When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Was it a rep?

TeeJay

Okay, so I sat next to a guy on the bus earlier, who was wearing a large watch, which had the Breitling logo and diagonal-link bracelet. The dial was a brushed silver color, had several sub dials (which I couldn't really make out) a moon-phase window, and a definite quartz movement. It was the movement which aroused my suspicions. Any ideas as to what model it could've been? Any ideas as to if it was a rep or a gen? The guy was probably in his late forties and wearing shorts and a t-shirt (but I know that's no real indicator) Thanks in advance :good:

Quartz+Breitling+Moonphase=Rep

(Correct me if I'm wrong).

It must have been VERY, VERY, low grade too. Maybe he was wearing one of these fantasy jammies. Only the first one is likely to be quartz, the second is an ODD-O-matic.

post-15987-1220301574_thumb.jpg

post-15987-1220301586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Codammanus-2014

Quartz+Breitling+Moonphase=Rep

(Correct me if I'm wrong).

It must have been VERY, VERY, low grade too. Maybe he was wearing one of these fantasy jammies. Only the first one is likely to be quartz, the second is an ODD-O-matic.

It was kind of a fusion of those two designs. The case of the second watch, but with the moon phase positioned at the side of the case, rather than at '6' There was also some red printing around the top of the '6' sub-dial.

I've never been over keen on Breitlings, but, there was something about that one which appealed to me. If the markers had been luminous, I might've been tempted to track one down.

I did say "Nice Breitling..." in passing, but, as it was when the bus lurched, he might've thought I said "Nice driving..." as his reply was more in keeping to that, rather than "Thanks..." I didn't make a show of my 104, but I don't think he even noticed it under my sleeve.

Quartz moonphase would suggest a replica. There were some genuine Navitimers that had a moonphase, but they would have used the automatic movement.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, thanks for confirming my suspicions :)

If it was quartz it was definitely a replica..If it was an automatic than it would be a navi montbrilliant olympus - but it sounds like it was a replica

It was definitely a quartz movement, then, as the second hand was 'ticking'. I couldn't make out the sub-dial details, as I was wearing non-prescription sun-glasses, but I could see that the blur was definitely 'ticking' rather than sweeping ;) It really did look like a very nice watch. The funny thing, was later on in the day, I saw someone wearing a watch which I initially thought was a MontBlanc TimeWalker, but they said they bought on holiday in Greece for 20 Euros :lol: Looking at that dial, it did have it's own branding, so it was clearly just a clone of the design, but again, looked like a very nice watch regardless of brandname :)

Quartz moonphase would suggest a replica. There were some genuine Navitimers that had a moonphase, but they would have used the automatic movement.

Shorts and T-shirt and, ahem, riding a bus- would also be a major signs. Hey, was he wearing a pair of these?

sneakers.jpg

Ciao, Arty

Shorts and T-shirt and, ahem, riding a bus- would also be a major signs. Hey, was he wearing a pair of these?

sneakers.jpg

Ciao, Arty

Funnily enough, they were fairly similar ;) I admit, the signs were there, but I didn't want to judge the guy just on his clothes and mode of transport :lol:

• 1 year later...
...and, ahem, riding a bus...

Ciao, Arty

Oy! I ride the bus too. Come to think of it I also wear t-shirts, although I don't own any shorts. Nevertheless I could pick up a genuine Navitimer or two tomorrow if I was so inclined, and afterwards I'd still be riding buses.

Years ago I knew a multi-millionaire who'd left the rat race, hung out with the homeless guys and spent his nights under bridges and on hot air vents. He used to be the head stable master for the Saudi royal family and still wore a Patek. I got to know him after I offered to buy him a burger, which he politely declined and instead bought me a three course meal at the most expensive place in town.

Only the mentally limited judge others by their appearance or their chosen mode of transportation.

Oy! I ride the bus too. Come to think of it I also wear t-shirts, although I don't own any shorts. Nevertheless I could pick up a genuine Navitimer or two tomorrow if I was so inclined, and afterwards I'd still be riding buses.

Years ago I knew a multi-millionaire who'd left the rat race, hung out with the homeless guys and spent his nights under bridges and on hot air vents. He used to be the head stable master for the Saudi royal family and still wore a Patek. I got to know him after I offered to buy him a burger, which he politely declined and instead bought me a three course meal at the most expensive place in town.

Only the mentally limited judge others by their appearance or their chosen mode of transportation.

+1 :victory:

Now that's a cool story :) That's a pretty eccentric way for a multi-millionaire to live, but as they say, no harm, no foul :victory: