When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WATER TEST

CJVCMC

i HAD A WATCH TESTED FOR WATER PROOFING....THE TEST SAYS PASSED ON THE PRINTOUT THEY GAVE ME.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN....TEST PRESSURE: 5.098 BAR

INITIAL STRAIN : -032.9

STRAIN TREND -002.2

Sorry but can't help on the technicalities - where did you get it tested by the way? Are you in London by chance? If not does anyone know of anywhere in or around London where I could get my watches tested? Also give me a rough idea of how much people charge for this...

Many thanks,

Sorry but can't help on the technicalities - where did you get it tested by the way? Are you in London by chance? If not does anyone know of anywhere in or around London where I could get my watches tested? Also give me a rough idea of how much people charge for this...

Many thanks,

no ,i am in us. had to get a battery put in a dive watch,no replica, and sent to citizens where they replaced the seals and battery, tested for proofing, put a new mineral glass on for 82 bucks

Many thanks,

BE BRAVE... close very well the back of your 112 and throw it in the tub (full with water)

Silix's factory has a good reputation in waterproofing so GIVE IT A TRY :D

Does 50m water resist testing really mean anything other than the fact that the watch can get wet and gently submerged? I've had genuine 150m resistant watches fog in the surf or after springboard diving into shallow water where they are subjected to dynamic pressures greater than their depth rating. In other words, is anything other than a true divers rating of 200m and a screw down crown a guarantee of water resistance that one can trust at poolside?

BE BRAVE... close very well the back of your 112 and throw it in the tub (full with water)

Silix's factory has a good reputation in waterproofing so GIVE IT A TRY :D

Veni, you're braver than I! What scares me most is the fact that the crown guard is fairly loose - but the crown does click into place so I should just try it - I did follow your advice and tighten the back with my rubber gloves on! Just got to put it in the water now!!

I'm getting tempted to try it, along with the Omega SMP that I got from them too.... anyone have any experiences with their SMP's?

I can only help with the pressure...

5.0 bar means that the watch withstood a pressure of 5bar meaning theoretical submersion to 50 meters.

I say theoretical because the momentum pressure is often much higher. Imagine having a watch on teh wrist, 50m under water - now you start moving, the pressure increases as force of movement is added. Also, if you jump a cliff with your watch into the water it may happen that the watch does not stand the quick pressure change.

It is safe to say, that you can swim with your watch. You may also dive to a safe depth of 10m. But that's just my opinion. But not down to the theoretical 50m.

thanks rep!

Me too. I was just wondering in my post if waterproofing as an added value upgrade package is worth it if only to 50m. Do any rep manufacturers waterproof their reps to 200m?

Who would need a watch that is waterproof to 200m? I guess someone might want to dive to 200m (600 feet)! I had my Sub LV (from Josh) on this weekend, and it is at least good to 10m. I know that for a fact, and that is good enough for me.

1 BAR Gauge is equal to 14.6 PSI.

atmospheric pressure at sea level is 0 BAR Guage pressure or 1 BAR absolute.

5 bars means that this watch will withstand 5 x normal pressure than at sea level. eg. 1 Bar = 14.5psi x 28.8 " water guage. This = 34.8 feet per atmosphere. 5 x 34.8 = 174 feet.

nice long winded bit of info there but you get the picture! lol.

Tim.

ps. the first tech question at the top i think the inital strain is the pressure exerted on the watch case at the very start of is presuriseing ad the strain trend is the speed at which the pressure builds up at ??

Who would need a watch that is waterproof to 200m? I guess someone might want to dive to 200m (600 feet)! I had my Sub LV (from Josh) on this weekend, and it is at least good to 10m. I know that for a fact, and that is good enough for me.

As I stated earlier, a depth rating means nothing except in relation to the water resistance ratings of other watches. You can subject a watch to the same static pressure it would experience at 200m while swimming vigorously at a depth of 1 meter. This is why the 200m rating is a benchmark. It means a watch can withstand the kind of dynamic pressures it would encounter during scuba diving, ie. swimming under water at say 15 meters. If you think your 30m wr watch is safe taking a dive off the springboard into the pool or body surfing in the ocean, then you are putting it at significant risk.

You can subject a watch to the same static pressure it would experience at 200m while swimming vigorously at a depth of 1 meter. This is why the 200m rating is a benchmark.

I can't entirely get my head around this, but something just doesn't feel right (i.e. I could be totally wrong).

200m is an absolutely fuc*ing insane amount of pressure - 21kg per cm2. It's at the limits of human endurance. Yet we feel this with vigorous swimming? Wouldn't people pass out all the time?

As I said, I don't know, it just doesn't sit right.

i HAD A WATCH TESTED FOR WATER PROOFING....THE TEST SAYS PASSED ON THE PRINTOUT THEY GAVE ME.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN....TEST PRESSURE: 5.098 BAR

INITIAL STRAIN : -032.9

STRAIN TREND -002.2

As Repaustria said, the test was for 5bar = 50m depth, and obviously it passed.

So that is the pressure at which the test is conducted, the other two figures are the results of that test.

I think the initial strain is the amount that the case compresses (shrinks) when the pressure is first applied. The strain trend then shows the change in that distortion after a period of time (say a minute).

If the trend is stable or negative then that is good - nothing is getting into the case. If the trend shows a positive, then something got into the case during the time the pressure was applied.

I think that's right - but someone else might know better.

:)

I can't entirely get my head around this, but something just doesn't feel right (i.e. I could be totally wrong).

200m is an absolutely fuc*ing insane amount of pressure - 21kg per cm2. It's at the limits of human endurance. Yet we feel this with vigorous swimming? Wouldn't people pass out all the time?

As I said, I don't know, it just doesn't sit right.

Think of what you are doing while swimming. First off, the dynamic pressure is not only changing relative to overall pressure but can also be very localized. Your head is large and relativly passive but your hands are literally pulling you along and pressures at various local points can be huge. You couldnt stand an unprotected speed fast enough to produce a thunderclap yet you can move air quickly enough locally by clapping your hands and squeezing out air at a high enough speed to cause a shock wave powerful enough that, if it were to be reproduced in an area over your entire body, would probably burst your eardrums and cause a loss of consciousness. The dynamic pressure breach in a watch has only to be large enough and local enough to break a small point on a seal or a tiny spot on a loosely fitting crystal etc....

And people do pass out all the time from a violent change in very localized dynamic pressure like when a boxer's fist comes in contact with an opponents jaw and creates tremendous concussive pressure in the mandibular joint.

Edited by crystalcranium