When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen insert vs rep insert

gplracer

How much of a difference is there between a gen insert for a 16610 and an after market insert? I have seen conflicting suggestions on where to get the best insert/pearl. It appears that one place is the best place for the insert and one place is the best place for the pearl. Any suggestions?

If you get a genuine insert- say you find one on ebay for $75 or maybe more- then the only challenge is to install it in your sub w/o tearing it up.

Or you can get the watchmaterial pearl and the jewelryoutlet insert and install the pearl in the insert w/o tearing them up and then install them in your sub, again, w/o tearing them up.

The watchmaterial pearl isn't bad, but if you have a gen insert, you are always golden.

Thanks Alligoat. I just wondered if there is a real difference in appearance. The only option I have seen so far is $149 on ebay for a gen insert. As for the watch material pearl.... Do I need to get the insert there and then take the pearl out of it? Thanks again

If you get a genuine insert- say you find one on ebay for $75 or maybe more- then the only challenge is to install it in your sub w/o tearing it up.

Or you can get the watchmaterial pearl and the jewelryoutlet insert and install the pearl in the insert w/o tearing them up and then install them in your sub, again, w/o tearing them up.

The watchmaterial pearl isn't bad, but if you have a gen insert, you are always golden.

Edited by gplracer

Yep, pull the pearl out of the watchmaterial insert, enlarge the hole slightly on the jewelry outlet insert and glue-in the WM pearl. Then file the back of the insert so that it will sit lower in the bezel of your sub.

If you become a supporter, you will gain access to the collector area. BKLM1234 does this mod for his bkmariners- a nicely modded noobmariner with the ETA movt, trimmed cg's, better crown and tube and checked for WR.

Nothing beats a gen insert, but the watchmaterial pearl is an economical upgrade- I just put mine in the noob insert because I think the noob insert is fine, with the exception of the pearl- and the pearl in the noob insert varies from a 'zit' pearl to a really not too bad, just slightly smaller pearl. We tend to get slightly anal about some of this stuff, but you've probably figured that out by now!

There is also a different in Material and Quality.

A Gen one won't scratch easily like a Rep.

If you get one for a good price catch it, its worth

the money.

As usual, Alligoat and Tribal sum it up. :D

I would simply state, and of course this is my humble opinion:

No rep of a modern Sub (MBK/WM9/BKLM/Noob/Euro/or whatever) should be worn without a gen insert / pearl.

It might be tricky to fit sometimes, but, what a wonderfull difference :rolleyes:

Rolex16610WM9_800_12.jpg

Ok Gpl, now you have all the information you can dream of :whistling:

Thanks for all of the information. So far I saw a gen insert on ebay for $149. I will keep looking. First I need a case that is 1:1 ;)

As usual, Alligoat and Tribal sum it up. :D

I would simply state, and of course this is my humble opinion:

No rep of a modern Sub (MBK/WM9/BKLM/Noob/Euro/or whatever) should be worn without a gen insert / pearl.

It might be tricky to fit sometimes, but, what a wonderfull difference :rolleyes:

Rolex16610WM9_800_12.jpg

Ok Gpl, now you have all the information you can dream of :whistling:

Until a 2892 powered sub comes out I think we cannot call it 1:1 case.

Also WM9 sub needs some reworking to fit a genuine complete bezel properly, otherwise it won't turn.

I've not tried to fit a genuine bezel on a new MBW/MBW yet.

BTW I do agree with alligoat/Tribal/Stephane, MBW/WM9 are the best choice and definitely worth a genuine bezel insert

Will a genuine insert fit in the bezel that comes on it?

Until a 2892 powered sub comes out I think we cannot call it 1:1 case.

Also WM9 sub needs some reworking to fit a genuine complete bezel properly, otherwise it won't turn.

I've not tried to fit a genuine bezel on a new MBW/MBW yet.

BTW I do agree with alligoat/Tribal/Stephane, MBW/WM9 are the best choice and definitely worth a genuine bezel insert