When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Skyland thread: Water resistance

importr

I think water resistance is not standard across the rep production, even from the same factory. You can find (as I did) both water resistant and ready to swim and completely permeable watches! In my little experience I found that the most famous diver's reps (Sea Dweller, Planet Ocean, ...) probably due to "gadgets" like He-valves ... are less resistant compared to more simple pieces. The best suggestion: seal He valve appropriately, tighten properly the caseback and crown and ... check your rep resitance before washing hands.

It's got non-screwdown chrono pushers. That should be your first clue.

Water resistance is NOT the same as waterproof.

It'll survive a rainstorm but taking it for a swim is insanity.

Granted, but a pusher doesnt have to be screwed to be water resistant....

...i didnt mention water proof...

just take it to a watchmaker near u ... do a 3 atm test first and then a 5-6 atm test if it survives the second one i see no problem ... since it has a no screw in pushers be sure not to operate them whe exposed to water! Also the usual applies greased gaskets proper tightened back and screwed in crown...

laz

Edited by lazarini

That would be the logical thing to do! :D

I was just curious if anyone here had actually done just that. Obviously not all watches are the same...but it would give me some confidence before taking the rep for a test. (at a watch repairer)

It would be embarrasing if this "$5k Breitling" failed though! lol

A well known seller of the v2 states a 50m resist on the sales blurb...

Edited by Importr

Granted, but a pusher doesnt have to be screwed to be water resistant....

...i didnt mention water proof...

With screwdown pushers, you at least have slightly improved odds of resistance given there will be less 'passive' water entry into the case apertures. But yes then it's ultimately down to the gaskets and whether they are up to scratch - you're always going to get problems I think. Especially since you have no protection if, underwater, one of the pushers is accidentally engaged.

You mentioned swim - which says to me you'll need more than a dealer 'promise' of WR - washing hands, even a shower would be out of the question before even sealing her up like a clam. An He valve can be locked down tight, but chrono pushers are an accident waiting to happen IMO. Good luck though.

Guest farquar

I 'accidentally' jumped into the sea with my IWC CD 2006, just forgot to take it off (I dont do this ever with any of my watches)...Seeing that nothing happened, kept swimming with it for the remainder of my holiday:). I had some trouble with the crown, had my watchsmith take a look at it..No ill effects from the water whatsoever, nicely sealed...Hit or miss I guess with these reps.

Call me crazy, I went swimming with my Skyland in the pool right after I got it. No problems. I think it was Dave or Allergy Doc that took his to a water park for the day and reported no problems also.

Living in Florida near the beach, I have taken 2 subs, SSD, CD, and Skyland either in the pool or to the beach. If they (dive watches) can't take it, I don't want them. I do lube the seals first.

It does say "water resistant" on Josh"s web site. I figured if it died the first week, I'd call him on it and send it back.

Agreed.

As someone mentioned somewhere, if you're sunbathing by the pool wearing your "dive" watch - it seems odd to remove it before jumping in?!

Its not like I want to beat Phelps' personal best by timing myself..! I just like the Skyland.

I don't normally ask about reps and water resistance, but since the Skyland (with bracelet) can be "sporty" aswell as "dressy", I'd like to take

it on holiday somewhere. Morocco for example.... Otherwise it'd be 2 gen watches for the 2 "functions"

But its great to know that some peeps have tested it, which is all i wanted to know!

Thanks!! :clap2:

Edited by Importr

Just came back from my holiday to Mallorca and I used the sh*t out of my Skyland. Went swimming, surfing, scuba diving and even on the jet ski. Of course I greased all the seals and checked for leaks on for hand. Great watch and very well constructed (see my signature for details). With some extra checks there is no reason why not to treat it as a genuine.....

1000296wo9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Guys why do you keep mentioning He-valve, it does not have one. The only thing that matters is construction of the pushers if it is the same as gen with the appropriate seals present -> it should be pretty water resistant then.

Now the question is - who wants to take V2 apart and look at the pushers construction? lol.

Guys why do you keep mentioning He-valve, it does not have one. The only thing that matters is construction of the pushers if it is the same as gen with the appropriate seals present -> it should be pretty water resistant then.

Now the question is - who wants to take V2 apart and look at the pushers construction? lol.

Why don't you read the other posts in the thread? ...

Great watch and very well constructed (see my signature for details)

I've been swimming with most of my reps and not even one failed.

CD2006, pam 111, AP ROO at 12, HBBs, numerous rollies, my GF took het Seatimer to the pool and sea too without any problems.

They are really well made now.