When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In house movements

enock

Just an idle thought, will we ever see in house movements from Panerai rep'ed by the clever factories that do such a good job on the ETA conversions?

Has it ever happened to other watches, or are the conversions just copies of the 7750 2836-2 et al movements from ETA?

Enock

I am sure someone said the same thing about the 7750 once upon a time!

lol

well... the thing is...

the rep 'factories' arent the ones making the movements. at all.

they get them from one of the handfull of CN movement makers, change the rotors, and bobs your uncle.

so.. what possible reason could pseduo legit movement makers have to replicate an in house panerai movement?

Besides ETA, very few movements have been copied

I know the seiko 7009 has been 'repped'

some of the miyotas have been repped

and the venus 175 (because they bought the tooling from the failed plant lol)

In my experience everything we wish for in the rep world happens sooner or later.. usually later, but it does happen. Its not that long ago that repping the 7750 was considered impossible by many here.

I wouldn't be holding your breath for a high end low volume movement like a Patek, Lange or Richard Mille to be done, but a Rolex 3xxx series is very likely to happen. Due to their popularity I would thing the new Panerai movements are a possibility but not for a while.

I definitely expect to see more 7750 variants like the rattrapante, column wheel, and power reserve and big date versions done, I'd also not to be too surprised to see a 2894 done even though its a very complex movement.

I definitely expect to see more 7750 variants like the rattrapante, column wheel, and power reserve and big date versions done, I'd also not to be too surprised to see a 2894 done even though its a very complex movement.

A rattrapante and a column wheel 7750 would make me happy like a small child on christmas eve... A working flyback and power reserve would be nice, too.

A 7750 well finished with column wheel and rattrapante could make an exact rep of panerai's OP XVIII movement and I'd give my left leg for a good and reliable rep of this movement fittet to a nice radiomir rattrapante.

Isn't there an asian 7750 with big date allready? Thought I've seen something like that in a Breitling rep...

None of the 7750 complications are especially hard to make.. they are just a bunch more little parts just like what's already there, there's no precise balancing or anything, like a tourbilion for example. The venus movement already has a basic column wheel so nothing tricky there.

The swiss are clearly using complications as a way to keep ahead of the rep makers, and make accurate reps impossible, so our side will have to catch up soon.