When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC BP 5002 Ver1

Guest hoopty

Guest hoopty

Hi, I don't know if anyone can do this? referring to to the new IWC Big Pilot V1s date's is very recessed/deep down as that is the only reason I have not got one yet, even though the gen has been #1 on my dream list for over 3yrs, though I cant stomach the gens cost. can some one any where know how to elevate it, soo it may seem flushed? I have already P.Med and emailed some of our modders on the rep forums and I do understand that a different movement is needed to do this properly as watch cases which use the 7753 sometimes come with the 7750 and have the date depth/recessed issue. But is there anyway to Jerry Rig it, to elevate the date wheel by making it thicker/heighten it correctly so it may seem flushed? I am sorry I understand for $200 it's quite a bargain as it is, though I am very anal about perfection and would like to explore my horizons if this can be done as that is the only issue which is holding me and some others back from getting it.

Thx

I guess there is no easy fix to this. If it was, the manufacturer would have done it.

I suspect there are gears which run above the date wheel, so a thicker wheel will come in conflict with those. This is the reason for the similar sunken date wheel on the Navitimer 3-6-9 version.

But, the Navitimer uses a modded movement, where the BP uses a regular movement, so I could be wrong.

Guest hoopty
I guess there is no easy fix to this. If it was, the manufacturer would have done it.

I suspect there are gears which run above the date wheel, so a thicker wheel will come in conflict with those. This is the reason for the similar sunken date wheel on the Navitimer 3-6-9 version.

But, the Navitimer uses a modded movement, where the BP uses a regular movement, so I could be wrong.

Thanks as you can tell I am not too familiar with all that goes on in the inside of these watches, though a very good answer.

I dont know if it would be too much to ask. Can anyone post pics of the movement from the dial side to tell if this is even possible?

that would mean taking the hands and dial apart.. which would be a moot point because honestly as Cg already stated if there were a way to mod the DW the Maker would of done it.. it has to do with the movement hoopy.. it really does not look that bad and if it was not brought up you probably would not obsess over it..

for me.. I will enjoy it .. if they come out with one in which there is a movement that can correct this without heavily modifiying the movement then I'll be all over it.. but that may not be for some time down the road.. until then this is more than a good price for "a" BP rep.. of this quality..

Cheers

L

Guest hoopty
that would mean taking the hands and dial apart.. which would be a moot point because honestly as Cg already stated if there were a way to mod the DW the Maker would of done it.. it has to do with the movement hoopy.. it really does not look that bad and if it was not brought up you probably would not obsess over it..

for me.. I will enjoy it .. if they come out with one in which there is a movement that can correct this without heavily modifiying the movement then I'll be all over it.. but that may not be for some time down the road.. until then this is more than a good price for "a" BP rep.. of this quality..

Cheers

L

Thanks, Well I have studied the BP quite a bit and the date being recessed is the most obvious sign for being a fake. I know I am anal about perfection but this is a flaw which makes it too obvious. Though I might just have to get it then toy around with it if it can be done. Though if anyone out there has the guts to open theres up, It may let alot of us know.

Thanks, Well I have studied the BP quite a bit and the date being recessed is the most obvious sign for being a fake. I know I am anal about perfection but this is a flaw which makes it too obvious. Though I might just have to get it then toy around with it if it can be done. Though if anyone out there has the guts to open theres up, It may let alot of us know.

You really need not "study" the BP intensely to realize that the DW is recessed more than the Genuine .. it's there for all of us to see.. but as stated it is not as bad if you look staight on .. only when you look at the dial from an extreme angle .. and for 200 usd I can "live" with it..

it's not about "having the guts" because we are "ALL" about " helping the community, rather it's about knowing the limitations of the asian movements .. as others have stated regarding the PR.. I too would rather it be "fixed" than working for 2 day's..

You may consider this a "project" you could be inclined to undertake to "help" the community..

Good Luck with your findings :D

Lani

With all the great reps we have (all with recessed DW's) I don't understand why it is such a big deal. NO one will ever notice, unless they are members of this forum. It doesn't stop all the others from being best sellers. I have just looked at a Gen BP and guess what? it is also a bit recessed!

To be honest, you have to wear it as a rep, if you want to go around pretending its a gen all well and good, but you have to remember there will be flaws even with V52. Its a 200USD watch with a cheap movement, not a 12k watch with a unique 7 day power reserve. If you are willing to pay 200USD for it, then do it and be happy with it.

With all the great reps we have (all with recessed DW's) I don't understand why it is such a big deal. NO one will ever notice, unless they are members of this forum. It doesn't stop all the others from being best sellers. I have just looked at a Gen BP and guess what? it is also a bit recessed!

You took the words right out of ma fingers ... re: the recessed DW .. a bit anyway

iwc1yo4eb9.jpg

There is no mod that will elevate the datewheel to be flush with the underside of the dial, period. As someone stated earlier, another set of gears is added to the top of the movement to move the date to the bottom, similar to the 7750 mod.

So, to recap--it's not going to ever be flush. It will always be recessed.

You really need not "study" the BP intensely to realize that the DW is recessed more than the Genuine .. it's there for all of us to see.. but as stated it is not as bad if you look staight on .. only when you look at the dial from an extreme angle .. and for 200 usd I can "live" with it..

it's not about "having the guts" because we are "ALL" about " helping the community, rather it's about knowing the limitations of the asian movements .. as others have stated regarding the PR.. I too would rather it be "fixed" than working for 2 day's..

You may consider this a "project" you could be inclined to undertake to "help" the community..

Good Luck with your findings :D

Lani

Understandable, Though the Rep is alot more obvious due to a more significant depth to its date. I am sorry If I am coming across as I have to have this done, Though I still like the watch and will probably still get it to toy with it as I would like everyone to benefit from this post as I know alot of people also would like to have atleast the date right.

Also one of the good modders has contacted me back saying that He thinks the top plate of the movement might need to be modified to making it possible or he can do it by disabling the date feature, Though he will need to look at it before anything and hes not promising anything either. worth a try?

Here is another shot of the GEN which makes it obvious that the date is recessed though not as much as the REP.

Imagen145.jpg

Edited by hoopty

disabable the date feature ??? :rolleyes:

I think you are missing the "point" of the "date feature"... it is meant to keep the current date "daily" <_< ... :lol: ..

Lol and yes I am aware of that. Though since the Power reserve meter does not work the date is not that much of a sacrifice as I dont care for the date that much either though I am hoping it can be manually changed daily... As every morning I do check timing by my Atomic wall clock and wind the watch up and while at it changing the date is not that much of an edition to a regular routine.

PS: I don't know if this sounds stupid, But I would rather have a perfect looking watch than a perfectly functioning one.

Edited by hoopty

disabable the date feature ??? :rolleyes:

If I can throw my hat in the ring, I offer modification services that disable a range of features on a mechanical watch. :animal_rooster:

This is my trusted Bergeon tool collection:

hammertg4.jpg

NB: To avoid claims of a conflict of interest, it is only fair to disclose that RBJ has been offering this movement disabling service for customers for a number of years now. :p

If I can throw my hat in the ring, I offer modification services that disable a range of features on a mechanical watch. :animal_rooster:

This is my trusted Bergeon tool collection:

hammertg4.jpg

NB: To avoid claims of a conflict of interest, it is only fair to disclose that RBJ has been offering this movement disabling service for customers for a number of years now. :p

LoL, I might just need that to open the case up.

it does.. :bangin: .. send it to me..... I can disable anything without even trying.. :D

Anyways, forgot to ask, hows the lume on yours? not that it matters Also after seeing too many of your wrist shots how big is your wrist?

Thx

disabling the date feature

Disabling the date feature - I am not sure if many of you still remember a guy from old RWG who had a once-in-a-month-wearable Big Pilot like 2 years ago - with genuine dial and fixed PR and DW.

I don't remember which member that was....

I think we are wasting our time on threads like this... with members who need to share why they are "not" going to buy a rep... as stated on another thread .. seems like a whole lot of discrediting to the rep is going on and may be targeted at the dealer instead of the 5002 itself... I may be wrong .. but .. look at the dial.. the sunken date window .. like so many others with asian movements .. becomes a topic of "why I will not buy it"..

Like this is earth shattering news.. :rolleyes:

I am ready to get it though I am sure there might be people out there who ordered it at the fluke of the moment and might not like it, So I am holding out for some one to sell me theres with no QC issues as I have seen a person on RG get it with a messed up dial. Though If I dont get any response to my WTB soon I will be placing an order from Trusties.