When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pulling trigger on a SMP Today

P4GTR

My girlfriend wants to order me a SMP today. This will be my 30th birthday present.

Couldn't care less about anything besides getting the best version available, and smooth transaction/service. I've been looking and looking... Kings got bezel issue, silix CG's look horrible, Chris doesnt have any..

In recent communication, Josh (amongst some other board members) state the current SMP he offers does infact have a gen ETA inside. His version also has pins in the bracelet, and the CG's look very good.

Does anyone have a better suggestion than going this route?

http://www.pc-80108.com/omse10002-seamaste...8242-p-892.html

Apart from hanging on for a used one from the closed factory, which is unlikely it's probably the best of the bunch, I think someone had written that there MAY be a new incarnation soon but whether it's true or not someone else would be better placed to tell you! Good luck anyway!

Josh said a new version is in the pipeline. But I presume it will probably have copy ETA by that time (my thoughts, not his).

Word around the campfire, the older (currently available) versions likely have gen ETA. Told Josh I had no problem with copy-ETA as long as I knew thats what I was getting up front. He said gen ETA in the SMP.

I don't want to hold out for what could be 8-9 months.. Not knowing what will come of it.

Josh said a new version is in the pipeline. But I presume it will probably have copy ETA by that time (my thoughts, not his).

Word around the campfire, the older (currently available) versions likely have gen ETA. Told Josh I had no problem with copy-ETA as long as I knew thats what I was getting up front. He said gen ETA in the SMP.

I don't want to hold out for what could be 8-9 months.. Not knowing what will come of it.

Here's a radical idea...why dont you put aside $100-$150/month for those 9 months and get a genuine????

Definitely buy the gen. Make a deal with the GF. Have her buy 1/2 and you the other. It is your 30th after all, why not get a genuine, it will just be that more special. That one in the link you posted looks like [censored]. It will die in a couple months and then what will you have to show for your birthday? I'm sure you could find a gen for decent price out there.

I'm not in the market for another gen. I have a gen vintage seamaster, and TAG Calibre 6. Respectfully, I posted in regards to which best SMP to go with, not to be persuaded into a gen. Trust me, I've contimplated the gen many times over. I appreciate your opinions, but gens are not in the cards right now.

If this is in fact gen ETA, which I believe it to be, I don't think longevity is an issue.

This is RWG right? ;)

Seems like the SMP rep is a wild card now. I've spent 1+ months narrowing down the best choice. I'll take the plunge and report back.

Thanks for the replies :)

The crown guards let it down again.

I don't understand why there are bargain SMP reps out there with much better CG, but the quality (expensive) "Bond" reps ALWAYS have it wrong.

I've got two sub-$100 SMP Bonds and they do a much better job trying to get the CG size/shape right. He hands may be too short, the lume is bad, the bezel font is wrong, and the bracelet is shabby.... but the CG almost works! Even some of the GMT reps have it sorted.

What can't the quality Bond's use this same case design???

That's a nasty looking rep.

I used to have the 'closed factory' Seamaster and even that sacred cow wasn't particularly good IMO. For a start they are all too thick- the gen is a slim and elegant watch unlike the reps. Next up the dial print isn't nearly good enough, bezel pearl, hands not quite right , wave pattern on dial not bold enough, crown guards not right, he valve placement not correct and general not as nice as the original feel.

Other than that there have been some great reps of this watch- :D

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a radical idea...why dont you put aside $100-$150/month for those 9 months and get a genuine????

thats precisely what im doing. the only reason i pulled the trigger on my SMP from paul last night is cause i want that sucker on my wrist NOW lol. im gonna set aside about $40 a week until i can buy my real steel SMP. oce i do i guess ill just have to pray i dont mix my real deal and my rep up! lol. or i could take the rep to a pawn shop.... nah lol, im not THAT cold :oP