs, but I don't "appreciate" them. When I truly appreciate a brand, nothing less than a genuine will do." Exactly the same reason why I buys reps.

But I do have to disagree with this " like Hong Kong or Singapore, where it is mandatory to wear a good watch. I may not necessarily want to bring my gen, and it's nice to have an alternative. Why does it matter? Because people in those countries are very judgemental about what you put on your wrist, so shallow judgement deserves a shallow response!"

I currently live in Singapore and had had the pleasure of working in HK for several years b4 my secondment here. Yes HK and SG are some of the watch capitals of the region. (Puzzles me that you chose to exclude Japan though) I don't question the existance of shallow ppl in those 2 cities but the % would be small and the numbers added up would probably still be less than the number of shallow people where you're from.

My conclusion is this, you chose (its a vacation, you chose what you want to do) to visit areas or sections of the cities where this phenomenon exists and make the generalisation that everyone's shallow. That sir, makes you a bigot.

Kindest Regards

Siesta181

*Some kind advice, enjoy your stay in these 2 countries and take advantage of their hospitalities. Kindly leave your personal views at home. Better still, cancel the bookings. I am quite sure you will have a much better time having constructive discussions with your non-shallow peers back home

There's nothing worse than a thread being derailed off course on such a trivial point. Read between the lines folks. I am a watch guy like everyone else on this board. What do watch people do? Watch people go to watch stores. I am not saying the average man on a HK/Singapore street is shallow, I mean what the heck do I care what they think? However, in a watch store, you have to take off your watch to try on watches - and salespeople judge you by your watch. In N.America, salespeople in general don't care what watch you wear.

I suggest some of you take a chill pill and learn to be an easy-going happy person instead of up-tight, overly sensitive and quick to label others as a bigot. I can just imagine some of you are so tightly wound that the slightest thing sets you off. Relax!

Now do I have your permission to get back on topic? Hmm? Anyone else wants to have a hissy fit?

Edited by dabom

This is what you said:

Nowhere did you ask us to read between the lines of your "musing" and determine what you were actually talking about was going into a watch shop and trying on the watch. Perhaps if you were more clear in your OP, then our response would not have been such.

And while we're on the subject of salespersons and watches in N. America, the attitude is no different.

I read the OP and was about to post my thoughts and then I see the other folks on here have already posted a response similar to what I was thinking.

Yes, I do and can understand your feelings towards reps, but your sweeping generalization and stereotyping have no place here. Nor anywhere else for that matter. In all honesty, you seem to come across just like those "people" you describe as being superficial. If you're not, why care about what others think of you?

Enjoy your time here, but please do keep your personal feelings with regards to those issues at home. We're an international community and consideration for others is a must.

Nowhere did you ask us to read between the lines of your "musing" and determine what you were actually talking about was going into a watch shop and trying on the watch. Perhaps if you were more clear in your OP, then our response would not have been such.

And while we're on the subject of salespersons and watches in N. America, the attitude is no different.

you don't get it do you? The onus is on you, as a gracious person to give another person the benefit of the doubt - not on me to write a novel on just exactly what I meant by every little sentence.

Even after clarifying my statement, you felt compelled to continue blasting me, as if somehow you're justified in your uptightness.

Should we really devote pages and pages to me explaining over and over again what I meant, and should we devote pages and pages of me saying that that one little sentence had nothing to do with the spirit of the thread, and to belabor that point is really to be very anal?

It would seem so wouldn't it? Since I've already clarified what I meant, and some self-righteous people felt compelled to continue the attack. Why bother? This thread is not about that, so kindly rant on another thread. If you have nothing constructive to add to this conversation, then go elsewhere or attend some anger management class.

This is what you said:

I have to concur with this and Ztech's statements. Had you mentioned the "read between the lines" it would have come off a little different. Nevertheless, I don't take your statements as being bigotted. Sure it could have been interpretted that way, but just the same, it could have been interpretted another. I chose the latter. No matter where you go you will eventually meet someone who will be judgmental. If I could afford gens of all my reps I would probably go out and get them. But, since I can't I do the best I can. For me it doesn't need to be a perfect rep most of the time. If I like the look its a keeper.

The great thing about this forum is that everyone has their own reason for owning reps and gens and has the opportunity to express their thoughts.

Have a nice day everyone.

I read the OP and was about to post my thoughts and then I see the other folks on here have already posted a response similar to what I was thinking.

Yes, I do and can understand your feelings towards reps, but your sweeping generalization and stereotyping have no place here. Nor anywhere else for that matter. In all honesty, you seem to come across just like those "people" you describe as being superficial. If you're not, why care about what others think of you?

Enjoy your time here, but please do keep your personal feelings with regards to those issues at home. We're an international community and consideration for others is a must.

And you would do well to listen to your own advice.

A fox can smell a fox. You obviously think badly of me because you can relate to the same level of animosity.

You don't know me, you don't know my nationality, you don't know my ethnic background, you don't know anything. Yet you feel compelled to judge me based on your misunderstanding of that one sentence, with a self-righteous pontification to "show others consideration". I suggest you look in a mirror.

This thread is my thread, and I'm trying to bring it back on topic. What's your excuse for coming here?

I have to concur with this and Ztech's statements. Had you mentioned the "read between the lines" it would have come off a little different. Nevertheless, I don't take your statements as being bigotted. Sure it could have been interpretted that way, but just the same, it could have been interpretted another. I chose the latter. No matter where you go you will eventually meet someone who will be judgmental. If I could afford gens of all my reps I would probably go out and get them. But, since I can't I do the best I can. For me it doesn't need to be a perfect rep most of the time. If I like the look its a keeper.

The great thing about this forum is that everyone has their own reason for owning reps and gens and has the opportunity to express their thoughts.

Have a nice day everyone.

Well said sir! This was what I was hoping for - just some sharing, if you feel compelled, of why you like reps. And it's nice to have people who have a happy disposition and see the potential good in people, rather than a cynical outlook.

I mean look at how many argumentative posts have resulted in simply having a judgmental attitude toward people - and none of which contribute in the slightest to the spirit of this thread.

Let's all be nice and share, instead of nit-picking - shall we?

In all honesty, you seem to come across just like those "people" you describe as being superficial. If you're not, why care about what others think of you?

This is a careless (and judgmental) statement, especially in light of the fact that you already read my clarification. The desire to avoid potential public conflict or derision is not the same as "caring what other people think".

Again, I point out that there is a great danger of judging people, because you cannot judge what you don't know. And yet some of you feel compelled to do it, because you haven't learned to be a nicer more gracious person.

For your own benefit, I shall explain, but I suspect that such an explanation will generate more argument simply because judgmental people don't like to be pointed wrong. (I thought that by explaining myself the first time, it would end the judging, but it seems to bring out the best judges out of the woodwork for a round 2).

I have a relationship with many watch salespeople in the aforementioned 2 countries. I don't feel this knowledge is relevant to the spirit of the thread, which is why I didn't share it. The fact that I am sharing it now makes me shake my own head at how sad a person must be to require this kind of information in order to stop attacking someone (maybe I'm wrong, and even more explanation is required to shut someone up - we shall see). It is not in my best interest, in terms of cultivating my continuous relationship with people who sell genuines if they know that I am wearing a rep. It's nothing personal, it's just business.

There I've said it, and I feel sad for having to do it just to bring a damn topic back on track.

Edited by dabom

I'll contribute too:

I buy reps for the sake of comparing it to my local dealership---a la "test driving" the watch before I go and buy the real thing.

My wife and I constantly get into arguments about how I am the kind of person that salespeople like---the one that believes everything the salesperson says and also buys right into the upsell. There is no research that I do, and I used to buy simply for the "wow" factor.

Now that we have come into the realm of the quality of reps that we can obtain today, some of the pieces I've acquired over the years would rival my own and my father's collection. And he has been a Patek and IWC collector since the late 70's.

I don't use the reps to replace my Gen collection. Because without the proper service and possible movement swap, they don't match the dependability of the gens. And until I see a rep of the IWC 5000 movement, I don't think that line will be crossed anytime soon.

I'll contribute too:

I buy reps for the sake of comparing it to my local dealership---a la "test driving" the watch before I go and buy the real thing.

My wife and I constantly get into arguments about how I am the kind of person that salespeople like---the one that believes everything the salesperson says and also buys right into the upsell. There is no research that I do, and I used to buy simply for the "wow" factor.

Now that we have come into the realm of the quality of reps that we can obtain today, some of the pieces I've acquired over the years would rival my own and my father's collection. And he has been a Patek and IWC collector since the late 70's.

I don't use the reps to replace my Gen collection. Because without the proper service and possible movement swap, they don't match the dependability of the gens. And until I see a rep of the IWC 5000 movement, I don't think that line will be crossed anytime soon.

the quality of the reps is simply amazing, but you're right that they don't capture that long term love (dependability) that gens have. I saved so much money by simply trying out these reps and really KNOWING whether I really truly love a watch. The good thing is, even if I don't really fall in love with a watch, I can still keep the rep for the occasional day when I might change my mind.

Although we are lucky to have The Zigmeister, I'm always concerned that one day we may not have an easily accessible rep-friendly expert. Sadly, I always have this in mind when I buy a rep - I cannot fall in love with it, because some day it might die and I have no-one to revive it. It gives the watch a throwaway, temporary feel that I don't like to associate with watches.

A side note: I was thinking just now about what someone else on this thread said about caring what people think: I think the "shallow" comment I initially made was facetious in a way, because I myself judge a person by the watch they wear, and I suspect that many watch folks do that.

Yesterday on the train I was sitting across from a guy who was wearing a Tag Heuer chronograph. It looked strange to me aesthetically, and sure enough after about 10 seconds I could tell it was a fake and I smugly told my friend sitting next to me (the guy wearing the fake was asleep). Why did I speak up? I think to show off a little my knowledge about the watch world and how I could detect a fake. I told her I could tell by the number of beats of the seconds hand.

It's ironic and hypocritical of me to "look down" on someone who was wearing a bad fake, although I don't think I would react the same way if I saw someone wearing a high-end fake. No doubt however, that this in itself is worth studying from a psychological point of view!

If I were to take a stab at it though, I think that I see people who wear cheap fakes as posers, and people who buy high-end fakes as people who appreciate quality but not the hype. It's probably whacked thinking I'm sure.

Ok, the reactions here have been pretty odd.

In the far east, presenting a face (mianzi or lian, explained here) is more important than in the west. Yes, it's a generalisation, but it's more true than not. In some circles, it's all about appearances and presentation, with the watch you wear, the car you drive, etc., and putting on a show of richness can be more important than presenting other traits.

It's a long discussion, but I'm a little shocked people jumped down Dabom's throat. Maybe you're all shamed into a loss of face and have to rattle sabres to keep the illusion up. :)

....because I myself judge a person by the watch they wear, and I suspect that many watch folks do that.

You cannot judge a person solely by the watch they wear.....

It can add to the overall first impression you have of somebody, as part of their outward appearance, but to draw a complete conclusion of that person, just because of the watch on their wrist is just......

Well you get my point ;)

tell you what though if you want to go test drive a flashy car i always wear a flashy expencive watch, It is the sales persons impresssion if you can afford the car! I once wandered round a mec garage getting ingnored by the sales staff because i (by personal addmitance) looked like [censored], the next time i wore a shirt and nice watch and was entertaind with coffee and all the books and [censored], as i looked in place, some people in this world are so shallow.

tell you what though if you want to go test drive a flashy car i always wear a flashy expencive watch, It is the sales persons impresssion if you can afford the car! I once wandered round a mec garage getting ingnored by the sales staff because i (by personal addmitance) looked like [censored], the next time i wore a shirt and nice watch and was entertaind with coffee and all the books and [censored], as i looked in place, some people in this world are so shallow.

Well that makes sense and it is human narure to a degree, within that specific environment....

You don't go to a job interview wearing Bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and sandals (depending on the job :p )

Cheers! B)