When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT II ceramic just arrived!

rolexconfuse

I ordered the Asian watch on Thursday from Angus and got it today in NYC, now that's fast service.

So anyway, how's the watch? Well

The band, besides the side edges being a bit on the sharp side, the rest of the band is actually pretty smooth. The links are well spaced, not loose like a bad aftermarket band from ebay or have links that are rubbing up to each other. And surprisingly, there is no cheap jingling, squeaky sounds when I flex the band.

The etched crown on the crystal on my watch is actually pretty good. I can't even see it on the crystal. but it's there. And it's surprising to me since it's actually better than the noobmariner that i had. Either that or I had a bad copy of the noob. On the noob i could turn it side ways a little and boom there's the etched crown.

Now the bad news, on my copy I had 2 flaws,

The dial is off center by 0.5-2 millimeter (just my best estimate), which sucks cause the bezel insert was made to match up to the dial which means the bezel is also off by 0.5 or 2 millimeter.

I can line up the bezel with the dial but then the bezel will look crooked on the watch, which is noticeable because the triangle is off center. Or line up the bezel so it's center but not inline the dial.

After playing around with it for a while I decided to just center the bezel and leave it. It won't line up exactly with the dial but overall it looks better and less noticeable.

So besides the alignment flaws i think the watch is pretty awesome, I actually like this watch more than the noobmariner that I purchased from Andrew.

I just need to figure out how I'm supposed to change the Gmt hand to change only at 3 or 4 in the morining so no one can tell

Congrads on the new GMT.

The bezel insert seems to be about .5mm off on most or all of these watches. It seems that the factory placed the click-stop just west of the proper null position at 12, so the triangle will generally stop just shy of that point. But it is not very noticeable & can easily be hidden by simply setting the bezel to another position, which, if nothing else, gives the impression (for anyone who knows how a GMT watch functions) that you actually use your watch for traveling between time zones.

A growing number of owners of both chs & ihs versions seem to be reporting problems with the GMT function, so it is probably best not to mess with it at all. I think that anyone who gets close enough to your watch to see which hand is passing below the other will also likely be able to see each hand's vertical position on the pinion anyway.

I ordered mine from Andrew two weeks ago and finally got it on Thursday. Like the Rolex Noob Yachtmaster I bought last month, the watch itself looks really good. It has a quality feel to it and for 99% of the people one might meet no one would suspect it is a replica. The Asian movement is very smooth and the power reserve must be more than 24 hours after a few days wearing it. The lume is also very good for about 5 hours.

Where the watch is less authentic is in the band. The GMT IIc clasp is terrific, but the links are just not like a Rolex. I have a Seiko diver, and it is five years old. I've worn it everywhere, and the links are still silky smooth and show almost no signs of wear. It feels like a high quality integrated whole. The GMT IIc is supposed to be 316 Stainless Steel, but whatever the chinese use for chrome it dinks and scratches very easily. I've had it just a few days and there are already small scratches on the band, and it doesn't feel like the band on a $5k watch.

From a quality perspective, these reps have a long way to go in comparison to Seiko. In the future, I won't buy reps that have ss bands based on this experience.

My triangle lines up perfectly, guess I'm lucky. It was running at -10minutes a day, now I have it at about -9 seconds. Good enough. You got yours lightning fast buddy. Its always nice when that happens.

I suppose you wanted to say -10sec/day instead of -10minutes a day, isn'it? ;)

thanks guys, i was surprised that it got here so fast, it was amazing.

I fiddled around with the GMT hand today at work and originally the i noticed that the gmt hand was moving slowly but then i set the gmt hand again and now it looks like it just stop moving... :huh: Did i just break the GMT hand? Hours, secs and minutes are all functioning correctly

You know the bracelet for the noob was probably closest to the look of a gen band. I wish the GMT II ceramic's band came that close.