When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chronoswiss >>

mossanti

Hi guys,

Would like to know if the GEN Chronoswiss is worth to buy the gen ? ..I know about the the re-configuring of the 7750...but the look is classic...

im looking at the flyback chrono ..what do u guys think ?? or any suggestion for any other model in the chronoswiss or any other brand that is below $4k..its ok if its 2n hand

cheers

Edited by mossanti

Hi guys,

Would like to know if the GEN Chronoswiss is worth to buy the gen ? ..I know about the the re-configuring of the 7750...but the look is classic...

im looking at the flyback chrono ..what do u guys think ?? or any suggestion for any other model in the chronoswiss or any other brand that is below $4k..its ok if its 2n hand

cheers

Oh yes...this is some of the pictures ...i know u guys love pic

89_2_big.jpg

PICT0140.jpg

PICT0145.jpg

Edited by mossanti

Take a trip to the next Basel World, have a little conversation with Gerd Lang (founder and owner of Chronoswiss) and then decide, if you ever want to wear one of his watches.

I'd refuse even if it was a present.

Hmmm budget won't allow that, but I am curious. What would he say? Is he arrogant?

IMO he invented arrogance back in the eighties when he founded Chronoswiss.

I was wearing a gen TT Rolex Datejust when I met him which is not adequate to get one of his catalogues according to him.

Actually it is worth the trip to meet him. It will give you a completely new definition of arrogance, which makes it a lot easier to deal with people you thought they were arrogant. After meeting Gerd Lang there are not half as much people deserving the title arrogant as before.

IMO he invented arrogance back in the eighties when he founded Chronoswiss.

I was wearing a gen TT Rolex Datejust when I met him which is not adequate to get one of his catalogues according to him.

Actually it is worth the trip to meet him. It will give you a completely new definition of arrogance, which makes it a lot easier to deal with people you thought they were arrogant. After meeting Gerd Lang there are not half as much people deserving the title arrogant as before.

damn that is one bloody arrogance...but i donnt even know how well is his business...as far as i know ..one sales guy told me yesterday saying that chronoswiss not good at all so better stick with rolex..more valuble

CS is ceratinly one of the worst right now in terms of resale value. The brand is getting hammered. I had a minute repeater that got stolen and Tourby just made me a sort homage to replace it - sans strike train...

Yes, Gerd Lang is arrogant but he has really made a great contribution to what we have today with the resurgence of mechanical watches. He helped paved the way for the comeback in the 80's. On a positive note it is one of those little brands where the production is small enough to where each watch is made with love and care. Kind of like Lange & Sohne in that respect. Gerd is truly a master watchmaker and to be honest I have met many master watchmakers from Gerd to Walter Lange to Francios Journe and there has not been one who hasn't been arrogant to a fault. To be truthful I think to operate on the mental level that these guys do is almost absurd and it is no wonder they are not merely arrogant but rather stark raving mad. My best advice is that if you truly want to appreciate a fine timepiece, skip meeting its maker. On that note, Chronoswiss is a great watch for the money. I'm planning on adding two to my collection eventaully. First the Regulatuer which is teh signature piece as he was the first to ever offer a serially produced regulatuer which is cool. Second, I love the Tora Chronograph with the black dial and white hands with a whisky strap. I also like whisky...wait...I digress...OK I'm back now. But seriously the Tora Chrono is based on the 7750 but has a cool complication added where the GMT hand is in the same subdial as the seconds at 9 and has a seperate pushpiece for a quickset incremental click of the GMT hand. The subdial is split with the numbers in black on white and white on black to show day or night. Pretty cool...

Torachrono.png

I'm confused. In your original thread you seemed to like the brand and now it sucks. Not that I care what a man buys or doesn't buy, but neither the price nor brand sucks in any way, that is for certain. Regarding resale, ALL watches are marginal with the minor exception of Rolex, but that too is changing now unless the model is inherently collectable.

Yes, our old friend supply and demand again from the drama threads. LOL. Gens too I'm afraid. The huge watch boom of the last 5 years has created a glut of watches on the secondary market - the bulk of which are due, but have never been serviced which makes matters worse. Quite simply the supply of used Swiss watches (including Rolex) far outstrips demand at this point. You will continue to see lower and lower resale values on all fine timepieces unless special in some way.

Always buy a watch because you like it and have some emotional connection to it. Forget trying to make a smart purchase in terms of resale value. Those days are over. There is no smart watch purchase. They are all overpriced and a stupid way to waste money. Man do I LOVE being stupid though...

the tora look nice..but not for me just yet..

the chronoscope look ok ..but with the price brand new with the price resale...its really sucks...

I'm confused. In your original thread you seemed to like the brand and now it sucks. Not that I care what a man buys or doesn't buy, but neither the price nor brand sucks in any way, that is for certain. Regarding resale, ALL watches are marginal with the minor exception of Rolex, but that too is changing now unless the model is inherently collectable.

Yes, our old friend supply and demand again from the drama threads. LOL. Gens too I'm afraid. The huge watch boom of the last 5 years has created a glut of watches on the secondary market - the bulk of which are due, but have never been serviced which makes matters worse. Quite simply the supply of used Swiss watches (including Rolex) far outstrips demand at this point. You will continue to see lower and lower resale values on all fine timepieces unless special in some way.

Always buy a watch because you like it and have some emotional connection to it. Forget trying to make a smart purchase in terms of resale value. Those days are over. There is no smart watch purchase. They are all overpriced and a stupid way to waste money. Man do I LOVE being stupid though...

Do not agree..

Buying a used steel rolex tool watch, 1 to 4 years old, 25 to 33% of original price, nad you will be fine.

simply due to the limited supply of rolex and their yearly price increases.

the price increases alone are pulling the resale value up.

I do not intend to loose on cent on selling one of my gens, and i do not see that happening.

Right, like I said unless a gen is inherently collectable. I was also refering to new watches obviously. Rolex base tool watches are collectable because everyone wants them because they are at the bottom of the range and they don't make enough to keep up with demand. I mean we all know that right? Ceratinly what the used numbers are which was clearly not the purpose of my post. Besides, this guy obviouly wants to move beyond the standard offerings and was not talking about Rolex. Example of what I was trying to illustrate: Roger Dubuis is a hot brand right now in high end circles but try not losing money on one of those - or AP even if you bought it new. I have a Millenary that I wanted to sell but will probably keep as I'm getting offers for fifteen grand on it mint. I paid WAY less than retail too. There are just too many of them new sitting in cases and being sold by AD's to discounters who in turn sell them at 20-25% off. Again, the used market is plagued by supply and demand issues related to the new market - which I guess you also coorborated - although you were relating used to used and speaking of the highest resale brand by far alone. I guess we are both giving the guy the right info which is what is important though.

Do not agree..

Buying a used steel rolex tool watch, 1 to 4 years old, 25 to 33% of original price, nad you will be fine.

simply due to the limited supply of rolex and their yearly price increases.

the price increases alone are pulling the resale value up.

I do not intend to loose on cent on selling one of my gens, and i do not see that happening.

I guess we are both giving the guy the right info which is what is important though.

:-)) Yep

do agree with you on the other brands, that is why i will never, read my lips ( :-) ), buy another brand then RLX.

Though the APROO on a hornback looks sweet, as does the 3717.

but I wont be an AD's best friend..

if it comes to cars and watches i do it like warren buffet, i buy used, timeless quality at a reasonable price with low maintenance costs (Audi diesel and RLX) :-))

when i lived in Munich in 2000, i met the owner and his daughter at a watchshow in a Chronoswiss boutique in the most high class shopping district in Munich.

very impressive watches !

sure, Lange is arrogant, in a way....but, consider that his clientel - and people he is dealing with are mostly top managers, politicans, bankers etc.

munich is very conseited to begin with. but....Gerd Lang can be proud of his achivements....a little watchmaker - that worked his ass off...to create watches

that are classy, extremly high quality, and timeless. not to mention affordable. and 100% handfinished in germany.

id buy a Chronoswiss Delphis, Regulateur or Kairos - rather then a Rolex.

just my personal opinion.

that are classy, extremly high quality, and timeless. not to mention affordable. and 100% handfinished in germany.

id buy a Chronoswiss Delphis, Regulateur or Kairos - rather then a Rolex.

just my personal opinion.

Same here... There is a pretty long report on TZ with lots of pictures regarding Chronoswiss and the company seems to be pretty open in terms of suppliers and manufacturing. I like the classic look of the watches; I just cannot stand the brand-name though - Chronogerman would be more appropriate, but it does not really sound better either. BTW there is a brand called Chronosport which is from Helmut Sinn.