When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shortening 'short names'

TeeJay

I know some people really hate to have their names shortened, and some names cannot be shortened properly, but, what bugs me, is when a shortened version of a name, is further shortened... For example...

On the cartoon series Recess (My wife watches it... ) there is a character called TJ. This is short for Theodore Jasper... However, he is often refered to, as 'Teej'...

Gary, is a short form for Gareth, yet, on occasion, I have heard it shortened (mangled might be a more apt description) into 'Gairr'...

Not sure why folks do it, but it really bugs me :D

For the record, I am never refered to as 'TJ' in real life, they are simply the initials of my first and middle names, and I couldn't think of anything else as a username when I first signed up (I couldn't actually use 'TJ', so I put it in phonetically :D ) I am, however, mostly refered to by a short form of my name (which fortunately can't be shortened further :D )

Is this something which bugs anyone else? Anyone else hate it when people (other than friends or family) shorten your name without permission?

Yes it can... you can just be called T!

:p

Well yes, this is true, but, that is at least a proper sound :D 'Gair', on the other hand, sounds like, well, I'm not too sure really, but certainly not something someone should respond to as a form of address :D

What I have never understood is why Richard is shortened to Dick? :p

If I was called Richard that would really bug me :lol:

That is a puzzling one... Kind of how William is sometimes shortened to Bill, and Henry is sometimes shortened to Harry. I've even heard (not sure how true it is) that Jack is a shortening of John :o (How it can be considered a shortening, when it has the same amount of letters, I'm not sure :D ) That said, with two cool Captain Jack's (Harkness and Sparrow) in the public consciousness, I can see this name making a return among new parents :)

Guest avitt
What I have never understood is why Richard is shortened to D-ck? :p

If I was called Richard that would really bug me :lol:

But I think it would upset TeeJay if D-ck was shortened :bangin:

Edited by avitt

Well my name is Michael, but I don't mind being called Mike. On forums/web Mick is fine, but spoken for some reason, I don't like it.....

I can understand that. For some reason, the name of the lead character in the series Moonlight, Mick St.John, really grates. It sounds too... 'forced'... I had started watching the series, but my interest in it drifted. That said, Mr St.John can be seen to be wearing a Panerai Luminor in some scenes ;)

But I think it would upset TeeJay if D-ck was shortened :bangin:

In theory, yes... In practice, what could it be shortened to though? Dee would actually sound better :D

I'm sure there are a few people called "Richard Head" who would agree :D

I wonder how many poor souls have that on their birth certificate... :D

It doesn't bother me at all, but I used to work with a guy named Ty who would abbreviate 'Ty' to 'T.', and that always had me shaking my head. Afterall, it's same number of keystrokes!!!!

Out of curiousity, was 'Ty' short for something else, like Tyler?

My name's David... some people who have just been introduced to me feel it necessary to call me 'Dave'... even though I was introduced, or introduced myself as 'David'... yes, that bugs me... I'd rather be called 'D'

Some of my friends call me Dave, but I get over it (in time)... The good and/or close friends know to call me David.

God forbid they call me Davey or Davo (australian for Dave LOL) :o

I'm called "froggy" all the time here. :p

However, my given first and last names both have one vowel in them. So, it's kind of hard to shorten either of them. Most of the time, my friends refer to me by my last name only. But, I don't mind that I guess.