When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN Pam 240 Candid Review Take 2

gavidoc

So, as perhaps 10 of you know, I did a Gavidoc Candid Review of the DSN 240 at the beginning of June and the watch was....well....found wanting in a few places.

DSN 240 Candid Review Take 1

As a recap here were the issues.

1. Movement was dead. Not on arrival but 24 hours later.

2. No gasket in the crown.

3. Poor crownguard and lever.

4. Huge ding in the case.

5. Goober under the cyclops.

It's grade was a C+ on my Gav Grading Scale. Nothing to really right home about. So, on to Take 2.

2-240-01.jpg

After the initial issues with the 240, I contacted David and after a bit of back and forth, he sent out the replacement. He said he was working on improving the crownguard on the TI model as well as the crown (to accept a gasket) but I was going out of town and wanted a replacement "now."

He told me it would be about 2 weeks before it was ready. One week later, it was sent. He even threw in a polished TI bezel free of charge as I had originally contacted him about doing a two tone 240 ala the 172. It arrived in lighting quick speed of 4 days this time and I had it in plenty of time to take on vacation with me. I wore it all that week (I've started the third week of ownership so far) and it is still doing great.

Of course, the first thing I did was to look at the improvements.

1. Movement as stated is still going strong so that's a good sign. So problem 1 taken care of.

2. There is now a gasket in the crown and the lever has a tight action on it as a result of the gasket. So another issue taken care of. The crown sits nicely against the case.

2-240-06.jpg

3. Crownguard and lever are a huge improvment. The first one I got had the lever slightly too high in the CG (the pin wasn't centered) and didn't tighten down on the crown at all. Also, the opening for the lever was poorly made and was uneven. The lever itself was ok but the tip of it was also uneven. The replacement is much better. The pin is centered and pressure is applied to the crown. The guard is slightly uneven and doesn't sit perfectly flush to the case so it will require a bit of rework to make it perfect. The opening for the lever is very straight and true and the lever itself is now even. Problem 3 was taken care of.

2-240-03.jpg2-240-04.jpg2-240-06.jpg

Problem 4 was a huge ding in the case. Well it turns out it isn't a ding and is a fault in the maching process of the cases as this one has it too. Just not nearly as noticeable. I can honestly live with this one as you really have to look to see it. Problem 4 not perfectly taken care of as it is still there.

2-240-05.jpg

Problem 5 was a goobern under the cyclops. The goober is gone on this one now but you can notice a distinct spot of AR between the crystal and the cyclops. Not annoying 100% of the time but it can make telling the date somewhat difficult. My Take 1 had this as well. So while the goober is gone, there is still an existing problem here.

2-240-02.jpg

So there you have it guys. About 3 weeks after the intial purchase I got a watch that was working and is pretty good. This one is a definate improvment over the first one. If the ding in the case was completely gone and the AR on the crystal taken care of this would be a strong B+ closing in on an A-. As it stands, it's a solid B.

A refresher on how my grading works:

A+: 100% 1:1 copy to the Gen (unachievable)

A : No real flaws except with a loupe and has RC Tritec super lume and serviced movement

A-: Serviced movement but has a different brand of super lume.

B+: Like A- but with unserviced movement.

B : A few noticeable flaws.

The dial looks very nice, but that CG is still inexcusably poorly finished, IMO. It's a flat out instant tell to anyone who's ever seen a gen, even on the wrist. I'd love a 240, but the question is whether this rep would be worth throwing on a gen crown and maybe a CG from a 36. Anyone compared the caseback to gen? Engraving quality, # accuracy, etc?

I tried to put my 036 CG (not sure what dealer it's from, but not Davidsen) on the 240 but it would not fit... The problem I have with my 240 CG is that there is no curvature on the top to match the case... if it had that, it would be a really nice watch... with the flat CG, it sticks out like a sore thumb :(

The CG in your photo here looks curved on to... does it have this or is it just because it is such a wide angle shot? I'd really like to know as I'll get a new one if that's the case :)

2-240-03.jpg

my watchmaker did install the davidsen 088 sapphire / gasket in a standard 088 case. fits perfect and looks amazing.

yes it is a sandwich sapphire. the date mag sits in the lower crystal.

rolli

How good is the date section on this watch? Is it the correct font and is the magnification reasonably good. I assume it is a sandwich crystal.

i have the same watch - first transcation with david.

i agree all points but i acutally thought david's lume isn't too bad

my watch died too, the poor A7750 was running slow when it arrived. but just died all of a sudden. ii have it serviced this week.