When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aftermarket Daytona screw down pusher

vlaletom

Hi evryone ..

I need some advice from the vintage Daytona expert.

I know some of you like Avitt or fredy333 have a lot of experiance in those.

DW is currently out of Pusher for his case kit.

so for my new 6265 project i need to find some after market pushers.

What is the best option ? are offei's any good ? i think there supose to replace curent daytona pusher (24.p302.0) and not the 24.p301.0 found on a 6265.

pusher i have from DW in my 6263 aren't that good anyway they looks more like a mixt between the early prototype of screw down pusher that had very thin grip (like model N

post-774-1220300416_thumb.jpg

Most of DWs pushers suck (but I believe he is working on getting a supply from Ofrei) & I always replace them with either gens (search ebay) or Ofreis (I have not purchased the screw types in over a year, so the design or Ofrei's supplier may have changed since then). Phong sells the same pushers Ofrei sells, but for 10 times the price.

Be careful when replacing pushers in DWs, because I have noticed that some of the pusher holes were cut slightly too large. In these cases, I had to drill out the hole, retap & order a larger diameter pusher assembly from Ofrei. 1 of my DW torture stories (tutorials) describes the general problem & includes some micrometer pics. Search for my name & either 6239 or 6241.......I am pretty sure it was 1 of those.

freddy333, have you ever tried to replace the screw-down pushers? Because, in my experience, the Ofrie replacements will not fit the DW cases. The thread pitch is finer on the genuine/Ofrie screw-downs (0.2mm vs. 0.25mm, if I remember correctly).

The pump pushers for the 6239/6241 do fit fine, as you've mentioned.

thanks you both for the answare.

Ofrei curent pusher is said to be 2.5 so that should do it.

I was wondering if they were visually acurate ?

Olso gen current pusher are easy to find, of course it's expensive (around 180$) i wonder if it worth the extra money ?

are pusher swapped during service like the crown & tube ?

freddy333, have you ever tried to replace the screw-down pushers? Because, in my experience, the Ofrie replacements will not fit the DW cases. The thread pitch is finer on the genuine/Ofrie screw-downs (0.2mm vs. 0.25mm, if I remember correctly).

Yes, the thread pitch is different. I have replaced 2 sets of the screw-type pushers in DWs & the holes were too large for the gens or Ofreis, which is why I retapped & fit the next larger size from Ofrei. Unlike the plain pushers, Ofrei's screw pushers were relatively more expensive, around $40/each, which was still alot less than Phong was selling them for at the time. The last time I saw a pair of NOS screw-type gens, they were just under $200/each.

And nice to hear from you again, Avitt. Been awhile.

Ofrei is currently advertizing is screw down pusher with a thread of 2.50 mm so it should be possible to tap the case and have them fit.

i wouldn't mind pay 2*200$ for gen if i was shure that rolex put's 24.p302.0 when serviced, but if it is still inacurate it doesn't worth the extra compare to ofrei $40

Ofrei is currently advertizing is screw down pusher with a thread of 2.50 mm so it should be possible to tap the case and have them fit.

i wouldn't mind pay 2*200$ for gen if i was shure that rolex put's 24.p302.0 when serviced, but if it is still inacurate it doesn't worth the extra compare to ofrei $40

The hole size is the same, but the thread pitch is finer on the aftermarket (Ofrei) pusher as Avitt mentioned above. I ran in to this same dilemna when replacing the pushers on my DW. Avitt was kind enough to do a trade for a set of DW pushers to help me finish the project (thanks again Avitt). I may still switch out the pushers to the Ofrei aftermarket pushers one day to improve the water resistance. I didn't test the Ofrei pushers as I couldn't install them in the case (thread pitch issue), but I have tested 4 different DW pushers and all of them leak like a sieve at 3 atms in the pressure chamber of the waterproof tester. The construction of the Ofrei pushers is much more robust and I think that they would be far more likely to pass muster under pressure. The Ofrei pushers appeared identical to my eye when I compared them to detailed photos of genuine pushers and I think they would suffice. I would certainly defer to the opinions of Avitt and Freddy as they both have much more experience with the DWs than I do.

And nice to hear from you again, Avitt. Been awhile.

Thank freddy333...regards to you! I haven't been quite as active as usual, but I always find the time to check in on your posts :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The 2.5mm is the diameter, and shouldn't be confused with the thread pitch, which is a measurement of the size of the threads. Both Ofrie and DW pushers have a 2.5mm diameter. However, the DW pushers have 0.25mm between threads (there are 4 threads per mm), while the Ofrei pushers have a finer thread pitch of 0.2mm between threads (5 threads per mm). This is what causes the problem.

I agree with Heywood...the Ofrie screw-down pushers would be an upgrade, if they could be mounted securely.

Once agian thanks for the help.

I finnally ordered pusher from cousin.uk as i usually prefer to do buisness with them than ofrei.

They do list there aftermarket pusher as ref 24.302.0 and are probably 1:1 with curent rolex's one.

I let you know how it goes with them ....

I'm eager to see your results...Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Oky so i have recived the cousin pusher.

and i found them to be the perfect solution, they have a better look than DW's (more rounded and with less teeth), and a better construction.

time to share my experience with those.

first they are very well made and comes with a fixation ring

DSC00714.jpg

As you can see and unlike DW they are easyly unscrewed, with a clear insert for the screw driver

DSC00715.jpg

Once unscrewed u can see that there is 2 gasket in the tube, so that is a very good point for water resistance.

DSC00716.jpg

As expected the thread size doesn' match DW case.

But this can be arranged using a rolex taping tool, this time you will need the small size taping tool, not the one for the 7mm crown 3mm hole.

But rather the 2.5 mm one that is used for 24-600 24-500 tube found on smaller crown.

As seen in the pics the thread for the small tube are way smaller then in a 3mm one.

DSC00711.jpg

Once retaped you can screw the pusher by hands almost half the way without to much resistance.

And since those pusher can be disasembled, you can then force the pusher in with a plier, while the pusher are disasembled, without risking to let mark on any visible part of the pusher

It will screw in all the way without to much force and then be very well secured to the case.

DSC00718.jpg

For more security and water resistance you can even use cousin special thread glue

DSC00717.jpg

Once the base o the pusher is firmly attached to the case you can then reassemble the pusher from the inside.

DSC00713.jpg

and this wont let any visible trace of abuse :)

DSC00722.jpg

Finnaly you have to shorter the pusher pin length as the are too long for the V72/23

This can only be done once re-assembled and will make disapear the screwdriver insert, so you wont be able to re-do the whole process.

For this i used a precision dremel, but yo can use any other solution

DSC00723.jpg

And the final result is a perfect fit

DSC00724.jpg

I hope this will help other members facing david shortage of pusher ...

Thanks for the tutorial. Just as suspected, these pushers are the same as the ones from Ofrei, and the thread gauge is not correct for the DW cases (.20mm threads vs. .25mm threads). Your method of forcing them in with pliers is one solution...But you have to be very careful: If you damage those external splines with the pliers, then the pusher will not unscrew and depress correctly. (Ask me how I know...)

Edited by avitt

I could not agree more with Avitt - you should NEVER force any watch parts. If it does not screw in easily, something is wrong. If you tap the case with the smaller Rolex tap (make sure to run the tap all the way through the hole), the threads should then be correct for (& match) the Cousins/Ofrei pusher's threads. You should also use a pusher wrench to screw the base into the case, but it should not require more than moderate finger pressure. In fact, you should only snug the pushers down & not tighten them (they break easily). And not to give you too much of a hard time, but I would also not have used thread locker, especially if you forced the bases part of the way into the case. A better option (to seal the pusher base) would be to use GC Crystal cement or silicone sealant, either of which provides a good seal without permanently cementing the parts into the case.

Still, the final result looks good. Good luck with the rest of your project. Just remember -- if you have to force it, you are probably doing something wrong.

• 1 month later...

Little update

I was assembling a new DW ...

And after Freddy and avitt warning i have found a better way to screww the pusher to the case.

My main consern was not to damage the external splines with the pliers.

So the solution is to actually order 1 more pusher from cousin. that extra one will serve as a "tool" to assemble all your next pusher.

You just have to use the cap of that extra pusher as a pusher wrench to screw the base into the case.

So you actually use the plier on the extra cap, that you can safly damage. and this way your pusher are imaculate :)

Now i will post picture of my 2 DW in an other thread ...

Yes freddy that is certainly the best thing to use :)

but as i have never used or even seen one, i was not too shure it would works with any kind of pusher, so the extra pusher solution came to my mind.

and i was olso intersted in the few spare parts it would provide (actually the screw as it can be usefull if somthing gors wrong in grinding ...)

• 2 months later...

So after I installed also Cousin's Pushers on some

Dw's now I can say it's not really easy to install them.

After retapping the Pusher Holes please do not put some force on the

Pushers, if you do it you may run in problems with the function of them.

Best way to have the right tool to install the base from the pushers.

Let the pusher stem include the gaskets inside the pusher.

Screw down the pusher like you do while retapping.

Screw down and ever way back do this all the time

After a while the pusher is completly srcewd down and fit

perfectly.

• 2 years later...

Ok, just because I love to beat a dead horse shamelessly. Where is everyone getting their m2.5 taps with the right .25 pitch? I cannot find them. The one I ordered was sent wrong and I really don't want to wait ten more days. I got a m2 not m2.5 with the wrong pitch(seller advertised wrong)

Thanks in advance.

E

• 1 month later...