When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is this a gen daytona dial?

llsteve80

The biggest giveaway is the red :) Not a production color, and in fact, the red dials are a debated subject in their own right.

However, there are a number of other 'tells'; the print quality, the fonts used, the coronet; if we had better photos, I bet I could identify a few others with the subdial finishing, overall stepping of the dial planes, etc.

I'd be curious to know how much the seller is asking, as that would also be a good indicator of how much he knows about vintage Daytona dials in general :)

Also the font spacing on COSMOGRAPH should be nonproportional, "L" is wrong in ROLEX and the "ON" are spaced wrong on DAYTONA.

And the subdial "3" are......... wrong.

Easy. No.

Someone (it may have been me) posted a 'How to spot' comparison of a gen vs aftermarket Newman dial a couple of years ago, but I cannot locate it now.

There are a number of inaccuracies on this dial, but suffice it to say that there are 2 glaringly obvious mistakes on almost every aftermarket Newman that you can spot easily, once you are aware of them & know what to look for.

1st, the stroke used to create the 'O' in ROLEX must have a variable thickness. The stroke should be narrower at the top/bottom & wider at the sides. The 'O' should appear like this - O, not like this - O. Also, many aftermarket Daytona dials have a flat, square-edged crown (the gen crown is noticeably rounded)

ODaytona.jpg

2nd, the gen '3' in the minute totalizer always has a longer 'tail' than all the other 3s on the dial. No aftermarket Newman dial (including DWs) ever gets this right

newman3s.jpg

I have yet to find a single aftermarket Newman that gets all of these details right.

The easiest tell is 1) the gen red dial is "Ferrari red". 2) it is "Rolex Cosmograph" without "Oyster" under the coronet 3) Subdial is black in color, with contrasting white font. The "DAYTONA" is not as bold. All the font are all wrong.

The gen was sold at US$ 448,717 in Hong Kong to a Japanese designer. Also, it was a 6240.

The gen 6240 was the rarest 62XX daytona model in the histroy next to the UAE dial 6263.