When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM cutout dials lume, trying to replicate the lume

RWG Technical

First time I have had these in house for lume.

Done in the same way as the genuine ones, with my custom lume mix.

Filled each cutout with the lume and brought it up on the inner edges as was done on the genuine ones. Once dry I applied clear varnish over each numeral and then clear coated the entire dial.

I thought that sandwich dials consumed a lot of lume, each of these dials takes 2X as much lume as any sandwich dial I have done...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

RG

Thanks guys...

I don't think they are gen dials, I have to take a few more shots to try and show the way the lume sits once dry kind of like a bathtub with the sides coated.

The glow isn't so great, since this is C1 with my colouring to make it look like tritium, the camera WB has made the lume too bright, it's actually somewhat darker and more ochre...

I would love to do a couple of these in C3 with reflective white paint in the cutouts...

RG

I doubt that dial is gen. While the text looks correctly repped with serif (unsure: serif seem to show in the 2nd pic, but not in the 1st), the logo is a bit too large and the cutouts are even too sunken.

The Zigmeister, your artwork is awesome as always!

Just, on my info, the lume on the 201A does not fill the cutouts, it is the varnish that does.

This would also help to save up on pigment, considering the depth of those cutouts.

Here is my reference pic:

prealumeto1.jpg

First time I have had these in house for lume.

Done in the same way as the genuine ones, with my custom lume mix.

Filled each cutout with the lume and brought it up on the inner edges as was done on the genuine ones. Once dry I applied clear varnish over each numeral and then clear coated the entire dial.

I thought that sandwich dials consumed a lot of lume, each of these dials takes 2X as much lume as any sandwich dial I have done...

Thanks for looking.

RG

The Zigmeister - these look fantastic. If you are allow to tell - where did these dials come from?

Edited by Stephane
Removed the quoted photos :)

Hi all,

This is my unlumed DSN 201A dial. I bought a completed one from DSN but it had a lot of lume on the dial face itself so I wanted to start from scratch.

The Zigmeister that is unbelievable work as always I can't wait to see it in person!

Very nice work Ziggy,

You need to move to Scotland, great biking roads & I'm sure there's a few Pam's of mine that could keep you busy for a few days :D

I'm sure you meant move to Belgium :D

Amazing work! Can't stop to say it. How the hell can a human hand be so precise!!!

I wish I could cross the road and have a look at your work and bench :)

I would shut up and not disturb promised...

@ ssurfer

I used those exact pictures for my reference when I lumed them.

Problem is the pictures don't show how the lume is sitting in the cutouts. I did as in your picture the left hand top one, but even so it took up a lot of lume.

I will adjust the exposure and take some pics which shows the lume and how it's sitting inside the bathtub and up on the sides.

I have done three of these and think I have a good process to do them now.

After I put the lume down and it dried, I placed varnish over the top and then clear coated the dial over everything.

kyelin's pictures are what mine looks like, just the exposure of the camera makes the lume look flat, it isn't, it caved in like it should be.

I'll get something up later, at the GF's now :)

RG

@ Stephane and Mikerblade.

I will be landing in Paris in less than a month...for 3 weeks.

This year I am going to do the tourist thing, but I have been thinking of next year's trip and maybe bringing my lume kit with me...and spending some time doing lume while in the EU.

Something to think about...

RG

@ Stephane and Mikerblade.

I will be landing in Paris in less than a month...for 3 weeks.

This year I am going to do the tourist thing, but I have been thinking of next year's trip and maybe bringing my lume kit with me...and spending some time doing lume while in the EU.

Something to think about...

RG

Wow, that is great news Ziggy.

I'll contact you soon :)

Looks very nice Rob.

I have a steady hand but this is VERY precisely done....

@ Stefane and Rob......wouldn't it be nice to have GTG francaise in Paris?

Sure. Paris is a great city.

It could be at my place too by the way.

As I said to all of you guys, you are allways welcome in Brussels of course.

Thanks for your reply and new pics, Rob. I would have bet that you already took that reference pic in consideration.

Just, I am now a little confused. To my eyes, the lume in the new pics looks almost like that in the right hand top and left hand middle of the reference pic, am I wrong?

So, do they all get a similar look once applied, in spite of the differences in the way they are applied?

Thanks for your reply and new pics, Rob. I would have bet that you already took that reference pic in consideration.

Just, I am now a little confused. To my eyes, the lume in the new pics looks almost like that in the right hand top and left hand middle of the reference pic, am I wrong?

So, do they all get a similar look once applied, in spite of the differences in the way they are applied?

You are correct, when I am finished the lume does look more like the right hand picture in the reference.

I am not sure how they coated the sides of the cutouts and the bottom with only a small amount of lume. Since I am doing this by hand, the only way I can apply the lume is to do what you see in the pictures.

You have to also consider that as soon as you apply the first drop of lume, you have about 30 seconds to a minute to finish it all. The lume starts to dry and get difficult to move after it's put down. So what I do is fill each cutout, and as I do I pull the lume up to coat the sides, and since the lume shrinks as it dries, once it's dry it sinks down and looks like it should look.

It's never easy to do the same thing as the factory did, especially when it's done by hand and not a machine.

RG

Thanks once again for your reply, Rob. Now it is clear.

I only managed to relume a few sandwich dials so far (apart for a few sausage test dials that I ruined, and a DSN 104 dial where I only slightly enlonged the short marker @9Hr), so I am completely naive about reluming sausage and especially cutout dials.

So, thanks for your input too.