When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sold All my Reps to buy these..........

.....Think of it like 'graduating' from marijuana to crack cocaine.....

Oh boy, so this is were I'm going to after just having bought a gen Link Chrono and saving for a PAM111 now..... :lol:

@Skool: I can see where you're going to with a sporty tool watch and a dressy evening watch. For just that little extra variety you might wanna add a PAM.... ;)

The funny thing is that if I put my mind to it, this would be easy to buy with the proceeds of my reps:

http://www.watchreport.com/2005/05/the_seiko_marin.html

The Seiko Springtime GMT Marinemaster looks fantastic. I love the idea of having a springtime watch after researching the movement and knowing how long it took to develop.

Funnily enough I like the Submariner so much I am toying with the idea of already exchanging it for another Sub style watch, and the Seiko is growing on me....

The 16610 I purchased from Watchfinder, was four years old pre-owned but in perfect condition and I paid I think

I think you made the right choice. I have been doing the same. I only have 1 EXP II rep left that I will sell soon.

I have picking up some incredible deals off TZ, Bond Pro Auto for 750, Steelfish SO New model blk face SS for 1150, with the prices of the reps going up and up It is just not worth it to me anymore......Unless I am looking for a Presidental 18K Ha.....

Sure you can buy gens insted of res, but lets talk price.

A AP ROO cost 20k$ and realy is just a steel case whit a chrono movment the rep cost 600$ and is great in terms of quality and function.

So if you can live life whit 800$ gens then go head if that makes you happy then that is what matters..

Cheers

i think if you really like this hobby, sooner or

later you're gonna end up with some gens.

there is something different about the look and feel

of the gens that can't be captured by the rep.

also- you can get pretty good deals on some of the less exclusive

brands especially on the net. I have a gen SS Timewalker (not chrono)

i paid about $1700.

I doubt that i'd pay 20k for a gen; but i have paid up to 7k for a gen

TT GMT ceramic

I had gens before I found you all many moons ago, and now I will have gens & reps when someone closes the lid on me. There are some brands such as Panerai that I have had gens of but sold off because of the quality of reps on them. Others such as Omega, Breitling, ect I see the same result. Reps are very close and why buy the gen.

Right now there are some nice deals on second hand gens to be had. I have picked up several nice ones with inhouse movements the last few months and always on the lookout. Gens are nice no doubt, but without this hobby I would have spent many more $`s trying this or that on, then finding out it`s not for me and taking a bath on it in the secondary market.

Skool, I hear what your saying.

Having both is the right mix for me.

Then again, the right mix does change frequently. :p

I think it all boils down to what you want out of watches you own. When I first began to collect reps, it was all about variety. I thought it was cool to own loads of reps of expensive brand watches and then wear them to make everyone else think how rich I am. Sad, yes, and many of us have been guilty of it and still are to this day.

After giving it some thought, I personally found that loads of reps/variety just wasn't right for me. I began to appreciate the watches for what they were, and looked beyond the brand name purely. With loads of variety there was no way I could appreciate them all properly, as many of them wouldn't receive much wrist time. I also found that I was buying several reps simply because they were 'in' at the time and were new releases etc. but they weren't right for me. I admire my watches while worn on the wrist, not looking through glass or sitting on a shelf.

Now I have a different outlook on watches/reps. I now buy with the intention of wearing them for many years. Not suprisingly, there are several reps out there where the quality of the fit and finish is on par with the gen, (at a fraction of the gen price) and these are the ones I go for. I keep my collection nice and compact, because I only want to buy watches that I truly like and receive ample wrist time. I'm all for collecting, and do appreciate that there are collectors who collect items simply to have in the collection, not necessarily to be used, thats just not me :)

I used to have 2 gen Subs and the SMP gen automatic. Had to sell them some time ago and do not miss them at all, since I got them all as reps now and many more! Especially on the Sub I cannot see a difference between the rep and the gen.

The only gens I buy now are vintage, but they are somewhat like reps - always something to do on them. :D

I'm about to sell the rest of my reps. I sold 7 a couple of months ago and am selling 5 more this week. I'm just deciding what single rep to keep.

I am now collecting gens, but may get a rep or two in the future. I have bought all of them second hand and have a nice collection of interesting and inexpensive pieces.

My gen collection (not including Seiko divers)

Schaumberg Nauticfish

Oris Regulateur

Sinn U1

Omega SMP

UBoat Flightdeck

Breitling Skyland