When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine/Rep Datejust Comparison

RobbieG

As promised here are a couple of quick comparison shots for you. The main things to note are as follows:

1. The latest gens have a redesigned case. The case is still 36MM, but the latest serial years have a case which has slightly wider lugs which make the watch look larger and more broad shouldered even though it is the same size. The Day-Date case is still the same and the DJ's no longer use the same case. The reps still use the same case as the Day-Date though. As you can see in the photos the sides taper down more steeply towards the lugs on the rep.

2. Also regarding the case, these latest cases have the engraving on the rehaut. The rep is correct but sort of incorrect in this regard. The rep case is correct in that it would just be an older watch, but instead it has the old style case WITH the engraving. It would be more correct to have no engraving since it is the older, narrower lugged case. Minor detail of course.

3. The Rhodium dial on the gen is of course real rhodium and in the rep it is just steel which is colored as closely as possible. This is only really noticable if you have them side by side, but there is a huge differnce in the complexity of the dial color. The rep always looks the same dark silver color and the gen has a whole range of color depending on the light.

4. The smooth bezel on the older style case should be less rounded and more of a 45 degree angle. On the rep I recently had, it came with the new style more rounded bezel, but I sourced a 45 degree one. I just never installed in on the watch before it was sold. The new owner should install it though to be most accurate.

5. The gen applied markers are white gold as are the hands. The rep hands and markers are steel. The rep hands are spot on. As usual the applied markers are a bit sloppy at high magnification on the rep but at natural distance they look perfect. Of note is that the gen markers are more rounded.

6. Rolex loves to change up dial fonts, crowns, the "swiss made" fonts, etc on these watches a LOT. I have seen many different variations and years of these and suffice it to say the rep fonts are fine with a capital F. Perfect and not sloppy at all either.

7. Since the F serial numbers, Rolex has been using single sided AR under the entire crystal and cyclops on the gen DJ's which is virtually colorless. It is not all that powerful but it is there. Not to be confused with the additional AR they now use on the mags on the GMTIIc. The DJ doesn't have that but just a general coating under the entire crystal. It shows up most in the cyclops and is much easier to see than the reps in that regard. The cyclops and its magnification are virtually spot on on the rep, but the numerals are certainly less crisp and bold than the gen.

8. The new style rep bracelet is perfect in every way. I feel that I could put the rep bracelet on the gen and be totally happy with it.

9. The crystal sits up nice and tall on the rep and is virtually spot on

10. The quality of the steel is great on the rep as well and the overall fit and finish of the parts is as good as I have ever seen on any rep. One final observation though that is tough to see in the photos though is that Rolex steel is really a LOT whiter than rep steel to me eye. Many don't really notice it but I do for sure. It shows up most in direct, natural light but it is there for sure. I don't know what it is about Rolex steel but it just shines more than the steel on any of my other gens by a long shot. It is just so nice. As a side note, their Rose Gold in my opinion is the best looking in the industry. They just really have metals down cold.

Now on to a few photos. Sorry I don't have many but the main things to note are the cyclops, the dial color, and most importantly the case differences which should be obvious. The newer case with the wider lugs makes a HUGE difference on the perceived size of the watch. It is the strangest thing as it is so subtle and the watch is the same size. But that taper difference makes the new DJ's seem MUCH bigger than the Day-Date. Go into an AD when you get the change and compare them. Or better yet, find and AD that has an old brushed finish DJ to compare a new one too. It will blow your mind. A whole new watch for sure. But the bottom line is that the latest DJ's are some of the most accurate and well made reps around. I'm sure the member who has my old one might chime in here and let you know as well that the quality of those reps is off the charts. Highly recommended!

Gen:

Datejust4.jpg

Rep:

dj6.jpg

Gen:

DJ1.jpg

Rep:

dj3.jpg

Gen:

DJ7.jpg

Rep:

dj4.jpg

Gen:

DJ5.jpg

Rep:

dj5.jpg

Gen:

Datejust1.jpg

Rep:

dj1.jpg

Not really. It is an M serial so I got it this year though. I just haven't been wearing it and I just kind of fell in love with its simplicity all over again as I have been looking at more and more smaller watches. I kind of have dress watches on the brain right now as I have thinned out the larger sports watches keeping only those in constant rotation. So I know I will be adding two or three really nice, but smaller dress watches over the next year or so. But this watch has had a permanent place in my collection and the rep did too for the year before I got the gen. I never cared for Datejusts until they redesigned them recently and widened the lugs and added the combo brushed - polished surfaces, new oyster bracelet/smooth bezel, etc...

Great comparison, and beautiful watches! :wub:

Is the gen DJ a recent acquisition?

Jubilee bracelet is something that I never really cared about.

The polished midlink Oyster band is PERFECT for the DJ. Very classy and really suits the watch well. The "Daytona clasp" is really nice too.

Yeah, I'm not a Jubilee fan at all either. Really dislike them actually. I think the Oyster with the new clasp really make the watch cross over more. As long as I'm wearing a long sleve pullover or button down I regularly wear it with jeans. I just think it is a bit small to wear with a short sleve shirt though. I think smaller watches look good just outside a long sleve. Under is no good - then you can't look at it. LOL.

Jubilee bracelet is something that I never really cared about.

The polished midlink Oyster band is PERFECT for the DJ. Very classy and really suits the watch well. The "Daytona clasp" is really nice too.

The wider lugs make a big difference to the appearance on the wrist. The rep dial you have, is not one of the better ones I've seen over the years. Clearly the printing isn't even close. Another rep roman marker flaw that still seems to exist on your dial is the width of the numerals. The rep numerals are a little anemic. Overall, though, from a distance the rep looks great on the wrist. The gen, however, stands up to scrutiny. As I said previously, the difference in bracelet quality itself seems subtle in pics, but to the touch it is anything but. Pictures just don't do the actual look and feel justice.

GREAT write up. Worth being pinned.

Thanks for the fantastic contribution!

Thanks Chief. Yeah, the lugs are the whole thing now to me. And I agree about the rep fonts - although they do vary a lot on the gens. For example the fonts on the M's serials like mine are as small and thin as I have ever seen them. The Z's and D's are WAY different. The applied markers are thinner by a long shot but at a distance they really are fine for the most part. Anyway, thanks for the compliments.

The wider lugs make a big difference to the appearance on the wrist. The rep dial you have, is not one of the better ones I've seen over the years. Clearly the printing isn't even close. Another rep roman marker flaw that still seems to exist on your dial is the width of the numerals. The rep numerals are a little anemic. Overall, though, from a distance the rep looks great on the wrist. The gen, however, stands up to scrutiny. As I said previously, the difference in bracelet quality itself seems subtle in pics, but to the touch it is anything but. Pictures just don't do the actual look and feel justice.

GREAT write up. Worth being pinned.

Thanks for the fantastic contribution!