When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guys I need your help with my 16520 Franken!

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

Guys,

this is really killing me.

As some of you know I am trying to build a 16520-franken.

I managed to get all parts pretty quickly but then I was told that gen rolex hands do not fit elprimero.

Ok so they need to be modified.

I thought that in order to minimize risk of damaging the hands down to 50% I will try to source genuine canon pinion and hour wheel.

And so I did.

So right now I have everything that is needed to finish it but still have 3 subdial hands that do not fit.

k2222's watchsmith that was to help me decided he does not want to do it.

OK so I have a problem.

Slay guided me towards tourby who is also located in EU - I thought he could help me.

But now that we've exchanged some emails he told me that it is impossible to modify a hand to work with smaller diameter pin.

SO my question is - how on earth can we have so many ( like 7-8 ) Frankentonas if it is impossible?

Is there a person with experience in doing this who could share the knowledge needed to do it?

I would really not like this stuff to stay in my drawer when I could easily have bought a gen submariner and a gen speedmaster for the money invested instead........

Please let me know if you can help me out.

Thanks

Maciek

Maciek,

The tubes need to be squeezed down. Somewhat of a difficult job to do with precision; but absolutely possible. You need the right tools to do this for the chrono hands since they are very small; or, maybe a pin vise might work (not sure as I've not tried one).

I may have a set of chrono hands already reduced to the right size; I need to look in my spares. If I do, I'll let you know. That would make installing easy...

Guest Sql_pl

Ubi that would make it all extremely easier!

I didn't think about that earlier but maybe I can just ship my hands to you - if you know how to do it maybe it would not be a big problem for you to modify them so I can fit them with ease back here?

Please let me know what you think.

Once again thanks a lot for your answer.

Ubi is correct. There are any number of ways to reduce the size of the hand tubes. You can do it using a pin vise or a staking tool or a pair of smooth-jawed pliers. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. However, this is a VERY delicate procedure & you run the risk of damaging the tube (possibly permanently), which may be why your watchmaker dropped out of the project. I had to do this to fit some gen 116520 hands to my 116520 rep. But if you are extremely careful & VERY lucky, it can be done. Due to the potential risks involved, I would never criticize anyone for refusing to take on the job.

There is a tool made specifically for hands. It may not work for your sub dial hands, as it only goes down to 0.4mm.

ofrei-715.jpg

Bergeon Tube-Tightener Set in Wood Box

This terrific, first-quality tool provides a way to conveniently tighten hand tubes, crown tubes, and case tubes the proper way: by compressing the tube all the way around (rather than simply nicking it in one spot). While a complete staking set will provide this function, this tool is considerably more convenient for a small job here and there. This is an expensive tool, but will provide a lot of utility for the serious watchmaker. The extraordinarily well-made set accomodates tubes between 0.40 and 2.60 millimeters.

FB-715

$430.00

the cutting of the sub-hand tube is no problem. If the hands hole is to small... this is also no problem as we could make the holes bigger. BUT if the holes are to large... this is very problematic... we could demage the hands if we would try to make it smaller.. or the hands could fall down anytime when you shake the watch.

Guest Sql_pl

Yup, sound great.

The problem is Rob will be able to help me in November.

I also PMd Randy... if he won't be able to help me sooner I guess there is no other option for me than to wait....