When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Space-Dweller

mastergod

i think its a great idea. I would assume its based on an EXP I.

hhmmm... I guess you could use an old gen datejust case.. but you would for sure want plexi... Not sure what kind of plexi domes are avail for that size case. Now you;ve really got me thinking!

dizz

Your best bet is to use a 16200 case. For starters, the caseback design is the same as the original 1016 case. Also, the Tropic 22 fits the case perfectly. You may need to modify the smooth bezel to fit over the crystal though. I'd have to double check. Also, you will need to drill out the lug holes to accept 2mm springbars if you want that authentic look.

As for the movement, you would want slow beat, but unfortunately, the 2846 does not fit in the 16200 case. What I did was build a hybrid movement by transplanting the 2846 balance, etc, into a 2801 mainplate and use one of my movement holders and you are set! No need to install any Day/Date function as there is no date on the Explorer. Also, you can install a stop lever so it hacks, and also install a 2 pos. set bridge to bypass the date setting function. only manual wind and time set function is needed.

see my sig pic below: it is a 16200 case with drilled lug holes, tropic 22 crystal installed with a modified smooth bezel.

i think its a great idea. I would assume its based on an EXP I.

hhmmm... I guess you could use an old gen datejust case.. but you would for sure want plexi... Not sure what kind of plexi domes are avail for that size case. Now you;ve really got me thinking!

dizz

Thanks. Keep thinking! I welcome you and everyone to co-evolve this project:) DJ case would be too small for big manly fists like ours no? ...must be no cg vintage sub case right? The superdome will really lift the watch.

If someone with custom dial experience is keen on overseeing the actual production - I

Edited by mastergod

If you want to build an authentic looking watch, you will have to go with the 36mm DJ case and tropic 22. otherwise you are just building a fantasy watch. Only the Milgauss was a large case size. 38mm. Subs are 40mm. 1016 explorer (including space-dweller) 36mm

regardless... I'd love to see the outcome if you proceed! Also, there is no sub dial size. They will all be 28mm dials (27.8mm)

If you want to build an authentic looking watch, you will have to go with the 36mm DJ case and tropic 22. otherwise you are just building a fantasy watch. Only the Milgauss was a large case size. 38mm. Subs are 40mm. 1016 explorer (including space-dweller) 36mm

regardless... I'd love to see the outcome if you proceed! Also, there is no sub dial size. They will all be 28mm dials (27.8mm)

Agree (36mm+=fantasy), but nobody knows nothing about the SP-D, thus it is we who control the truth and can decide the right size without being busted. So IMO wearability (size) is more important than historic accuracy. Again, just my opinion.

MG

Not to crap your thread, but there are some amazing time pieces on that link. The pictures are simply awesome and bring the details to life. I think I am going to kill my memory with this one thread you linked. :)

I agree - had to get them all..

Interesting project, keep me posted!

I agree - had to get them all..

Interesting project, keep me posted!

Gimme six to twelve months:)

BTW - a "qualified" guess: Scavenging backlist for historic credibility and drawing upon experience with the Milgauss evolution/re-issue - 42 mm w/ new 20 or 22 mm oysterband and "new vintage" clasp - oversized Space-Dweller commemorative watch to be launched, 300 pcs. ltd. ed., Basel 2009.

Isn

Edited by mastergod

• 3 weeks later...

It has the space dweller logo, but also cartier logo. moddable?

Everything is moddable I guess, or should be. Looking at it we see that the alignment is wrong ("space dweller" writing shorter than "oyster perpetual"), "space dweller" should be written "space-dweller", the "swiss" writing is below rather than over second indexes. Not that anybody would ever know of course

MG

Edited by mastergod