When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT II - C Asian IHS from Josh

njespo

i just picked it up at the post office and have finally finished unwrapping it (whew, that was thoroughly packaged!!) and i have to say without a doubt it is one of the best reps i own....

my photo skills are nil so i won't even attempt it but i can say without hesitation that the pics on Jos' site do not even come close to doing it justice...the fit and finish are outstanding....

thank you Josh for the usual impeccable service, a quality product, and price that can't be beat! :D:D:D

neal

To answer your question -- yes. The sweep on any 28.8k bph movement (in proper working order) will be smooth & this 1 is no exception.

lobbsrolex0201.jpg

However, I forgot to mention in my previous comments regarding the chs (correct hand stack) GMTIIC that this beauty arrived within 1 week of my placing the order. My dealings with Josh/Andrew have always been satisfactory, but this transaction definitely stands out as 1 of the best in my experience -- delivering a stunningly beautiful watch at near warp speed.

:1a::clapping:

In fact, to call this watch a 'rep' seems almost unfair.......it is that good.

On the slightly negative side, after making my 4th reconnaissance trip to an AD to do yet another rep vs gen comparison (trying to find that 1 big flaw that mars just about every rep), I suddenly spotted a flaw that I never noticed before (though I am not sure how I missed it). As others have correctly noted, the date font is printed slightly too large, which brings the date a bit too close to the edges of the date window. But that is not a big deal since it is not really noticeable unless you know what to look for & have a gen close by for comparison. But what is noticeable, at least now that I have become aware of it, is the font itself, which is sans serif. The gen font is slightly serifed (the legs of the numbers terminate in small, perpendicular legs) as can easily be seen in these pics of 2 different gen GMTIICs

gmt2c_1-1.jpg

GMT-21-1.jpg

As far as I can tell from the pics on the collectors' sites & the 1 ihs rep I have seen in person, all versions of the GMTIIC rep use the same date wheel with incorrect sans serif fonts. :(

Guest carlsbadrolex

Freddy, how accurate is yours? I am in near awe of the time keeping of mine ESPECIALLY after taking it apart myself and replacing the mainspring and barrel. In 36 hours I am -1 second. And it has fluctuated to be +1 sec and one point.

Without a doubt the most accurate 2836-2 I have had (out of the box so to speak).

NICE SHOES by the way!

Thanks.

Mine averages about +12 on the timer, but that translates to about -2 or -3 on my wrist, which is within COSC standards & quite acceptable for a rep that I have done nothing with beyond the initial 40 winds to get it going

timing0121.jpg

In spite of its relatively minor flaws (san serif (incorrect) date font, slightly narrow index markers, etc.), I continue to be mesmerized by this watch. And that is saying alot since I am not generally fond of modern watches. As you can see, the output is relatively consistent (pretty good for an unserviced ETA) with nearly 0 beat error (the evenness of the balance's rotation in each direction) & a good, strong amplitude (the degree of rotation of the balance). All in all, quite respectable.

What is a hand stack and what is the difference between correct/incorrect?

Hand stack refers to the order in which the hands -- hour, GMT, minute, second -- are installed. In the case of the gen GMTII, the lowermost hand is the hour hand, followed by the GMT or 24-hour hand, followed by the minute & second hands, respectively

gmt2c_1-1.jpg

A correct hand stack (chs) rep would have its hands ordered the same as the gen. The incorrect hand stack (ihs) GMTII has the GMT & hour hands reversed.

To answer your question -- yes. The sweep on any 28.8k bph movement (in proper working order) will be smooth & this 1 is no exception.

lobbsrolex0201.jpg

However, I forgot to mention in my previous comments regarding the chs (correct hand stack) GMTIIC that this beauty arrived within 1 week of my placing the order. My dealings with Josh/Andrew have always been satisfactory, but this transaction definitely stands out as 1 of the best in my experience -- delivering a stunningly beautiful watch at near warp speed.

:1a::clapping:

In fact, to call this watch a 'rep' seems almost unfair.......it is that good.

On the slightly negative side, after making my 4th reconnaissance trip to an AD to do yet another rep vs gen comparison (trying to find that 1 big flaw that mars virtually just about every other rep), I suddenly spotted a flaw that I never noticed before (though I am not sure how I missed it). As others have correctly noted, the date font is printed slightly too large, which brings the date a bit too close to the edges of the date window. But that is not a big deal since it is not really noticeable unless you know what to look for & have a gen close by for comparison. But what is noticeable, at least now that I have become aware of it, is the font itself, which is sans serif. The gen font is slightly serifed (the legs of the numbers terminate in small, perpendicular legs) as can easily be seen in these pics of 2 different gen GMTIICs

gmt2c_1-1.jpg

GMT-21-1.jpg

As far as I can tell from the pics on the collectors' sites & the 1 ihs rep I have seen in person, all versions of the GMTIIC rep use the same date wheel with incorrect sans serif fonts.

Your top picture does a perfect job of showing another minor flaw that I haven't seen mention of. Look at the gap between the inner edge of the bezel insert and the crystal. Doesn't exist in the reps. I tried (probably not succesfully) to describe it once before, but your picture does it justice.

which version is this?

C Asian IHS = C? Asian Incorrect hand stack

:rolleyes: .. we have to create acronyms for everything now.. you supposed to know that :rolleyes:

btw... congrats ...Noynrlsawiw = neal on your new rep live strong and wear it well

Your top picture does a perfect job of showing another minor flaw that I haven't seen mention of. Look at the gap between the inner edge of the bezel insert and the crystal. Doesn't exist in the reps. I tried (probably not succesfully) to describe it once before, but your picture does it justice.

I think you lost me........

The top picture (the 1 with shoes) is my chs rep. And I really do not see any difference in the space between the inside edge of the bezel & the crystal between the gen & rep. Can you be more specific or do you have closeup pics of both that show what you are seeing?

I think you lost me........

The top picture (the 1 with shoes) is my chs rep. And I really do not see any difference in the space between the inside edge of the bezel & the crystal between the gen & rep. Can you be more specific or do you have closeup pics of both that show what you are seeing?

Meant to say, your second picture. I had handling the gen about two dozen times over the last few months, but without the benefit of a rep for comparison, and this is something that just struck me about the gen. Now, after staring at more pictures it's something that I'm beginning to think I imagined. Next time I handle a gen, I'll look again. Until then, nevermind.

Thanks.

Mine averages about +12 on the timer, but that translates to about -2 or -3 on my wrist, which is within COSC standards & quite acceptable for a rep that I have done nothing with beyond the initial 40 winds to get it going

timing0121.jpg

In spite of its relatively minor flaws (san serif (incorrect) date font, slightly narrow index markers, etc.), I continue to be mesmerized by this watch. And that is saying alot since I am not generally fond of modern watches. As you can see, the output is relatively consistent (pretty good for an unserviced ETA) with nearly 0 beat error (the evenness of the balance's rotation in each direction) & a good, strong amplitude (the degree of rotation of the balance). All in all, quite respectable.

Wow, Freddy, your posts become more and more ...how can I say...professionals.

Thanks for the great information.