When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

where is me ceramic?

woody

I'm definitely not saying that servicing is the panacea for this watch because it does have an iffy movement. But I have to wonder how many of the reported problems would have been either avoided or fixed by a proper service.

Glad to hear you were able to service yours back to working health. But when Ziggy says he refuses to work on a movement, I worry. :huh:

Thanks BT, I will refer back to it, if I ever get my ceramic. to be honest, I did not get it much for the GMT function, but rather, I thought the GMT IIe looked better than most Rolexes in general, that's why I got it. I hope maybe I can see it in person some time soon! =)

It's up to you of course. That's what the dealer feedback sections are for, ultimately: Giving other members honest feedback about the dealers.

What happened to the first wrong watch? Did you ship it back at your own expense... and how did the dealer respond now, when you received your SECOND wrong watch?

Sending someone a wrong watch once is understandable, but TWO TIMES is just nuts. If the dealer is reasonable, he should ship the third watch immediately to you... and on top of that he should let you keep the wrong one you received.

haha BT, that is a good suggestion. Well, I will wait for the dealer's response. I have both watches right now, completely unworn, in the bubble wraps. I wanted to make sure that I get the correct ceramic gmt, before I ship back the watch, and now watches. I also wanted to talk to the dealer to make sure that they would reimburse me of the costs that will incur during registered postage. This was all going to be brought up, postage wise, AFTER I receive the ceramic. but now it looks like it will be another 2 weeks.......

after I reupgrade the membership tonight, I will PM you with the dealer's name, to give you a heads up. wish I can send a PM now, but since my account was downgraded, my inbox is full, so my PM to you did not go through, I don't think. But I'll let you know tonight, after I address the membership issue. Thanks!

Woody! I agree with BT....they should compensate you for the return shipping costs and mental anguish....so keep the second watch for that.......and Yes, don't send those back until you get the right one.....and if....God Forbid, you get the third one wrong.....again!....keep the three and tell your dealer to forget it! THAT IS TOTALLY Unacceptable and ridiculous! Tell them to SUE you! Hehehe!

But if you get the right one (Same one as mine!), try and put it on time setting, then turn it equivalent to 3 days or more, set the date and time...and then set the GMT! That should work, it did for me! I have mine now for a month!

Good Luck!

Woody! I agree with BT....they should compensate you for the return shipping costs and mental anguish....so keep the second watch for that.......and Yes, don't send those back until you get the right one.....and if....God Forbid, you get the third one wrong.....again!....keep the three and tell your dealer to forget it! THAT IS TOTALLY Unacceptable and ridiculous! Tell them to SUE you! Hehehe!

But if you get the right one (Same one as mine!), try and put it on time setting, then turn it equivalent to 3 days or more, set the date and time...and then set the GMT! That should work, it did for me! I have mine now for a month!

Good Luck!

Hike,

Is there any particular reason why one should turn it forward for 3 days? I am sure there are legitimate reasons, is it to break the gear somewhat in? I would definitely use that logic to adjust the timezone. I never touch the other two; looked at it, and they are both back in the bubble wraps. Will take some pics this evening so I can send the pics to the dealer. When it went wrong the first time, I had attached the pics and send it to the dealer. They apologized and promised to do it right. Then this happened again. I will take the picture with the watches side by side and just show how frustrated this experience has been. Thanks for all the encouragements guys. It's as if I am looking to receive a holy grail watch. The sweat, and the anticipation! ;):rolleyes:

Hike,

Is there any particular reason why one should turn it forward for 3 days? I am sure there are legitimate reasons, is it to break the gear somewhat in? I would definitely use that logic to adjust the timezone. I never touch the other two; looked at it, and they are both back in the bubble wraps. Will take some pics this evening so I can send the pics to the dealer. When it went wrong the first time, I had attached the pics and send it to the dealer. They apologized and promised to do it right. Then this happened again. I will take the picture with the watches side by side and just show how frustrated this experience has been. Thanks for all the encouragements guys. It's as if I am looking to receive a holy grail watch. The sweat, and the anticipation! ;):rolleyes:

I believe it is to break-in the gears and mesh properly......what ever it does, it works! Hope it does for you.......whenever you get your GMT IIc!

Glad to hear you were able to service yours back to working health. But when The Zigmeister says he refuses to work on a movement, I worry. :huh:

After reading The Zigmeister's post, I worried too, which is why I told the watchsmith to determine the robustness of the movement and component parts, keeping in mind this is an Asian eta clone. The Asian clone movements in my watches do not appear to have be the same inferior parts he had so many problems with, and the overall construction of the movement was better. Also, both movements were easy to regulate, which I recall was an issue with the movement The Zigmeister worked on. I have no explanation for the difference.

• 1 month later...

well, boys and girls, after close to 3 long months of waiting. my Ceramic GMT arrived as of Saturday. The collector said he picked out a good one for me, and then the watch was shipped. Well, after I received the watch and put it on my wrist, I noticed that the crystal did not seat correctly, at least not evenly. the left side of the crystal sits more correctly, where as near 6 o'clock, the crystal sits right on the same level as the bezel. I noticed the 9 o'clock marker is slightly misaligned. I also went back to the pciture that the seller sent before shipping, and confirmed that it is the same watch with slight misaligned marker.

Among other problems that I had noticed, is that the date window alignment is off, 2, 3, 4, are all sitting way below in the date window. In all honesty, I think the seller really tried. It is inexcusable that I would receive a wrong watch 2 times in a row. When I finally know that the correct watch is coming, I was excited for a bit. Wore the watch for just one day, and now finding out all these problems as I spent more time. I will email the collector to tell him that I will keep all 3. In fact, I will sell the ceramic shortly, as soon as I can get some pictures of them. and just try to move them. I think I will lay off the GMTs for a bit. Dealing with getting the right GMT, had taken a lot out of me. so it's time to move on. expect a sale of all 3 GMTs in the sales corner towards the middle or latter part of the week, and I am sorry to say that it just did not work out for me

Sorry to hear this horror story Woody.

Murhy's Law has yet again prevailed.

I may be interested in your ceramic GMT with issues as I am embarking shortly on a franken project for this watch and may need a another case/bezel as there is a good chance I will ruin the original and the gen won't fit.

Cheers,

M

Hi reynolds and teejay,

yes, it is really disappointing to have a watch that just did not have some decent quality control. I understand that these are reps, so I kind of just shrug it off. But before I told the collector to ship it off, I even said, please check and see if the date will align in the window. it just sucked that I waited 3 months for a correct watch to be shipped to me, and in the end it was all for nothing. Well, not nothing entirely. I will sell all 3 GMTs to recoup some costs. I am sure all 3 will sell, as I will move at the price below even the best price by the collectors, and 2 of them were never worn! and even this somewhat faulty ceramic had only less than 1 full day on the wrist.

anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try to get as an replacement?

Hi reynolds and teejay,

yes, it is really disappointing to have a watch that just did not have some decent quality control. I understand that these are reps, so I kind of just shrug it off. But before I told the collector to ship it off, I even said, please check and see if the date will align in the window. it just sucked that I waited 3 months for a correct watch to be shipped to me, and in the end it was all for nothing. Well, not nothing entirely. I will sell all 3 GMTs to recoup some costs. I am sure all 3 will sell, as I will move at the price below even the best price by the collectors, and 2 of them were never worn! and even this somewhat faulty ceramic had only less than 1 full day on the wrist.

anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try to get as an replacement?

The thing is though, you shouldn't have to just shrug it off. Yes, they may not be gens, but, neither are they Canal St garbage, and there is at least a basic level of quality which these watches appear to adhere to. Maybe I've just been very lucky in my purchases so may have a skewed perspective, I don't know, but, to my way of thinking, if I asked my dealer to check the date aligned properly, I would expect them to do it, and not expect them to send a watch with a miss-aligning date wheel. That's just arrogant on behalf of the dealer. They know they have your money, and there's not much you can do to recoup it. At the end of the day, we rely on our dealers to play straight with us, and, given that the money we are paying is not rep, I don't think it is too much to ask...

If I had the cash, I'd offer to buy the GMTC2 from you as, with a watch I know would be a 'shelf-dweller', I wouldn't be too concerned about the issues, and it is, from a historic point of view, a watch I would like for my collection, but, sadly, I am completley and utterly flat broke. I literally just spent the last money in my account on a new pair of shoes for the upcoming winter months as I don't have any other suitable footwear, so I'm not in a position to help you out :( As for suggestions on a replacement, I recall you said you like GMT watches, do you have a Panerai 029a in your collection? I really like mine. Even though it doesn't get much wrist time, it is a favorite of my collections, so I'd certainly recommend it as a watch :) Best of luck :good:

Hi Teejay,

no, to be honest, I was never drawn to any GMT watches, until I saw the ceramic. Something about the watch bring out emotions that I did not have with any GMT watches. I remembered the old days when Eddie offered the ETA 2893 in 029 and 063, and I should have jumped on it then for $450. Look at how much the currency of reps have changed. It's been pretty crazy. Maybe it's a funny way that someone is telling me that I am just not supposed to spend any money on GMTs in general! Maybe I will get some trades out of all these GMTs here. But to be honest, I really wanted a good Ceramic. But I just really cannot put myself into all the time invested in it, at least the emotion part of it, then get let down that much..........

Hi Teejay,

no, to be honest, I was never drawn to any GMT watches, until I saw the ceramic. Something about the watch bring out emotions that I did not have with any GMT watches. I remembered the old days when Eddie offered the ETA 2893 in 029 and 063, and I should have jumped on it then for $450. Look at how much the currency of reps have changed. It's been pretty crazy. Maybe it's a funny way that someone is telling me that I am just not supposed to spend any money on GMTs in general! Maybe I will get some trades out of all these GMTs here. But to be honest, I really wanted a good Ceramic. But I just really cannot put myself into all the time invested in it, at least the emotion part of it, then get let down that much..........

That's fair enough, I guess watch-wise, they're pretty much something of a 'love it or hate it' watch. Personally, I love how they look, but wouldn't really feel comfortable wearing one if it wasn't actually tracking a second (different) time zone for some reason (be it on vacation, or tracking a time in another country that a relative is on vacation in, for example), which is why I don't wear my 029 very often... Maybe when the time is right, you'll look into getting a GMT again :) Best of luck with the sales :):good:

Woody after two wrong watches and now a badly flawed (supposedly) hand picked one I would personally be telling the collector that a very bad review will be forthcoming if this latest problem is not fixed quickly and correctly.

Sorry to hear of your epic struggle just to get the watch you want.

Ken