When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best way to clean Rolex dial and sapphire glass on the inside?

MimiSars

I opened it like a month ago and forgot to wipe off finger prints (I know, should have worn gloves). Can anyone recommend any tips/techniques to cleaning the dial as well as the glass on the inside? Oddly enough, I see small pieces of hair in the glass that I didn't see when I closed it. I know I closed it tight too (duct tape method). Is there a cheaper method, free, instead of Rodico? Thanks.

I used a cotton t-shirt rag, dust blower and small little brush last time. I do have a microfiber cloth, also. I never touch the dial except from the sides. You don't want to use chemicals on the dial, but I guess you could use a dab of Windex on a rag if the fingerprints were bad on the sapphire crystal, but not on plastic. Windex is bad for plastic. I don't wear gloves, but try to keep my hands clean. The key is to put the movement back in there and flip the watch over and double check before you button it all up.

Not wearing gloves is not the problem, the problem was touching the dial. You should never touch the dial - ever - it is the most fragile part of the watch and there is never any reason to touch it. Same for the inside of the crystal. But at least the crystal can be cleaned with a lint free cloth, not so for the dial.

Finger prints anywhere on the watch contain acid and will etch and permanently damage the part. It's been said many times, in watchsmithing there are no shortcuts, you need the proper tools, knowledge, and trying to do otherwise always causes more damage than what you started with.

You already know the answer to part of your question (Rodico), but your not willing to spend $8... :) Duct tape is for ducts, not watches, closing a caseback with it will not seal the case tightly enough and will lead to more problems.

RG

I agree with The Zigmeister

first gloves , Rodico might get it all off but if the chemical process of distroying the surface of the dail already started then you will always remember to wear gloves

Carpe Diem

Cats

You should be able to pick up a two stick pack of rodico from any of the suppliers, Ofrei, Jules Borel, Cousins etc, it would be worth your while to also pick up a dust blower (if you don't have one), normally the only thing you need to do before casing up the watch is to blow any dust off the dial and inside of the case. Watchpaper is mandatory as well for handling the movement, a misplaced finger can cause damage or remove oil from a jewel hole...

The rodico will take fingerprints off of dials, but you have to be careful when you use it as it can also leave some slight residue. Best to blow the dust off first, and carefully dap at any remaining stuff with the rodico.

RG

I agree with Ziggy, but you have to be sure your Rodico is new/clean, otherwise it can leave a film behind (the material picks up dust & oils during use & can redeposit them onto the dial surface). You can also use a dial brush and/or hand blower (both available from ofrei.com or other supply houses) to clean the dial.

I use Windex (or non-ammonia spray glass cleaner for AR-treated crystals) on the inside of the lens, wiping it clean with a lint-free cloth or paper towel. Follow this by blowing any residual dust/debris out of the inside of the case or inside surface of the lens with a can of compressed air.

Before recasing, I always do a final check by placing the case (lens side up) onto a dark colored surface (I keep a dark green Rolex 'wallet' on my work table for this purpose) & inspecting for any remaining dust/debris that may be adhered to the lens due to static electricity (this is the stuff that most watchmakers do not usually see, but which a critical owner almost always obsesses over when he gets his watch back)

finalcheck0081.jpg

Anything found is either blown out with compressed air or removed with a clean piece of Rodico (air is always best since it leaves NO residue).

For crystal, I used Lenspen (http://www.lenspen.com/) and air blower I purchased at a camera store. The lenspen has 2 function on each end: a cleaner (sort of a little round mop) and a soft brush. But you need to work carefully though as they do leave residue.

Additional note is that I wipe the crystal with a clean microfiber cloth before using the lenspen. And make sure you work on well lit and closed area. Always recheck the crystal against a light source before reassembling it, mostly deposits gather on crystal edge.

I wouldn't use this on the dial, except a light blower action to blow off dust. Better stick to freddy's and The Zigmeister's advice imho as watch dial is very delicate and you might risk scratching it.

Hope it helps.