When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first major project

mastergod

Hi all. Posting some pics of my first major (from scratch) project.

The case will be a PVD DSN 6154 with thick caseback. As for the movement, I'm struggling like a broke [censored] dog to find someone who can convert a tuning fork 218 into GMT movement for 24 hour function. Either that or 28,800 gmt movement. With a secs hand this big (its a cut-down boiler's-dial-needle stretching almost across the entire dial) a super smooth movement is mandatory...The hour/mins hands are modified omega date indicators. Seconds to be engraved into rehaut and superlumed.

The dial is based loosely on a the outer are of a speedmaster dial (mins/secs/subsecs indexes). It also relates to vintage Fliegers I guess. But the thing that makes this project an "instrument" rather that a "watch" is IMO its reference to professional military skydiving altimeters (top middle set on pic)! The only thing a watch ever does is repeat itself, so it isn

post-2870-1220955150_thumb.jpg

post-2870-1220955164_thumb.jpg

post-2870-1220976497_thumb.jpg

post-2870-1220986410_thumb.jpg

:o Oh hell yes!!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That is going to look awesome

Is the dial too busy?

I'd say no. Busy, yes, not too busy though. Afterall, a wrist instroment like you've got in mind would have to have things like minute indices. Afterall, one would not want one's air tanks running low while on a space walk or lunar hike... I'd say the dial is 'functional'. It's designed as a wrist instroment, not just a watch, so functionality would be a requirement :)

I'm not sure if you'd considered a strap for it, but I'd suggest a worn nylon one, similar to the MoonWatch straps, as that would enable it to be worn over a pressure suit, or a flight jumpsuit :) I cannot wait to see the finished project, I know it is going to be awesome, I definitely think it harkens back to the era of 'optimistic space exploration', such as 2001: Space Odyssey, and Space:1999 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Oh, about the movement... Might this be of help?

:o Oh hell yes!!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That is going to look awesome

Is the dial too busy?

I'd say no. Busy, yes, not too busy though. Afterall, a wrist instroment like you've got in mind would have to have things like minute indices. Afterall, one would not want one's air tanks running low while on a space walk or lunar hike... I'd say the dial is 'functional'. It's designed as a wrist instroment, not just a watch, so functionality would be a requirement :)

I'm not sure if you'd considered a strap for it, but I'd suggest a worn nylon one, similar to the MoonWatch straps, as that would enable it to be worn over a pressure suit, or a flight jumpsuit :) I cannot wait to see the finished project, I know it is going to be awesome, I definitely think it harkens back to the era of 'optimistic space exploration', such as 2001: Space Odyssey, and Space:1999 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Oh, about the movement... Might this be of help?

Thanks.

Strap: Largely agree with your NASA idea. Thought I

post-2870-1220979644_thumb.jpg

The results are bound to come. However it may take some time. As you know, the queues to lume etc are long.

Will post all progress here. A message to (all) the grumpy old men on RWG (you know who you are) and sober Germanian perfectionists (you know who you are, don

Was that link to the 029 sale of any help with regards the movement?

Yes it was.

The 029 would probably ease the burden on the watchsmith, besides its a fast beat. Its a good idea, maybe the answer.

However I guess all RWG people are nerds in some way :rolleyes: and everybody knows that the "heart" of the watch is the movement. Some guy on this forum, I

Yes it was.

The 029 would probably ease the burden on the watchsmith, besides its a fast beat. Its a good idea, maybe the answer.

However I guess all RWG people are nerds in some way :rolleyes: and everybody knows that the "heart" of the watch is the movement. Some guy on this forum, I