When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Checking on my SoCal brothers...

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

Just checking to make sure my SoCal brothers are alright. We just had a 5.8 mag earthquake outside of Diamond Bar, CA.

We felt it pretty strong all the way down here in Carlsbad.

Hope all is well, get ready for the big one!!!

Check out the USGS website, its REALLY interesting!

T

I was on the top floor of our building, and the second wave was very intense. No damage, but we have a HUGE mess to clean up in the lab since the water baths and sonicators sloshed about 100 gallons all over the benchtops and into the drawers and cabinets.

We rocked for about 5 minutes, it was kind of fun except for all the people yelling and running around.

HA...I just got a text from my brother who recently moved from Seattle to Corona Del Mar that said he just experienced his first earthquake while on the toilet... :D

...and my reply? Naturally, "Well if it scared the crap out of you, at least you were in the right place!!" :D

He said it felt like the house was coming down.

I didn't feel it as I was out running errands but it seems like everyone else did. I'm scared to death of earthquakes. I was pretty much traumatized by the Bay Area '89 quake. I was a just a kid but the weeks after the quake were the worst of my life up to this point. I know, I know... :animal_rooster:

I didn't feel it as I was out running errands but it seems like everyone else did. I'm scared to death of earthquakes. I was pretty much traumatized by the Bay Area '89 quake. I was a just a kid but the weeks after the quake were the worst of my life up to this point. I know, I know... :animal_rooster:

I was in the heart of the quake zone in '89 also (it measured 7.0 where I was), and on the 10th floor of a building built on seismic rollers. This means the building is designed to rock side to side rather than resist rocking, as a fixed foundation would do. Of course I learned all this after the fact and was sure the building was coming down in the moment.... It was and still is the one time in my life where I thought - no I knew - I was going to die. Gotta love being wrong from time to time... B)

Pasadena here, on the top of a 9 floor building and no real damage, but it shook the sh*t of out me. Friend was downtown at the top of a 50 floor building and things were off the shelves up there.

I just feel sorry for the saddle back high crane (the one that looks like a T will weights at the end) operator. He had a hell of a day! as his load was still swaing 10 minutes after the quake...

Yours

Enock

Just checking to make sure my SoCal brothers are alright. We just had a 5.8 mag earthquake outside of Diamond Bar, CA.

We felt it pretty strong all the way down here in Carlsbad.

Hope all is well, get ready for the big one!!!

Check out the USGS website, its REALLY interesting!

T

Hey Carlsbad - Rode it out from the fifteenth floor down town LA. Our building is on rollers and boy did it roll...

Bulldog - I drive through Irvine on the way home form LA. I will be around Irvine anytime after 4PM - I 'd like to buy you a beer. PM me with your cell # if we can get together.

It was pretty shaky to say the least. A piece of an old wooden miniature japanese temple (family heirloom) fell from the top of a bookshelf. It did not break though.

Frickin' cats just slept thru it with no shame in their game :crazy:

Cheers to all our SoCal earthquake riders... I hope everyone is fine & dandy.

yeah, it was rock and roll here today. I thought I was just having an inner ear problem until the books fell of the shelves.

Luckily, the important thing is that all my fake watches are OK.

:D Guess we know where your priorities lie. I can see it now. Yeah a bunch stuff fell on the cars in the garage and damaged them. Everything fell off the walls and shelves and broke. The plasma TV fell over and broke but the watches are all okay. Lol. Have been out there before but never during a quake. Must be something to go through one.

The last earthquake I was sleeping in, it felt exactly like someone was shaking my bed to wake me up. Today, at first it felt just like a really fat guy was stomping by my desk, then the building started swaying on it's rollers. It's hard to get a perspective of how much you are moving, until you look out the window and then it's like being on a boat.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Glad to hear everyone is alright. For about the last two months I have had the USGS website saved on my desktop. I check out the US earthquake map daily... There has been a HUGE increase in activity over the last three weeks.

I have been telling the guys I work with that the big one is on its way, they all freaked out today.

I still say THE BIG ONE is going to happen before the end of the year. Im saying 8.0+.

T