When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Full Review of EL's PAM 187... and comparison with WatchHonpo version

V

Well.. I got it.. Finally after waiting for so long.

I have seen the watch and wear it at the UK meeting and I think I can compare it with the watchhonpo version.

It is definately the same case.. same weight.. which means HEAVY..

The movement on this is DEFINATELY the 7750b1 version because it is so smoother then than base 7750.

The chrono works perfect (I have it running for the gears to lube) and resets to 0 etc etc..

Subdials are aligning perfect.

The date is thinner than the Watchhonpo version but not so noticable because of the rehault of the datemag.

It is a minus BUT not so different to make it a fuss...trust me.

Only problem (if we can call it a problem) with my watch is that the bezel is not tightened. I know Marks was really REALLY hard to turn and this is so so easy..

I know that neither of the two is ok but I would prefer a tight one than a kind of loose. I guess if someone cares too much he can tighten it????

What about the serial numbers? Are they the same? I have number 995, Eddie in his photoalbum has 298 so I guess it is individualy numbered which is AWESOME...

Difference with the Watchhonpo version... The AR coating.. That's something that it is something NOTICABLE if you put the watches side by side. EL version has no AR at all.

Lume is standard crap rep lume. Not so big problem because this is supposed to be a Tritium dial and shouldn't be so bright.

Don't know if there are any other question... I think it's time for the photos to speak :D

Congrats veni... it IS beautiful!! The only thing that bugs me is the AR and the space between the datewheel and the dial face... Otherwise... Cool as!

Thanks David.. The space of the date doesn't bother me at all. I am used to the same gap at my 196 for around 2 years so no problem on this..

Same with the AR.. But if you have seen KEN's version it is something that makes a difference (of course not for more than 2x the price with a more unstable movement)

The size it is BIG.. and THICK.. but as I said to the guys at the meeting it sits better on the wrist then the fiddy...

The fiddy with the BIG DIAL and no bezel looks WAY bigger.. I said no 47mm for me but the 187 is OK I guess.

I will post a few photos comparing it with other Pams.

I must admit that the rubber strap is very comfy and that I wear the wath and type and never thought I have a 200grams monster to my wrist :D

Side by side with the 196 and 212:

79785-30669.jpg

with 196:

79785-30670.jpg

with 212:

79785-30671.jpg

Thickness with 212:

79785-30672.jpg

Thickness with 196:

79785-30673.jpg

Two more comparisons..

1) The buckle on the EL version is Brushed as it should be (KEN's version has polished one).

2) The He valve is not engraved but embossed BUT although it is very wrong, KEN's is very very little engraved which looks bad like the tool couldn't engrave deeper.

Thanks for the reviews, I'm dying to get mine! It should be coming any day now, ordered it Wednesday . . .

I'm not bothered by minor details on watches like the 212 or 187. Frankly, I don't mind admitting they're reps because it's so easy to say "there's no way I'd pay $8-10K for the real thing but this beast looked so f'n cool that I had to pick it up in Shanghai." IMO a Pam rep gets a much different response from a Rolex rep (paneristi excepted) because it simply doesn't offend people nearly much when you have a rep of a cool-looking watch that's relatively unknown.

Edited by kanerich

Thanks for the review.

Great watch, veni. I ll order one when Andrew or King has it.

I ll wear it with a MF 1942 or a MF 26/26.

Thanks a lot.. I think a MF will be super with the watch...

Although I am also waiting for Eddy's photos with the XaMas..

@Eddy:

The individual numbering makes me think and believe that the case is made from the same manufacturer of KEN's... Not sure because of the He Valve but normal rep makers don't use individual numbering to the watches unless it is an expensive one (Swiss 7750 and 7753)

Nice review V. My takeaway (in summary):

- Better movement (huge improvement)

- Same case

- No AR (further from gen)

- Raised relief HE valve (further from gen)

- Skinny date font (further from gen)

- Pushers maybe shorter (Watchonpo's are too long) (closer to gen)

- Brushed buckle (closer to gen)

IMHO, those who waited to buy are the smart ones. But I am still happy as I like the AR and have been wearing mine on and off for two-three months. This way I won't feel so bad when the 7753 comes out and I am psycho enough to buy it.