When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Taking on the 6542 GMT Master

freddy333

And I have a master jeweler here in SoCal that can either laser engrave or hand engrave whatever is wanted/needed on a case.

So if you find the case you need and want it engraved to your specs, let me know. Ive had two done already and another one going in next week.

Depending on the case I use, I may take you up on your offer. Thanks.

I'm going to throw my $0.02 in and see what you think.

How about using the MBW/MBK 6541 Milgauss as a start? It will accept a plastic/Bakelite bezel (which can be ordered from Classic Watch Parts), also takes a genuine/genuine-sized crystal.

I thought the MBW Milgauss 6541 has the proper dimensions and thin case?

I thought the only major flaw with the MBW 6541 is that the crown sits too low. BUT...what about filling the hole and re-drilling/re-tapping the hole in the proper place?

Filling the hole shouldn't be too difficult...have a machine shop (maybe even a bicycle shop) TIG-weld the crown tube hole closed.

The question is: if you re-drilled the crown tube hole, how would that affect the fitting of the movement? Will u then be forced to remove metal from the rehaut?

I've always wanted a PanAm 6542 and have been thinking about this project for a while. Other than going with a $1000 Vietnamese case, I think your best bet is modding a MBW.

Freddy, I also tried my CWP bond sub bezel on this later version Silix bond sub case and it was the same issue as the older thin case sub -the case was wider than the bezel.

Comparing the case width to the bezel -- It is kind of hard to tell based on Silix's pictures, so I may be seeing things that are not there, but it looks like the higher profile cases are also narrower than the bezel. This is Silix's rols168 (1 of the higher profile cases)

rols168-6.jpg

This is rols176, the thinner case that I am considering

rols176-6.jpg

Check with Saabin and see what he did with his 6542, his sure looks like the same case as the Silix 1675 I have. Which is the correct thin case.

Saabin used a 'non MBW 1680 from ebay' & I think I know which case he used. But since I do not have access to the equipment he has, I do not think his case will work. As long as I can get the bezel to fit the Silix rols176 case, I think I will be able to correct its minor sins with a dremel.

Based on the pictures on Silix's site, the CG-less Subs seem to come in 2 sizes/shapes

The rols176 that I am interested in has this profile

rols176-2.jpg

And rols168 & all of Silix\'s other CG-less Subs have profiles like this

rols168-2.jpg

I'm going to throw my $0.02 in and see what you think.

How about using the MBW/MBK 6541 Milgauss as a start? It will accept a plastic/Bakelite bezel (which can be ordered from Classic Watch Parts), also takes a genuine/genuine-sized crystal.

I thought the MBW Milgauss 6541 has the proper dimensions and thin case?

I thought the only major flaw with the MBW 6541 is that the crown sits too low. BUT...what about filling the hole and re-drilling/re-tapping the hole in the proper place?

Filling the hole shouldn't be too difficult...have a machine shop (maybe even a bicycle shop) TIG-weld the crown tube hole closed.

The question is: if you re-drilled the crown tube hole, how would that affect the fitting of the movement? Will u then be forced to remove metal from the rehaut?

I've always wanted a PanAm 6542 and have been thinking about this project for a while. Other than going with a $1000 Vietnamese case, I think your best bet is modding a MBW.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the MBW 6541 case is much too thick (high profile), but I have not seen 1 in awhile so I could be wrong. And I believe only the 1680 & 1665 MBWs accept gen parts without alot of modding.

Nanuq was gratious enough to post this pic that illustrates the progression of GMT case styles from the 6542 (at top) to the more modern GMTs (at bottom)

gmtcases.jpg

There are very few rep cases that have the correct profile, which is what makes these projects so complicated.

6542bezel2.jpg

As you have inspired my interest here Freddy, can you tell me the source of such a fine bezel. The ones that are on the bay made of perspex are very bright in colour where yours has a much more subtle bronze colour scheme. Im a guessing yours is a gen?

thanks ST4

Comparing the case width to the bezel -- It is kind of hard to tell based on Silix's pictures, so I may be seeing things that are not there, but it looks like the higher profile cases are also narrower than the bezel. This is Silix's rols168 (1 of the higher profile cases)

This is rols176, the thinner case that I am considering

rols176-6.jpg

Saabin used a 'non MBW 1680 from ebay' & I think I know which case he used. But since I do not have access to the equipment he has, I do not think his case will work. As long as I can get the bezel to fit the Silix rols176 case, I think I will be able to correct its minor sins with a dremel.

Freddy, sorry I don't have a photo of how the bezel sized up against either case, but I's say it was about 2mm narrower than the case. Its most obvious between the lugs. Perhaps that portion could be dremeled down??? The ROLS176 seems to be the closest base for your project.

I can tell you the lug holes on the ROLS176 do not line up with any end links/bracelets (the springbars were bent a good 30 degrees) and will likely need to be filled and redrilled.

I hear ya, Saabin has quite a setup :o .

One quick clarification- "Saabin used a non-MBW 1680 from ebay". Actually it was a 1680 from aBay- which was Paul's old company from 3-4 years ago. Of course, I don't know if he still sells the same 1680 or not- stuff has changed a lot in 4 years-heck, you can hardly find a case with lug holes these days.

And of course, grinding off the cg's isn't for the faint hearted either.

As you have inspired my interest here Freddy, can you tell me the source of such a fine bezel. The ones that are on the bay made of perspex are very bright in colour where yours has a much more subtle bronze colour scheme. Im a guessing yours is a gen?

thanks ST4

classicwatchparts.com

Freddy, sorry I don't have a photo of how the bezel sized up against either case, but I's say it was about 2mm narrower than the case. Its most obvious between the lugs. Perhaps that portion could be dremeled down??? The ROLS176 seems to be the closest base for your project.

I can tell you the lug holes on the ROLS176 do not line up with any end links/bracelets (the springbars were bent a good 30 degrees) and will likely need to be filled and redrilled.

Yes, I am expecting to have to figure something out on the lug holes, but I think I am going with the rols176 case.

One quick clarification- "Saabin used a non-MBW 1680 from ebay". Actually it was a 1680 from aBay- which was Paul's old company from 3-4 years ago. Of course, I don't know if he still sells the same 1680 or not- stuff has changed a lot in 4 years-heck, you can hardly find a case with lug holes these days.

Right on all counts. The lug holes will be an issue that I will have to work out.

And of course, grinding off the cg's isn't for the faint hearted either.

I have done that before, but I actually prefer the basic shape of the Silix case as a base to work from.