When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Attn: GMTIIC owners looking to remove a cyclops

freddy333

Another member brought this to our attention last week,, he said he removed his mag using acetone .or nail polish remover which I use to clean the glue out of the bezel insert(you can get 100% pure acetone in the expensive nail polish removers)

and this reminds me to check with chief just to verify that this would not hinder the AR process .. meaning it will not affect the saphire crystal..

If you are careful, you may be able to remove the cyclops without dismantling the watch or removing the crystal. Sometimes, swishing a Q-tip soaked with nail polish around the cyclops will loosen it. Acetone is pretty good at penetrating into the joint where the crystal mates with the cyclops.

No guarantee though & I do not know if the insert would be damaged by the acetone if it spills onto the bezel.

Ok guys....I've just finished doing it...

I disassembled a CN gmt (cyclope was to far right)... popped out the crystal... heated, hitted with a knife => cyclope popped, crystal cleaned, back on the work bench....reassembled!

Tomorrow I'll go to buy some UV cement or glass glue.

It was hard... (I'm a noob) :showoff:

Some advices for those who are brave and want to try to heat the crystal:

Acetone wasn't working, so I used HEAT. A LOT....yeah, you are trying and isn't working?

Don't be afraid, it won't explode. Use MORE heat!

I said MORE :D .

And then, suddenly, the cyclope change colour....that's the time!

Hit the cyclope with a knife....et voil