When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where most replica movements come from

Pugwash

This post is possibly of limited use, but all of us watchgeeks and rephounds should find it interesting in the least. This information is by no means hard to come by, and I believe other before me have presented you the information, but here, upon those giants' shoulders, is a collation of all the pictures in an easy-to-digest format.

Where do replica movements come from?

I think it would be safe to say "Tianjin Seagull" in most cases. If you look at the TY-2846 version of the ST16, for instance, you'll see a familiar-looking GMT movement. The TY-2806 ST16 looks like that familiar Asian 21j.

84420-29694.jpg

Without any further ado, here's the stuff: Pugwash's Seagull Library

If any real experts, as opposed to a geek-with-google (me), wish to comment, I'd love to hear from you all on this subject.

Gran actually did a big write up on this a while back (on the old board?), but from what I see this does not mean we can get cheap replacement movements, so as you say it's for our geek interest value :lol:

Ken

Hey not trying to take away from you Puggy.........good work :thumbsupsmileyanim: .........all I'm saying was when Gran posted about it I spent some time looking it over to see (1) If we can pick up cheap changeover movements and (2) If it would lead me to the better 7750 etc........struck out both times :wounded1:

Ken

Yes .. and I like this post ..

Chinese Skeletons .. a rough guide :

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=5562

WOW ... now you know where our reps are coming from :)

below is directly from the link above .. (PICs available .. follow the link)

Chinese skeletons - a rough guide

There's quite a few types of skeleton movement being currently produced in China. here are all the ones that I could think of:

Standard movement

Made in Nanning and designated NN9500, it is surely being made in other factories too. I would guess that Liaoning probably make one. International spare parts catalogues call it CHI-2650S. They're extremely common and quality is usually low.

SS5 variant

A mid-sized movement, originally made by Shanghai Watch Factory. I don't know who is making the skeleton versions.

Hangzhou

Another common one with the internet brands. Based on an old Seiko design. Accurate, but sometimes fragile. Also available with 3 or 4 sub-dials.

Now for the high-grade stuff

Sea-Gull ST17

A fairly radical skeleton cut of Sea-Gull's popular ST17. Available in hand-wind or automatic.

PTS Resources tourbillon

China's first skeleton tourbillon. Cool, eh?

Sea-Gull ST19

Not to be outdone, Sea-Gull have skeletonized their ST19 column-wheel chronograph

Sea-Gull ST80 tourbillon

and best of all, they've taken their best movement ever and turned it into China's most elegant skeleton ever

Edited by SmoothOperator

Who is this guy?..............does he just google his info or does he know it first hand?

Ken

I don't know, but it's great to have hime here. Maybe he can tell us if:

-- a functional moonphase is in the works?

-- ditto for a center tourbillon

-- it's possible to get our hands one of the big date @ 12:00 movements.

I'm just linking to the guys posts .. he is a Moderator on WUS.

Anyway .. a chinese member of WUS who lives in Beijing, went to the Tianjin (Sea-Gull) Factory and wrote a small reveiw .. (for Pics .. follow the link) http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=13656

Tianjin Seagull Factory Visit - 21st MAY, 2006

I drove from Beijing to Tianjin today with a couple of friends. While we were there, we visited the Seagull watch factory in hopes of finding a 1963 Chronograph re-issue. The factory is in the southwestern section of Tianjin.

The sales office is open on Saturdays until 4pm. We were met by one of the sales managers and shown the collection in the showroom. We saw the Tourbillon model (list price ¥19,000), along with some other nice models.

The manager told us that they are not focusing on retail locations in China because they don't make much money due to the heavy discounts. They've done a few promotional sales events in Beijing stores, but these promotions come and go. Unfortunately, they didn't have a 1963 Chronograph, so I decided on their thinnest automatic watch. This watch houses the Seagull ST-18 movement (automatic, sweep second, date @ 3). The factory showroom will give a 50% discount off list price. If you buy more than one you should be able to negotiate a little further.

They told me that they manufacture all components for their watches at this location (except for the straps). The employees are all trained in-house.

I spoke with them about their new developments - they've completed a repeater, and will have their minute repeater development finished in three months (so about AUGUST).

I've attached a few pictures, but one of my friends took higher quality pictures that I'll post later.

- Jon

This is what I found the most interesting quote "The factory showroom will give a 50% discount off list price. If you buy more than one you should be able to negotiate a little further"

:group:

Edited by SmoothOperator

The standard seagull movements are readily available from the likes of Ofrei and Cousins in the UK, however still haven't found a source for any of the more complicated ones (venus in particular)

Exactly. The big date at 12 opens up a world of possibilities and so does the functioning center tourbillon (pop one of those babied in a faux tourbillon rep, which BTW, often use the seagull auto movement w/ nearly identical dimensions). The tourby seems to be, by several times, their most expensive movment, @about $1000 by the time it gets to the made-up brands on ebay.

picking up a few higher end seagull movements could be an interesting side line for our dealers who make regular trips to china...