When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shaphire my a## !

pubus

I told myself never ever buy anything without a shaphire glass. Guess what?

shaphirenc9.jpg

Woke up today seeing this [censored]. Im mad as hell. I cant remember anything I did with my watch yesterday that could give me this gift.

No, I wasnt drunk.

Either way I had to touch my watch against something really really unique yesterday or this so called shaphire, which passed water drop tests and few others, has less in common with real shaphire than I could expect.

Anybody knows if theres a way to remove this scratch other than replacing the whole crystal?

Kuba

I had finnaly caved in and bought one of those electronic diamond testers that can also tell sapphire from mineral crystal. Out of all my watches there were 2 (two) that had an actual sapphire crystal. One was the new GMT Master IIc and the other one an older day/date Rolex with a real ETA movement.

Everything else was false advertisement I guess. <_<

If there is something to remove it, I would be interested also.

I can tell you that I have spent hours with a dremel and various rouge compounds trying to remove a scratch from the glass off my old EL 127. Nothing. Bought a DSN.

I would guess some diamond paste like a dentist would use could get it out, but where to find that?

I had finnaly caved in and bought one of those electronic diamond testers that can also tell sapphire from mineral crystal. Out of all my watches there were 2 (two) that had an actual sapphire crystal. One was the new GMT Master IIc and the other one an older day/date Rolex with a real ETA movement.

Everything else was false advertisement I guess. <_<

did you happen to post the bad crystals- that would be useful info for us all.

I mean, can those chinise manufactures make a mineral crystals that can cheat a water drop test? The most popular test?? This would be an absurd!!

Coat it with nano technology car polish and it will pass the water drop test.

I would guess some diamond paste like a dentist would use could get it out, but where to find that?

I am using diamond paste exclusively now for removing AR. For removing scratches, however, it's not so straight forward. You need to start with a grit size larger than the size of the scratch and then gradually work down in grit sizes to acheive the final smooth/polished surface. It's not worth the expense, though, because the diamond paste is very expensive. Obtaining a new crystal is much cheaper.

Guest avitt

Is there any chance that you may have brushed your wrist against an lady's diamond ring? That can cause the type of damage that you have, and is not that uncommon.

Coat it with nano technology car polish and it will pass the water drop test.

you think manufacturer would really care for this or be that smart to avoid simpliest shaphire autencity test?

Is there any chance that you may have brushed your wrist against an lady's diamond ring? That can cause the type of damage that you have, and is not that uncommon.

Nope, no chance B)

This watch came from TWP from FathersDay sale at RWI nearly a year ago and it wasnt really advertised as shaphire but when I told TWP that crystal passed water drop test he told me some of hes cheap asian Pams comes with shaphire, I had no doubt in what he told me until now.

I brushed this crystal with many surfaces through the time I own it and I remember one time I brushed it with the edge of my car window glass that scratched my other mineral pam one day in the past and it came harmless out of the action. I really believe that either way I did touched it with someting unusuall or I might have only thought it got in contact with cars window glass edge that time then.

Anyway theres something clearly wrong -_-

Water drop test and this scratch? Damn strange <_<

Edited by pubus

I've gotten a long deep sratch out from my beater fiddy.. I've been using it every day at work for 4 years now.. and have gotten scratches out of the Mineral glass with metal polish and a dremel... it's relatively soft ... should come out .. no problem..then polish with the same aluminium mag polish and a soft cloth to get out the swirls

Even Sapphire is not 100% scratch resistant, just say goodbye to that myth. You actually can scratch a sapphire crystal with quartz or corund. But the other, softer material will suffer more damage. That beein mentioned, no one will bother causing a scratch on a brick wall with his watch, but scratches on the watch crystal are annoying. A true sapphire crystal tends to break rather than scratch, but that

I agree, both 100% scratch resistance of sapphire and reliability of the water drop test are myths.

This leaves you with unability to tell whether that crystal is sapphire or glass.

In any case, your best option is to replace it.