When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Popping the IWC cherry

kingkaiser

The topic says it all...should the Ingy be my first? Classy, understated, accurate, reliable mechanism - all words you could use for the gen. According to what I hear, save for some crappy datewheels, you can apply this to the rep as well.

The other IWCs that I'm passionate about include the Portuguese regulatuer. automatic, and chromo-automatict, the reps of which I hear are terrible. In some cases, there were cosmetic errors, and in most cases the movement that was provided was faulty and failed 70% of the time!

Is that true, or was there something I missed while reading through the pages?

my first IWC was a GST Chrono... these can be had for as little as 220USD at www.pam111.com incl. shipping and need little or no mods to proudly wear it....

as it's an asian 7750 you can expect it to fail at some point in time, for me this took 2 years and was fixed for 7euro's by my local watchguy (the small second hand of the chrono fell of).... so perhaps the ingy is the more 'safe' choice with regards to movement. but remember; if you start taking it apart for DW-change, relume or AR-treatment, there's always the change of a failure during the re-assembly and shipping the watch around through regular mail....

be warned though on the IWC-virus... after 2 years of rep-pleasure I couldn't help myself and spoiled myself after a promotion by buying a gen mkXVI ;-)

Considered the 3717, but realized the IWC was much more versatile and was a watch that screams understatement - contradiction in terms, but it seems like such an apt description.

Still a fan of the 3717 though - might be a purchase down the line...although I'm just waiting for the day they make a reliable Portuguese...

Ingy go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or a 3717

my first IWC was a GST Chrono... these can be had for as little as 220USD at www.pam111.com incl. shipping and need little or no mods to proudly wear it....

as it's an asian 7750 you can expect it to fail at some point in time, for me this took 2 years and was fixed for 7euro's by my local watchguy (the small second hand of the chrono fell of).... so perhaps the ingy is the more 'safe' choice with regards to movement. but remember; if you start taking it apart for DW-change, relume or AR-treatment, there's always the change of a failure during the re-assembly and shipping the watch around through regular mail....

be warned though on the IWC-virus... after 2 years of rep-pleasure I couldn't help myself and spoiled myself after a promotion by buying a gen mkXVI ;-)

With the GST, as you pointed out, I was worried about the movement, esp since the ones I've seen are chronographs. For my first one, I didnt want anything that would crap out on me in a short period of time (Ive read some asian movements last for a few months), as that would dull my enthusiasm.

As far as I know though, Lello datewheels are hard to come by, so a DW swap seems unlikely for a while, and the lume and AR on this watch are supposed to be pretty good. Part of the reason I like this is because its so close to the gen right out of the box...

I'm already getting early symptoms of the IWC virus btw - I've had odd dreams about the Aquatimer...

Gah! And now someone threw the Vacheron Constantin Overseas in my face. Both have a genta design. The Ingy is more butch, but the VCO seems to be straddling that line between classy and masculine. Dammit! I've read some reviews on the VCO - it has errors, but most people wouldnt even know the spelling of Constantin, let alone what the design SHOULD be.

I hear mixed reviews about the VCO though - Everyone believes it to be beautiful, but a lot seem to think it lacks presence. And of course the bracelet adjustment problem on it would make it aggravating. The Ingy, on the other hand, "feels" like the gen, but has a gamey clasp...

Just when I thought I had it figured out...