When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16520 Daytona (el Primero)

ubiquitous

• 1 month later...

Thanks, gang :) This one's been the majority shareholder for time on the wrist... Keeping excellent time and is a great conversation piece (even non-WIS seem to be interested in it). The Daytona has a certain charm...

and where can you find such a beautiful watch???

Not exactly found... But built. Started with a genuine case, refinished dial, and added an El Primero 400 from an Ebel 1911 :)

:evil2: FAKE !!!, "swiss made" luminova dial on a non-SEL bracelet, mate you must pass me this watch, I'm looking for a special daytona. Have you any news about the gold PN or 6263?

Toni- Still working on it. I know of 14k solid gold cases, but 18k is a rare find these days. I know they're still out there... It's just a matter of finding it.

One can only do such a project with time time time - and a little magic...

Hurries would be totally wrong as they would end in a lack of quality. This piece asks for special care!

Once again Randy - well done!

Agree, Oli. This was one I didn't mind taking my time with. Finding the right movement was the most important thing for me; I had the opportunity to buy a number of EP 400's, but most were the 17 jewel version, needed overhauling as they were very old and in most cases did not work etc. I'm glad I waited for the 31 jewel, and the movement was factory new old stock as well. Perhaps good things do come to those who wait?

Gets my vote for best Frankenwatch. This is the one we all would kill for. But don't take it personally Randy. :lol:

If I ever buy another Rolex gen this is it. :)

Heehee... Thanks, Warren. If you do get a gen, be sure to look specifically for models that fall within the following serials:

W, T, N (black dials) = possible patrizzi dials (chocolate brown subdials). Check to make sure dial is original to the watch; there are many that had been replaced by RSC's during service, and there are also some artifially browned subdials floating around as well.

A, P = last production models of the 16520 Zenith; P is the transitional year, so fewer were made of this serial than any other.

Personally, I feel the Zenith Daytonas and the vintage V72 Daytonas are the ones to have. Even though each model were made for many years, they'll most likely be much rarer than their new 1165xx counterparts; since Rolex now has an in house movement, you can bet that the new Daytona will be in production for a very long time while Rolex recovers their cost to produce and develop the 4130 caliber.

:)

• 2 weeks later...