When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

considering buying a gen

rkdk

Im seriously considering buying a gen easy diver. The non chronos go for 6300 dollars, and since the dollars is so low, this is cheaper than a new submariner in Denmark. Easy divers are around 15.000 from new.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these? I find the design very interresting, and the fact that they build their own movements, makes it an even better deal.

Its sporty manufacture :D :D

Edited by rkdk

I like this watch as well and was thinking about it. Be forewarned that once you buy it you own it for life or are at risk for a loss when you go to sell. They listed at $12-13k. Now they are offered at $7-8k and no one is buying them at that price. It is just one of those original movement brands that gets no respect in the secondary market - ala GP, Jaeger and Chopard. There are a number of watches that I really like but I don't dare buy them as I tend to sell gens when I am bored of them.

I like this watch as well and was thinking about it. Be forewarned that once you buy it you own it for life or are at risk for a loss when you go to sell. They listed at $12-13k. Now they are offered at $7-8k and no one is buying them at that price. It is just one of those original movement brands that gets no respect in the secondary market - ala GP, Jaeger and Chopard. There are a number of watches that I really like but I don't dare buy them as I tend to sell gens when I am bored of them.

Kruzer makes a very good point ... be careful. Even the Rolex brand does not guarantee a profit when re-selling after buying new. Only certain models of the brand hold their value well. On the other hand if you love the watch and have to have and do not care if you lose money go ahead because life is short and you may as well enjoy yourself. Cheers

I recommend Blancpain Fifty Fathom...

Oh yea ... this is design at its best. A true beauty. I am waiting for the rep to come out. I almost purchased the MK2 homage but the wait time is too long between parting with your cash to receiving the watch. Then again I would have had it by now had I purchased it in January.

I recommend Blancpain Fifty Fathom...

The fiffty Fathom is a boring watch imo. Then i might aswell buy a submariner and be done with it. Im more in to these crazy watches, and thats why the easy diver appeals to me. It just seemed like super value for a watch that was so expensive.

He should therefore buy it in the second-hand market...

My closest friend has two RD's and he has been very happy with them. Fantastic movements which get great respect in high end circles. He and I agree though that one complaint is the over use of rhodium in the metal prep which give both its gold and steel that sort of hard, "watery" look which can sometimes make watches look cheap. The RD shine is very blingly but IMO the watch would be much richer looking if they toned it down a bit and gave the metals a softer patina.

Oh, and forget the resale value. This is a hobby of passion. Buy with your heart and do not ever consider resale. It isn't a house or a car. It is a luxury item and as such since it is not an antique you should always expect to lose money selling it, unless you want to wait 50 years. To that end, you have to love it now as that is what sparks the purchase so go for it if you do and don't ever try to make a business out of it so to speak as doing that will rob you of all the fun...

Oh, and forget the resale value. This is a hobby of passion. Buy with your heart and do not ever consider resale. It isn't a house or a car. It is a luxury item and as such since it is not an antique you should always expect to lose money selling it, unless you want to wait 50 years. To that end, you have to love it now as that is what sparks the purchase so go for it if you do and don't ever try to make a business out of it so to speak as doing that will rob you of all the fun...

Beat me too my thought on the matter... buy what you like if you intend to wear it and actually use it... resale value be damned. If your looking for an investment, consult a financial adviser... investing in watches at the low to mid end (i.e... under 25k or so) seems like a harsh market to me... even the higher end market seems like the returns would be lower than many other "safe" investments.

Buy the gen you like for yourself... not what anyone else thinks or likes. I will say that the EasyDiver is an interesting watch... not exactly my cup of tea, but it is a neat watch. I always have to give several "OiRogers Brand Cool Points" (available now in bulk purchase, PM for details) to any watch with an actual inhouse movement that isn't a 50,000usd watch. So many 7750 and other ETA based watches out there... the inhouse movement makes that watch stand out to me.

If you do buy it, please post some photos... always wonderful to see someones new pride and joy! :D

Just to clarify a couple of points. $7-8k is the price of a second hand one. They listed for $13k last year in SS and WG (bezel) with the most basic movement. So new is likely to be $10-11k. And my point was not that he shouldn't buy it. You should just know that if you are ever going to sell it you will likely take a loss. Now why should a "passionate" collector care? Because most "passionate" watch collectors like to have several watches. And often your taste may change. And if it does or there is simply something you like better you will want the ability to sell one to buy another (unless you are wealthy enough that it just doesn't matter of course). In my case, I do like to own several gen watches at one time but I also always want to have the capability to sell one to buy another without taking a bath. And for that reason I never buy new. Nine times out of ten you are guaranteeing yourself a 30-40% discount the next day. And in the case of brands with no respect in the resale market I will still consider it but think long and hard before doing it - passionate or not. In fairness you should have none of these concerns if you know that you will be keeping this one for life. Just remember life is long - or so we hope. ;)

Just to clarify a couple of points. $7-8k is the price of a second hand one. They listed for $13k last year in SS and WG (bezel) with the most basic movement. So new is likely to be $10-11k. And my point was not that he shouldn't buy it. You should just know that if you are ever going to sell it you will likely take a loss. Now why should a "passionate" collector care? Because most "passionate" watch collectors like to have several watches. And often your taste may change. And if it does or there is simply something you like better you will want the ability to sell one to buy another (unless you are wealthy enough that it just doesn't matter of course). In my case, I do like to own several gen watches at one time but I also always want to have the capability to sell one to buy another without taking a bath. And for that reason I never buy new. Nine times out of ten you are guaranteeing yourself a 30-40% discount the next day. And in the case of brands with no respect in the resale market I will still consider it but think long and hard before doing it - passionate or not. In fairness you should have none of these concerns if you know that you will be keeping this one for life. Just remember life is long - or so we hope. ;)

The point exactly. Ive had quite a few gens already, and although i do agree to the buy out of passion concept, i just know myself to well. If i bought the easy diver, id be bored with it in two years time.

Thats one of the main problems with collecting reps. A watch becomes a watch. Gen or rep, they receive the same treatment, and mentally have the same "value". At the same time i crave for something new all the time.

I wish i could settle for one watch, and be done with it. Thats never going to happen though

Its a luxury problem. Millionaire watch habbit on a low budget :D :D

I was going for the silver faced one btw.