When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

where is me ceramic?

woody

so guys, I took the plunge and finally ordered a GMT IIc couple of weeks back. was starting to look forward to wear it this weekend. tracked the package online and knew it would be in my local office today. Drove down there today so I would not miss the delivery just in case. And what do you know, I caught them before they were heading out to make my delivery.

after I got home, which was about an hour and a half ago. ripping the package through, just being excited, and then poof, I see a watch that is not my ceramic. but rather, the GMT 50th anniversary with black steel bezel and green date font. why, why do the "shippers" always make this mistake? now I'll have to wait another week, to get my watch shipped to me. I am certain that my collector will do me right, but why do they always make this mistake? now only do I have to wait longer, plus the collector is going to lose some money too. It's just a lose lose situation, that I don't know why keep happening in our rep scene. And this is certainly not the first time with me that this has happened. wanted to share my opinion, and just vent a little. now I think I can feel slightly better. thanks for everyone who took the time to listen to me rant. I thank you! ;) now, let's all have a good weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Freddy,

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps people must be wondering why I am visiting an old thread. well, I got my replacement today. So happy, and headed to the post office early so that I won't miss the delivery. got it home, happily opened it up, and what do I find? another wrong GMT! still a stainless model, this time with the red gmt hand, versus the other one which is green gmt hand stainless model with green font. I am SO, SO frustrated. How hard can it be to get a right watch to be shipped to me? hate to sound like a whiney little girl here, but I am just so fed up. time to email the seller again today.........so disappointed!

hate to sound like a whiney little girl here, but I am just so fed up. time to email the seller again today.........so disappointed!

You're not a whiney little girl, this kind of sloppiness/idiocy is unforgivable. Who's the dealer?

haha, I have a large GMT selection right now, getting ready to prep it to ship back. it's just so disappointed, because either time, I drove to the post office, so I won't miss delivery, and you guys can relate. your eyes widen as you open the package, and then it just sets in, like someone literally take the air out of you. yeah, I know I am being dramatic here, but that's how I felt. Speaking of which, I just notice that my membership expired recently, and I strongly encourage other members to support the forums by becoming a paying member, if they can afford it. I will do it later tonight.

but going back, yes, me sad. I do not want every GMT in every decades. sooner or later, I will start getting vintage GMTs too in the EMS mail! :(

do you want me to disclose it here, BT?

It's up to you of course. That's what the dealer feedback sections are for, ultimately: Giving other members honest feedback about the dealers.

What happened to the first wrong watch? Did you ship it back at your own expense... and how did the dealer respond now, when you received your SECOND wrong watch?

Sending someone a wrong watch once is understandable, but TWO TIMES is just nuts. If the dealer is reasonable, he should ship the third watch immediately to you... and on top of that he should let you keep the wrong one you received.

2x? Absolutely inexcusible.

I truly feel your frustration and disappointment Woody, dropshipping at its worst.

I hope you get some type of compensation from the dealer for this BS.

haha BT, that is a good suggestion. Well, I will wait for the dealer's response. I have both watches right now, completely unworn, in the bubble wraps. I wanted to make sure that I get the correct ceramic gmt, before I ship back the watch, and now watches. I also wanted to talk to the dealer to make sure that they would reimburse me of the costs that will incur during registered postage. This was all going to be brought up, postage wise, AFTER I receive the ceramic. but now it looks like it will be another 2 weeks.......

after I reupgrade the membership tonight, I will PM you with the dealer's name, to give you a heads up. wish I can send a PM now, but since my account was downgraded, my inbox is full, so my PM to you did not go through, I don't think. But I'll let you know tonight, after I address the membership issue. Thanks!

2x? Absolutely inexcusible.

I truly feel your frustration and disappointment Woody, dropshipping at its worst.

I hope you get some type of compensation from the dealer for this BS.

hey Rek,

I know. you have no idea how disappointed I am. Truth be told, I was never a big fan of any GMT watches until the ceramic. I really like the look and all of that, and this experience has been kind of a nightmarish one. it is dropshipping at its worst. you would think, the dealer would say "get me a gmt, ceramic" I don't know if the word ceramic in Chinese, is it a difficult word to comprehend for the shipper? first time, it kind of [censored] me off already, just the fact to think that I have to now prepare to ship this watch back via registered mail, fill out custom forms., etc. it's already time and money consuming, and now I have to do it at 2x? it's not a happy thought. I'm sure if I was some noob, I would have already blown up like crazy and calling for a witch hunt of the dealer, but even as an older member of the forum, it is still a very frustrating experience. I am really beginning to think that I may never see the watch that I paid for a while back......

@Woody: We admins & moderators aren't "trade police". You don't have to pm me anything. Believe me, we don't have resources and time to deal with all members' trade problems with the dealers/other members. And there's nothing we can do anyway... we can only unapprove/approve dealers based on their feedback and reputation. That means we only look at the "big picture", not single bad trades. I was just curious as a fellow member, not as a staff member.

If the dealer sorts it out, no need to cause any controversy. If not, the dealer feedback sections are for that.

Anyway... good luck man! :)

@Woody: We admins & moderators aren't "trade police". You don't have to pm me anything. Believe me, we don't have resources and time to deal with all members' trade problems with the dealers/other members. And there's nothing we can do anyway... we can only unapprove/approve dealers based on their feedback and reputation. That means we only look at the "big picture", not single bad trades. I was just curious as a fellow member, not as a staff member.

If the dealer sorts it out, no need to cause any controversy. If not, the dealer feedback sections are for that.

Anyway... good luck man! :)

all good. I was not looking for admins to step in. just kind of wanted to vent a little. I hope the dealer straighten it out too. I'm sure they will, but I was just thinking, "why did it have to happen in the first place?" just tell the shipper to pick Rolex->GMT->Ceramic bezel, and that could've been a done deal. but alas, it is not to be. I'll keep the post updated on this special journey of my GMT IIc. stay tuned!

You can still pm me as a fellow member of course. :)

Yeah I agree... this kind of stuff is really frustrating. That's a good thing about Precious Time and Eurotimez... stuff like this has never happened to me.

The ceramic GMT is really worth the wait though, great rep indeed.

I hate to put a damper on your already damp parade, but remember that these GMTIICs are not the most reliable beasts in the jungle. So I would try not to put too much emotion into this adventure, because the correct watch, if/when you actually receive the right 1, has about a 50% chance of dying an early death. :shock:

I hate to put a damper on your already damp parade, but remember that these GMTIICs are not the most reliable beasts in the jungle. So I would try not to put too much emotion into this adventure, because the correct watch, if/when you actually receive the right 1, has about a 50% chance of dying an early death. :shock:

like you said Freddy, it's already dampened, unfortunately. I bought the Asian copy version, so my hope is not ultra high on this. I thought the chance of it being long lasting is about maybe higher than 50%, but you are saying it's 1 out of 2? hmmmm. does it matter if it's CHS or IHS? or do they all just suffer the same problem? sorry for THAT noob question there.

like you said Freddy, it's already dampened, unfortunately. I bought the Asian copy version, so my hope is not ultra high on this. I thought the chance of it being long lasting is about maybe higher than 50%, but you are saying it's 1 out of 2? hmmmm. does it matter if it's CHS or IHS? or do they all just suffer the same problem? sorry for THAT noob question there.

As far as I know, the chs version is no longer available, but between the poll & anecdotal evidence, I would say the chance of failure for either version is about 50%. You can increase the odds by not using the GMT function, but, beyond that, I think it comes down to luck of the draw - the watch you receive is either a ticking time-bomb or not. But none of these watches are more than a few months old at this point, so who knows how long the best of the bunch will ultimately last. My chs is still keeping COSC time (it is running about 20 seconds fast since I set it upon arrival in early July).

I want to add to Freddy's comments by saying that some of the movement problems that have been reported might have been remedied by a servicing. I had serious movement problems until I had it serviced. Then I bought a second GMT IIc and had it serviced within the first week, during which the GMT hand didn't work. Since the servicings, both watches are functioning at 100% and are more accurate than all 3 of my genuine automatics, regardless of whether I wear it or it sits in a winder or on a table overnight. And, I wouldn't have had either serviced if, after dissassembly, the watchmaker opined that the movement was a time bomb. BTW, both are Asian.

I'm definitely not saying that servicing is the panacea for this watch because it does have an iffy movement. But I have to wonder how many of the reported problems would have been either avoided or fixed by a proper service.

People seem to forget that there are 3 different versions of this watch... or 3 different movements.

I wonder how many problems there have been for people who have bought the watch with genuine ETA 2836-2 WRONG HAND STACK movement.

The Asian WHS seems to be a bad movement, not to mention the CHS ETA... but the plain' good old WHS ETA. Never had a SINGLE problem with this movement, despite owning many GMT watches with it... during the years.

People seem to forget that there are 3 different versions of this watch... or 3 different movements.

I wonder how many problems there have been for people who have bought the watch with genuine ETA 2836-2 WRONG HAND STACK movement.

The Asian WHS seems to be a bad movement, not to mention the CHS ETA... but the plain' good old WHS ETA. Never had a SINGLE problem with this movement, despite owning many GMT watches with it... during the years.

so basically BT, I have 2 ticking time bombs that delivered to me (un)intentionally, and I have a 3rd en route to me, assuming that it is still a GMT watch that is. This is fantastic! haha. Freddy, so do you basically just keep your watch running at all times, that way you don't have to adjust it, is that your approach?

Woody, the 24h hand is ALWAYS automatically in sync with the hour hand on the real working GMT watches. You don't have to adjust... or CAN'T adjust the 24h hand on genuine Rolex (or the CHS) independently. This is purely a "Chinese invention" on the WHS. You can, however, set the GMT hand from the hack position, which moves hour, minute and GMT hands. So it's not necessary to adjust the hour and GMT hand at all... and still use the GMT function from the 24h bezel.

On the 1675 and 16750 nothing was independently adjustable. On those watches you always use the GMT function by rotating the 24h bezel. This is the best option for the fragile CHS.

I'm often amazed how few people actually know how the GMT watches operate... even some gen owners. :D

PS: I love the WHS bastardization. It's a fully working, cheap and reliable invention, as long as you know how to set it up correctly. Check this small tutorial I wrote.