When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Pre-Daytona reps?

symbebekos

First off, I'm a new member, so let me apologize in advance if I inadvertently breech board etiquette in any way. So - recently, after my first (non-Rolex) rep purchase, I came across this forum and have been trying to educate myself before I dive in and buy a Rolex rep. I was browsing the April Antiquorum auction and completely fell in love with the "Jean-Claude Killy" 6236:

1z3qk39.jpg

That dial! It seems superficially similar to the 6234; they're both pre-Daytona Oyster Chrongraphs. I've been looking for reps of either, but all I can seem to find are the pre-Daytonas that Joshua sells. So my questions are - does anyone have experience with those reps in terms of reliability and fidelity to the gen? Does anyone make a 6234 or 6236 dial, and would they be compatible with those reps? Would it be possible to use the rep as a base for a franken of some kind, perhaps replacing the bracelet, crystal, maybe even the mechanism with vintage gens, or is that insane or impossible? Any info would be much appreciated!

Welcome to RWG & the complicated world of Daytona & pre-Daytona reps.

Josh's are about the only pre-Daytonas I have seen (a few others sell the same reps). I have a couple myself

60340011.jpg

6238waterjar030b1.jpg

These reps do accept gen crystals (with a bit of nudging), crowns/tubes & bracelets. But that is about all you can do with them since the movements are standard Asian automatic 7750 copies with symmetrical pusher arrangements (the gens are manual-wind & the pushers are asymmetrically spaced relative to the crown (top pusher is closer to the stem, bottom pusher is slightly further away)

comparing_pusher_spacing.jpg

I have seen a 'Killy' rep somewhere, but I do not think it was from any of our collectors (& it was very inaccurate). There are a number of reviews & tutorials for modding Daytonas that you can find with the Search function at the top of every page.

Freddy,

That is incredibly helpful, thank you so much! I was not aware of the symmetry problem - have to think that one over. Your watches are beautiful, and now I think I have to get one :D

Get 'one'? Are you kidding? Nobody can have just 1 Daytona!!!!!!!!

hangingdaytonas005906o1.jpg

Add 'dw and daytona' to your searches for the state of the art in vintage Daytonas.

Jewelry and Watch- www.jewelryandwatch.com- has the 6236 (or is it the 6036?) and the price is very steep- but it has the V72C movt, correct case and aftermarket dial. Once again, it's manual wind like the original. Buying the parts and sourcing a V72C, you might be able to build one for $3000-4000. Less if you could adapt a DW case.

The 6234 and 6238 with the asian 7750 aren't a bad place to start. Josh and a few others have them. Although not correct as far as the pusher spacing, I've certainly enjoyed my 6238- I did spend a couple of hundred dollars to have Ziggy service it. So, for under $500, I have a nice dependable vintage chronograph- and I doubt anyone will ever call you out on it- people just don't know anything about these watches!

Josh's are about the only pre-Daytonas I have seen (a few others sell the same reps). I have a couple myself

6238waterjar030b1.jpg

Hey Freddy, this is one rollie model I have never considered. It looks good. Can you elaborate on the build quality of the version from Josh? I feel I need one of these to add to my vintage collection!

BTW thanks to new member symbebekos for pointing out a really great looking vintage rep to an old hand. ;)

Hey Freddy, this is one rollie model I have never considered. It looks good. Can you elaborate on the build quality of the version from Josh? I feel I need one of these to add to my vintage collection!

I got mine a few years ago from another seller, but Josh's looks like the same rep I have.

The build quality is very good, but mine is powered by 1 of the original A7750s, which some have had problems with (not me). If it only had asymmetrical pushers, I would be in heaven. Same with my other pre-Daytonas. While I love these watches, I do not love them enough to invest the time & money to make V72 frankens (at least not yet).