When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My BCE Datewheel design

szvwj

I'm working on making a datewheel for my BCE. The picture is a model of my current design.

I'm not sure how accurate I am to the gen. Are the ticks on the 1's correct? Are the 1's on the 11 spaced too far apart (or too close)?

Any comments would be appreciated. I'd like to get this as close as possible before I go out for fabrication.

Thanks

bce_datewheelcopy.jpg

Here's an update. I tried to add the serifs. Too small, too big? Should there be serifs on the bottom of the 7's?

Would it help if I posted close-ups of all the numbers?

Thanks a lot for the input, I really appreciate it.

bce_datewheel2.jpg

datewheel_closeup.jpg

I modeled it using Pro-Engineer. It was the best tool I could think of to get the correct alignment of the gears to the text.

I'm planning on having the parts fabricated (cut) out of a blank sheet of brass, directly from the CAD file (no loss of resolution).

Yes I think that is the gen DW

even if it wasn't, its as near as dammit for a rep! :D

SZVWJs just needs to be a little bit thinner overall, as mentioned earlier. The single digit numbers from 4 - 9 need to be a tad wider

Edited by Importr

Mentalist: Making a decal is a good (and inexpensive) idea and maybe other people are more skilled than I am, but I haven't been able to make that work. I tried and tried, but I just couldn't get it aligned properly on the datewheel. I always ended up with some numbers aligned, others off (really frustrating).

If the earlier posted pic of the gen datewheel is accurate, I think your font is still lightly too bold. Once there is bound to be some shrinking or swelling which could work in your favor or against you. You should consult with your printer and find out which way it will go, and adjust your artwork accordingly. My fear is that it swells, and your already too bold font gets bolder. Great work thus far though, and I'm following this thread with great interest. Also, if you really want to make some cash, produce a datewheel for the 3,6,9 navitimer with single digit fonts pointed in the proper direction ;)