When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a doctor in the house?

TeeJay

Silly question, I know there are several doctor's here, but isn't that what hosts/cabin crew always ask?

This isn't an emergency, or even a huge concern, and not something I'd want to visit a doctor for, because I'd feel it was taking appointment time away from someone who was actually ill...

Okay, down to the symptoms...

For many many years, I have cracked my knuckles. Equally, for many years, several joints (wrist, knees, a once near-shattered ankle and neck) have also cracked when pressure is applied. About five years ago, I dropped a pen and twisted round to pick it up. I'd intended for the whole chair to move, but, for some reason, I only moved from the waist up, and, the force with which I turned, meant must of my lumbar vertebrae 'cracked', as if I was at an osteopath :lol: At first, I thought "F*CK!!! I've crippled myself!!!" Then I realized I hadn't soiled myself, could still feel my toes, and my back actually felt better for the 'readjustment'...

For the last few weeks, my lower spine has begun to feel, well, not stiff, precicely, as I've not suffered any loss of movement or mobility, but, more like a joint feels before it is cracked, and, sure enough, a few carefull twists will crack the lumbar vertebrae.

Now... Is this the begining of something ominous like Ankylosing Spondylitis, or just the beginning of 'old age' starting to show, and nothing to worry about? I know from speaking to a chiropractor years ago, that 'controlled cracking' is not particularly damaging, and, if a patient needed it, they would not hesitate to make such an adjustment, so that's not really my concern, what is concerning me, however, is the frequency with which I am feeling the need to do so... Might something like more fish oils or glycosamine supplements be of benefit to allieviate this 'stiffening'?

Thanks in advance :)

facet spondylosis.

ie arthritic vetebral facet joints

welcome to old age.

wear and tear; genetics, accidents, hard work, hard play, it all adds up in the end.

watch your weight, stay in good physical shape, NSAIDS - non steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs,

and say a prayer to the arthritis gods every morning to spare you further pain and suffering.

we all get it, some worse than others.

facet spondylosis.

ie arthritic vetebral facet joints

welcome to old age.

wear and tear; genetics, accidents, hard work, hard play, it all adds up in the end.

watch your weight, stay in good physical shape, NSAIDS - non steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs,

and say a prayer to the arthritis gods every morning to spare you further pain and suffering.

we all get it, some worse than others.

As long as it's just 'old age', that I can deal with :) My mother suffers from chronic osteo-arthritis (now in every bone in her body) and AS, and I wondered if this might be the begining of such a route for myself... I've just read though, that the chances of a child developing AS from a parent with it, is quite low :) I'm not experiencing any pain or discomfort or loss of mobility, simply experiencing the same 'stiffening/pressurized' sensation I get in a finger joint before cracking a knuckle.

PS When it comes to 'adjustments', I am not a 'violent wrencher', but go for a 'gradual pressure', as I'd really rather not risk crippling myself in the process :lol:

PPS I get this feeling in the evening before bed, after a day of activity, not in the morning, after a night of inactivity...

Just a word of warning here, whereas cracking may be seen by some as benefical popping is a whole different ball game.

That story about twisting to pick up the pen sent a shiver down my spine as I know it had the potential to put me in a wheelchair, if you feel your spine needs adjustment go and see a good physiotherapist never attempt to do it yourself.

Ken

Just a word of warning here, whereas cracking may be seen by some as benefical popping is a whole different ball game.

That story about twisting to pick up the pen sent a shiver down my spine as I know it had the potential to put me in a wheelchair, if you feel your spine needs adjustment go and see a good physiotherapist never attempt to do it yourself.

Ken

Thanks for the advice, amigo, I might well do that, especially if it continues. The first time I did it, it was purely accidental, and indeed, in the intervening years, never felt the need to do it again. It's only within the past month that I've noticed that 'pressurized' sensation, and guessed from the same sensation in other joints, that a manipulation was required...

As above, if this is just 'old age' settling in, that's fine, I just wondered if there might be anything I could eat or take to help alleviate it :)

The sensation you are feeling is due to inflammation in the bursa of the joints. Most likely due to normal aging that causes a changes in the forces on the spine.

It feels good to "crack" these joints because the leads to release of gases from within the synovial membranes, and temporary relief of pressure or pain. In most cases though, the pressure or pain will return.

There is some research suggesting that chronic cracking can lead to arthritis and lead to further problems. A worse case scenario would be a herniated or bulging disc that is causing pressure on the spinal nerves. Much more painful.

I would not recommend "cracking" as you are never sure of the possible injury you can be doing. I agree with JJFlash, NSAIDs and healthy physical excercise are good adjuncts. Strengthening the abdominal muscles (ie crunches) will take the work load off of the spinal muscles and may make you less prone to injury.

I just wondered if there might be anything I could eat or take to help alleviate it

Well arsenic would remove all your problems.........................and I mean all of them :D

Ken

TJ:

I can only give you my personal experience, Although I'm not a doctor; my physician father was a medical internist; I was a pre-med student and I've stayed in a Holiday Inn. I'm 61 and have had no arthritic joint problems but did suffer a couple of lateral herniated discs last year (from a bad habit of lifting a lot of heavy objects all my life without using support - you know furniture, women, cases of liquor). I've been at 20+ years of constant running and weight training since I cleaned up my act. When age progressed to where I started to feel my knee joint 8 years ago I started on a regimen of condroiton/glucosamine complex which seemed to relieve the tight painful feelings. X-rays of my knees last year shows that I don't have the cartilage or tendons of a 20 year old, but I still have good knee cartilage and no knee problems so I'm still running. Now this could be all in my head as the condroiton/glucosamine may just be having a placebo effect on me but I do my research. If you want to take something to maybe alleviate your condition, you might try that. Make sure you don't miss the Bottom Line in This Article on the supplements.

Good Luck and welcome to my world of impending geezerhood.

OK first of all I'm not a doctor but a male nurse.

It is very hard to access you when we don't know your age occupation and general fitness level but what i would recommend, knowing what little i do know about you, is that you would seriously benefit from yoga. I know yoga sounds hippy or something your mum might do with her friends in the women's institute.

I've been doing yoga for 10 years now and it fu**ing hard and if it helps keep those joints moving longer then you should go for it.

but i guess you probably wont do anything because we really don't care that much about ourselves (no offence)

TJ:

I can only give you my personal experience, Although I'm not a doctor; my physician father was a medical internist; I was a pre-med student and I've stayed in a Holiday Inn. I'm 61 and have had no arthritic joint problems but did suffer a couple of lateral herniated discs last year (from a bad habit of lifting a lot of heavy objects all my life without using support - you know furniture, women, cases of liquor). I've been at 20+ years of constant running and weight training since I cleaned up my act. When age progressed to where I started to feel my knee joint 8 years ago I started on a regimen of condroiton/glucosamine complex which seemed to relieve the tight painful feelings. X-rays of my knees last year shows that I don't have the cartilage or tendons of a 20 year old, but I still have good knee cartilage and no knee problems so I'm still running. Now this could be all in my head as the condroiton/glucosamine may just be having a placebo effect on me but I do my research. If you want to take something to maybe alleviate your condition, you might try that. Make sure you don't miss the Bottom Line in This Article on the supplements.

Good Luck and welcome to my world of impending geezerhood.

@omni.....I echo your recommendaation of the glocousamine/chondroitin regimen and I would add MSM to that......and BTW: it's not placebo effect.....I've been a runner of and on but, it became a daily routine when I got out of the service in '86. In '95 I had to stop running because of osteoarthritis, then I read the book of Dr. Theodasakis about his study/research on gloco/chondro and I started taking them......3 months later I was back running. I've added weight training to my routine about 15 years ago and always feel great for my age......BTW: your older than me :D ! Once in awhile I experience what TJ is going thru and I also self adjust my self and it always feel better after that. It's also my routine before a heavy weight workout (chest/shoulder)........just like part of stretching routine. My sis-in-law whos a chiro says its ok!

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, guys.

Knowing the mechanics behind 'cracking joints', the thing I don't understand, is, is this down to an increased production of synovial fluids?

I think I'll start simple with some glycosamine supplements. When I damaged my shoulder a few months back, a gel with glycosamine in it made a significant improvement, and accellerated the healing time considerably.

Thanks again :)

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, guys.

Knowing the mechanics behind 'cracking joints', the thing I don't understand, is, is this down to an increased production of synovial fluids?

I think I'll start simple with some glycosamine supplements. When I damaged my shoulder a few months back, a gel with glycosamine in it made a significant improvement, and accellerated the healing time considerably.

Thanks again :)

Hi TJ,

Forgot to ask you, are you taking any statins or anti-cholesterol meds?

Hike

Hola, amigo :) I'm not on any medications at all, and, last time I had it checked, my cholesterol was only 3.5 :good:

That's excellent, Mate! jUST CURIOUS KOZ those cholesterol lowering drugs are famous for muscular side effects! I take them (hereditary), that's why I

know and I used to work for a huge pharmaceutical company. I think you should be fine! Remember when you start taking the glocousamine/chondroitine complex

(I'll add msm if I were you) it takes about three weeks to start kicking in. Also start @3 times a day (to total 2250mg/day) for 3 months and then taper off to twice

a day for a maintenance dose! That's what works for me, anyway!

Good luck......and have fun on your wedding day if I forgot!

Hike

That's excellent, Mate! jUST CURIOUS KOZ those cholesterol lowering drugs are famous for muscular side effects! I take them (hereditary), that's why I

know and I used to work for a huge pharmaceutical company. I think you should be fine! Remember when you start taking the glocousamine/chondroitine complex

(I'll add msm if I were you) it takes about three weeks to start kicking in. Also start @3 times a day (to total 2250mg/day) for 3 months and then taper off to twice

a day for a maintenance dose! That's what works for me, anyway!

Good luck......and have fun on your wedding day if I forgot!

Hike

Ahh, thanks for the advice :) I think the thing which concerned me, was the abruptness with which the actual need to crack my back came on. When I did it years ago, I'd felt fine before, it was purely accidental, and, despite feeling fine before, I felt better for it... The recent adjustments, however, I'd been feeling that wierd 'pressure' in my lower back, had a hunch, so twisted in my seat, a few cracks later, the pressure was gone, just like when I crack my knuckles :lol: I think my most unusual 'crack', is, sometimes, if I sleep on my right hand side (and arm), when I wake up, across the top of my breastbone feels 'tight', and, stretching my shoulders back, sure enough, will make that crack :lol: The thing that gets me with that, is there are no joints to pop in that area :lol:

@omni.....I echo your recommendaation of the glocousamine/chondroitin regimen and I would add MSM to that......and BTW: it's not placebo effect.....I've been a runner of and on but, it became a daily routine when I got out of the service in '86. In '95 I had to stop running because of osteoarthritis, then I read the book of Dr. Theodasakis about his study/research on gloco/chondro and I started taking them......3 months later I was back running. I've added weight training to my routine about 15 years ago and always feel great for my age......BTW: your older than me :D ! Once in awhile I experience what TJ is going thru and I also self adjust my self and it always feel better after that. It's also my routine before a heavy weight workout (chest/shoulder)........just like part of stretching routine. My sis-in-law whos a chiro says its ok!

MSM has done the job for my shoulders.. a Nuerosugen at the gym advised that the body needs 20,000 mgs daily and as we grow older our body produces less

so I started taking 15 to 20 thou mgms a day and within a month my shoulders were back to feeling great !!

Glucoisamine and Chondrotin never really helped.. as every person is different.. my knees are ravaged .. hardly any cartilage left .. ligaments torn in the past..

when my dad found ...

Trigosamine .. on the internet.. the added enzyme is ...HYALURONATE13..it's a building block" for "joint fluids"..this particular Acid is mainly for shoulders.. but it seems that it affects people differently .... as my knees feel better with it.. also since it affects the knees for me.. my IT band along the outside of the quads feel more elastic..the IT band affects the muscles in your legs and glutes ergo your back..... but I still use a hard foam roller to stretch my IT band.. and my hamstrings and glutes affect my lumbar also.. when they are tight my lower back experiences pain... so alot of stretching in these areas helps tremendously.. I use the yoga stretches for the glutes and IT also.. calves..all affect the lower back.. although doctors told me long ago that the heavy squating would produce arthritis.. oh well .. it's the price we pay..

Pain is inevitable .. but pre and post stretching especially if your sitting for extended times helps more than ibuprophen..your hams and glutes tighten up significantly if your training and the next day you are in the sitting position for your work..