When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beijing 2008 Olympic games opening ceremony.

rodwc

Jusy been watching the past hour or so of the olympic games opening ceremony in Beijing.

Never before have I seen such a spectacular light show, orchestrated with the asistance of so many people.

A true spectacular if I may say so.

China has really shown the world in visual form just what it is capable of.

Be interested in your comments.

I agree, impressive. A nice mix between technology and use of human resources.

And as a Tai Chi long time practising, I've been especially impressed with that part.

Didn't see it... don't want to......!

I am so underwhelmed about these games... don't know if it is the "China" thing...Tibet...censorship,

or the drugs debacle.

Think moreso, probably the latter. I have trouble watching an athlete win a Gold medal, and not asking myself if they have had "assistance". Not aimed at any country or group, we have had some here in Oz as well.... I just think the whole deal is now irreversably tainted.

So aside from what I get fed on the radio, or inadvertently cop on the news, or happen to see on the 'net.... there won't be any Olympics in the Offshore household.

Just my opinion.....enjoy the games everyone!

Offshore

It was Awesome from start to finish, I "WOW'd" out loud quite a few times, the Drummers Countdown, the Globe runners and the footprint fireworks were just some of the highlights.

But if the world doesn't wake up to the issue of polution now , then it never will, the smog at the rowing is dreadful.

ST4

But if the world doesn't wake up to the issue of polution now , then it never will, the smog at the rowing is dreadful.

ST4

So I should watch the rowing.... for some good news?

Sorry, that was tongue in cheek.... however you have probably pointed out another reason why I am so underwhelmed.

Let's hope it finishes ASAP, so we can get some flow of watches to look at again!

Offshore

Just as a sidepoint, and one which has taken the whole thing away for me is,

does anyone know ( datewise ) just when the "amateur" status went out of the olympic games, to allow full time professionals to compete.

I mean to see a pro. world champion tennis player leading the Swiss team , just makes a mockery of sport to me.

The only thing that interests me in the Olympics is the football/soccer tournament.

Argentina and Brazil both have superb teams. Not only those countries have the best young players in the world, they also have superstars like Messi, Riquelme, Ronaldinho and Diego in the teams.

It'd be a big surprise if they didn't meet in the final.

@Offshore: Australia-Argentina today. :)

The only thing that interests me in the Olympics is the football/soccer tournament.

Argentina and Brazil both have superb teams. Not only those countries have the best young players in the world, they also have superstars like Messi, Riquelme, Ronaldinho and Diego in the teams.

It'd be a big surprise if they didn't meet in the final.

@Offshore: Australia-Argentina today. :)

With Argentina as the defending champions....it should be interesting.

Brazil beat Argentina in Copa America final. It was quite a surprise as Argentina had superior talent in their team. Now it's time for revenge.

Argentina knocked Brazil out from 4 major tournaments in the nineties, and had "psychological edge". Now it seems that roles have reversed.

When I was a kid, everyone was almost rooting for Brazil... it was kinda boring and unoriginal, so I became an Argentina fan.

This was one happy moment in my youth. Caniggia scoring from that absolutely AMAZING "cannonball run"... by guess who... and sends this superstar Brazilian team packing. Loved it. :)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Guest Mr Jones

I have same problems with reply from china on my emails, like they realy filter internet on time Olympic.

Did you have similar problem with communication with China by email ???