When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sick of your ticking quartz wall clock? Well there is an alternative

Chronus

I first came across this a few years ago at work in our Supplies Department. It's a quartz wall clock with a silent sweeping seconds hand. Apparently they bought them in because doctor's surgeries required non-ticking clocks for some reason (anyone care to enlighten me why?). Anyway, I would always stare at it and finally decided I should put one in this room so I looked it up.

I found it's an Acctim Orion wall clock and pretty cheap at around GBP

Edited by Chronus

I've seen these all over local business and institutions of all kinds from many different brands. I've always been impressed by the sweep but most of them have a very bland, industrialist styling whereby production seemed to focus on pure function with zero aesthetics in mind. I like it, but I would never hang something like this in my house. Come on... what would people think if they saw Corgi has the same clock as the one in the waiting room at the DMV?

How do they work, as in how are they able to produce a sweeping motion with quartz? Won't it drain out the batteries really fast?

I got mine earlier today (Wednesday) and it says that you should change the battery once a year, even if it hasn't run out. Made in China of course...

I've seen these all over local business and institutions of all kinds from many different brands. I've always been impressed by the sweep but most of them have a very bland, industrialist styling whereby production seemed to focus on pure function with zero aesthetics in mind. I like it, but I would never hang something like this in my house. Come on... what would people think if they saw Corgi has the same clock as the one in the waiting room at the DMV?

I know what you mean... but the sweeping hand is hypnotic on a wall clock... and no ticking :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Is it possible to take this movement out and put it on one of River's PAM wall clocks and make a new franken? Now that would be nice :D

Hmm...for a display clock, this would be the one that i want:

Panerai display clock from River

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=57368

Sorry, I currently have Panerai fever and when I receive my Omega PO hopefully that will pull me away...

I love that one and may get it someday... but there's no seconds hand so no sweeping !

ive seen some rolex sub and gmt master ones sell on ebay for around $100 they look like giant subs or gmts... apparently its the same ones ADs get in their showroom to put on their walls. i was THIS close >< to buying one, but figured i didnt really need it. i know my local SEARS sells sweep second wall clocks from $10-$40 including a Seiko model

My daughter recieved a Hannah Montana wall clock with sweeping seconds hand for her birthday.

It is not quiet tho.

This is off topic but I just have to vent my anger whenever I hear those two magical words. Hannah Montana is an awful program which is terrible for children and promotes very negative values - it's like one giant ad campaign. I watched a little bit of it and it made me sick. The little girl maintains a good relationship with her father because he buys her whatever the hell she wants. Right. That's something I want children to pick up. What happened to the good shows we had when we were kids?

I think most of the shows they want to watch on the Disney channel is pure [censored]. The girls act like spoiled brats and the attitude they portray is sickening. The children show no respect for adults what so ever. I allow them to watch some of it, in moderation, but I agree with you the TV kids have today is pure [censored].

I would beat that ass if my children acted like those spoiled brat super stars. My children are not perfect, but they are respectful and that's okay with me.

I think most of the shows they want to watch on the Disney channel is pure [censored]. The girls act like spoiled brats and the attitude they portray is sickening. The children show no respect for adults what so ever. I allow them to watch some of it, in moderation, but I agree with you the TV kids have today is pure [censored].

I would beat that ass if my children acted like those spoiled brat super stars. My children are not perfect, but they are respectful and that's okay with me.

I don't know, I kinda like it. So far the Disney machine has turned out quite a few whores. Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Hannah Montana, and the chick from high school musical. The first two flash their goods to any photographer within earshot and the last two are kind enough to take naked or half naked photos of themselves and post them on the internet. But I don't have kids, so what the hell do I know. If I did have kids they damn sure would not watch however.

Riiight back to clocks then :whistling:

Personally, I think wall clocks are overrated and unnecessary, ticking or not.

Now barometers, now we're talking baby, check out the teak inlay, the brushed SS mount, the metallic blue dial... :drool:

picture13xk3.png

You are right, wall clocks are entirely unnecessary. If every place I went to had a wall clock, I would have no excuse to buy watches. And as long as I keep buying watches, I don't need a wall clock.

My daughter recieved a Hannah Montana wall clock with sweeping seconds hand for her birthday.

It is not quiet tho.

The one in the link I posted above is billed as a silent sweep clock, and indeed it is :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You are right, wall clocks are entirely unnecessary. If every place I went to had a wall clock, I would have no excuse to buy watches. And as long as I keep buying watches, I don't need a wall clock.

I have an odd habit of taking off my watch when I get home, but have to have one if I leave the house.

It's great waking up in the morning to check out the time rather than scrambling over to the computer or mobile phone.

Anyway, even if some other place has a wall clock, I use my own wristwatch :D