When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OK, so you guys have convinced me...

jmt

Which GMTIIC to go for?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Current Asian ICHS ETA clone
    • Wait for Swiss ICHS
    • Wait for Swiss CHS

Guest carlsbadrolex

Wait for Swiss CHS... If your going to spend the money, you might as well go all the way. I think we are going to find that these movements arent as prone to exploding as we have been told. And I highly doubt that even if they did explode, they couldnt be put back together.

My Swiss CHS is accurate to +3 seconds after 4 days (and thats after I had to swap the mainspring). Its the most accurate replica I currently own.

Wait for Swiss CHS... If your going to spend the money, you might as well go all the way. I think we are going to find that these movements arent as prone to exploding as we have been told. And I highly doubt that even if they did explode, they couldnt be put back together.

My Swiss CHS is accurate to +3 seconds after 4 days (and thats after I had to swap the mainspring). Its the most accurate replica I currently own.

I has the same thought... but when, and will, they come back? Lots of rumors flying around...last I talked to Josh he said 6 mo I think, but others have said much less... soon as next month...

Guest carlsbadrolex
I has the same thought... but when, and will, they come back? Lots of rumors flying around...last I talked to Josh he said 6 mo I think, but others have said much less... soon as next month...

Keep your eyes pealed, there are people selling them off already because they are afraid of exploding movements. I bought mine from a member on another site two weeks ago, not from a dealer. I know of another person who may be selling theirs in the next few days. I may buy it just to have it.

Keep your eyes pealed, there are people selling them off already because they are afraid of exploding movements. I bought mine from a member on another site two weeks ago, not from a dealer. I know of another person who may be selling theirs in the next few days. I may buy it just to have it.

Do NOT do that. Do NOT. Send them to me ;)

Guest carlsbadrolex
CHS mvt is a time bomb mvt due to the modif that was made on it, not reliable and prone to fail, but, it looks like the gen.

And you know this how???? OH thats right, you have had this new movement for quite some time and it has exploded on you HOW MANY TIMES?

Im not saying that this movement wont take a [censored] at some point... But where is the information coming from about exploding CHS's?

If you are referring to the OLD CHS movements (which we still are not sure if this is the same one or not) MANY of those are still running fine. And from what I have read, those that did fail were repaired.

It seems to me that we strive to get the very best replica possible. And then SOME OF US give up near the end of the race and settle for less. In my humble opinion, owning this watch now and taking a chance that it is going to run like a champ forever is worth it. I paid a premium for mine, and have already been offered more than I paid for it!

And you know this how???? OH thats right, you have had this new movement for quite some time and it has exploded on you HOW MANY TIMES?

Im not saying that this movement wont take a [censored] at some point... But where is the information coming from about exploding CHS's?

If you are referring to the OLD CHS movements (which we still are not sure if this is the same one or not) MANY of those are still running fine. And from what I have read, those that did fail were repaired.

It seems to me that we strive to get the very best replica possible. And then SOME OF US give up near the end of the race and settle for less. In my humble opinion, owning this watch now and taking a chance that it is going to run like a champ forever is worth it. I paid a premium for mine, and have already been offered more than I paid for it!

"And you know this how???? OH thats right,.. If you are referring to the OLD CHS movements"

Yes, I made reference to the old CHS (well if you assume that is the mvt in the new GMT is a new mvt and is DIFFERENT than the "old" one). And I don't see why now the mvt should be more reliable. Dealers would be very happy to announce to us that these "new" CHS are more relaible. Are they different? You or some can give us input? well, so I base my recommendation on what we know about this modified CHS mvt.

"...those that did fail were repaired."

Well, if they failed, they were NOT reliable, period. It's a fact.

What I want to say is, why take a chance with a mvt that we know that was problematic. It's like the famous IWC portuguese sec@6, some took a chance with it (and I was pretty near to buy one too when they was available) some still running, but a lot stopped after one year and are now just paper rocks (but now we know there's a solution with graphite powder for the 7750 sec@6, etc.

For me, a watch that I can't TRUST, it's just useless, a watch need to be 100% reliable all the time. For you, maybe, you can live with that. Not me.

Guest carlsbadrolex
"And you know this how???? OH thats right,.. If you are referring to the OLD CHS movements"

Yes, I made reference to the old CHS (well if you assume that is the mvt in the new GMT is a new mvt and is DIFFERENT than the "old" one). And I don't see why now the mvt should be more reliable. Dealers would be very happy to announce to us that these "new" CHS are more relaible. Are they different? You or some can give us input? well, so I base my recommendation on what we know about this modified CHS mvt.

"...those that did fail were repaired."

Well, if they failed, they were NOT reliable, period. It's a fact.

What I want to say is, why take a chance with a mvt that we know that was problematic. It's like the famous IWC portuguese sec@6, some took a chance with it (and I was pretty near to buy one too when they was available) some still running, but a lot stopped after one year and are now just paper rocks (but now we know there's a solution with graphite powder for the 7750 sec@6, etc.

For me, a watch that I can't TRUST, it's just useless, a watch need to be 100% reliable all the time. For you, maybe, you can live with that. Not me.

Your right, dont take a chance on it!!! I hope no one else buys this watch and that after six months the dealers are so full of stock that they melt them down and make shitty Submariners out of them! I personally have had two previous CHS watches, a GMT and an Explorer. They both ran flawlessly.

Looking at the figures in the most recent poll (about the CHS movement in the GMT IIc) it seems that of 20 sold, only two had issues serious enough to warrant repairing. I think that the other few issues revolved around the GMT hand falling out of sync.

Is the movement great, no. We should all swap the movements out for proper GMT ones. But its the best we have so far. And considering mine is running +2 seconds (and perfectly synced) after almost 5 days... Its good enough for me!

I think that if you plan to use your GMTIIC for daily wear, the ihs Swiss is your best bet. The Asian movements may prove reliable in time, but, based on my experience, parts & repairs may be problematic. On the other hand, if you want to feel a bit more confident around WIS types or you are just neurotic (like me), the chs Swiss is the ONLY possible option............assuming it becomes available again.

Mine is about 2 weeks old, still stunning & still keeping COSC time

timing0121.jpg

dinnerwithjan0111.jpg

imho incorrect is not an option. Live life on the wildside. :-)

Sure it's an option, just set the GMT hand to go under the hour hand at 3AM, then who will see it? Just always remember, when somebody asks to see your lovely Rolex watch, don't hand them a loupe at the same time :p^_^