When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Speedmaster Moon Watch

Guest Sql_pl

As i recently realised - I am a true watch junkie. I just found out I feel uncomfortable when there is nothing on the way to me and if I have no tracking to check everytime I have access to any computer - yes I often memorize trackings so I can check them everywhere, I know it's sick.

So after the Skyland and Big Pilot landed I started to look for something new.

Well, there are not many options when it comes to new reps so I felt I need to find something I like from the reps that have been here for a while.

The list looked like this:

- SS/Ceramic YCM HBB

- SS/SS AP ROO

- Ultimate 127E

- GMTIIc

Even with good prices negotiated with a dealer it is still a bit above 1500 usd.

Sooo... yesterday I had a thought - maybe I should see if there is a nice gen speedy I could get instead? It was a while since I got my last gen anyway...

And I found one! Not an easy thing to do as they seem to attract a lot of attention and tend to sell very fast but there is one ready to be my watch.

So I am writing this to find out what are your opinions on the watch - I know that quite a lot of you guys have gen speedies in their collections.

Some pics that I could use to drool would be more than appreciated!

Thanks!

I bought a gen speedy last year after selling off my reps to fund it. Now i'm back in the rep game with a 3717, but I still have the speedy, which is almost perfect to me. I love the hesalite, the handwinding, its accuracy (it's not COSC certified but it keeps time to -2/day). It is a classic, and no rep will ever match the tight subdial spacing, which I love. It is a the perfect tool watch, and the polished curvy lugs and incredibly nice bracelet make it gorgeous as well as functional. I can't recommend the speedy pro highly enough. It's a classic.

I am not as into cameras as I am into watches, so no pics. I hope you get yours and wear it well!

+1 +2 +3.....

@#$%^&*() for $1500 I would chew my own arm off!!

I want one! I would easily pay more than that...

A gen speedmaster moonie? WTF did you find it at that price? Is it a reputiable person?

Last time (about a month ago) I priced a gen. they were about $2800-3200 USD depending on where the watch was...

Make sure that it is what they say it is....

Lucky #$&*.... :D

I am jelous. Now I have to start looking again...

Wear it well!

-K

There aren't many watches that are worth buying as gens (not counting the real "high horology" pieces that can't be repped). But Speedy Moon is definitely one of the best gen purchases I can think of. Can't really find many watches that have so much traditions and history on them.

There aren't many watches that are worth buying as gens (not counting the real "high horology" pieces that can't be repped). But Speedy Moon is definitely one of the best gen purchases I can think of. Can't really find many watches that have so much traditions and history on them.

Yea, I agree BT. It's always been at the top of my gen buy list.

Seeing all of these gens posted makes me notice my rep subdial spacing more....might have to start shopping for the gen B)

I just bought a speedmaster professional with moonphase and date (manual wind.)

I have to tell you- it has very quickly become one of my favorite watches.

It is not a 'fashion watch'- it does not stick out like some of the more flashy designs. It is simple and functional.

As such, it will never ever look dated- so in that sense it is a lot like a Submariner, with the added advantage of NOT being a Rolex (I have never liked the image associated with Rolex- it seems to be more of a prestige brand than anything else.)

You can get them reasonably priced if you look around, and you will really enjoy your purchase.

Best,

-O

Thanks for all beautiful pics guys.

The original seller dissapeared and is not responding to my emails (luckily before I've payed) so I guess I need to start looking around for other example.

I totally agree that an original Moonwatch, i.e. regular handwind Speedy Pro with solid caseback, should be one of the first on the list of gen buys. I bought mine on Ebay at 2-3 months old, without any sign of having been worn, at about 65% of the retail price at the time. Buy the best you can at the best price you can and you should never experience any depreciation. IMO the only watch that you can be confident will retain its appeal in the long term is one that already has done just that. There are few that can match the Speedy in this respect - even the Submariner has changed and been updated more than once in the Speedy's lifetime.