When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Someone like Genune Swiss Made AP ROO ?

river

maybe this is a stupid question, but HOW can the same module fit on 2 different movements?!?

DD module is just that - a module designed to fit onto other movements (that allow modules) and provide a chrono function.

ETA 2892 is well known for taking on modules, eg. the SOPROD power reserve module in the PAM027 and 028.

DD module is just that - a module designed to fit onto other movements (that allow modules) and provide a chrono function.

ETA 2892 is well known for taking on modules, eg. the SOPROD power reserve module in the PAM027 and 028.

yes yes I know, but how can the same module fit on 2 different movements?!

For the record, just the base movement itself cannot be had for less than $1500 (AP Cal. 2226 ; JLC 889/2). I've already tried VERY hard to source one but have only found those were NOT in running condition.

Believe it or not, the same DD module was also used in vintage Tag Heuer quartz chronographs, so what I can deduce is that it just extends power running on the central seconds on the base movement into a dual transfer system that supplies power to the main watch and chronograph operation, a la 7750.

It can fit multiple movements because ultimately it is the same chrono module and as such the original base movement irrespective of who is making it will alter it (if required) to ensure the module will fit. Jacques ain't making multiple chrono-modules. And he is selling a heck of a lot more units to the eta based watchmakers than AP. :lol:

Must step in and say this statement is flawed. The servicing+refinish costs over $1,200, I have my Black Themes in for servicing right now and I'm being charged CHF 1,500.

You cannot swap the movement in the AP for one of these cheap watches- the genuine APs use a JLC base and have a gold rotor while these cheaper watches use an ETA base but the same Dubois Depraz module. The movement in an AP is a JLC movement (much more valuable) with a Dubois Depraz screwed on top.

:good:

It can fit multiple movements because ultimately it is the same chrono module and as such the original base movement irrespective of who is making it will alter it (if required) to ensure the module will fit. Jacques ain't making multiple chrono-modules. And he is selling a heck of a lot more units to the eta based watchmakers than AP. :lol:

What he said...

The DD module is designed to fit on different movements so as to have a larger audience in terms of sales. ETA is pretty much a standard movement that has been readily available (at least in the past).

The DD module was supposed to be a cheaper way to add chrono functionality. The ETA 7750 integrated everything together and worked out cheaper in the end I think. Also, it is design choice whether to have sec at 9 or 12... if you want sec at 12, you choose the DD module.

It's interesting how there is not a mod in these watches what would bring the date ring to the top and they had just decided to leave it sunk and install a cyclops in there.

In the same note, Girard-Perregaux uses the same module in their chronographs but slightly modifies it by adding a bridge like the 2894 and moves the date ring to the top.

I contacted a watch maker from the place I live to know if he can service a ETA 2892 with DD module and he told me he could, it's his job by the way... very strange but he didn't told me it's not possible to service it and that the module has to be thrown to the garbage...

It can be serviced, it's just complicated... AP find it more cost-effective to put in a brand new movement rather than strip it down and clean it. Apparently there are higher than normal failure rates with these.

Do you know more/numbers concerning this issue??

Ive been told the same too... just wonder how high (%) this counts.

George

I couldn't give you a definitive answer, but if AP are throwing away movements at a service, that probably says something. I talked to the guy at the Omega boutique who was servicing my watch and he said it's true, he'd heard the same thing.

The idea of a genuine movement in the AP sounds good... but the problem will be the cost of servicing in future... will The Zigmeister be servicing everybody's? It's a worry.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm curious about the status of this project... anyone heard from River?

I never got any replies apart from the first one... needed more info on case etc