When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

starting toolkit

docdoc

Hello,

I would like to buy some tools to start modding and maybe try to service my first movement (and certainly screw it!!!).

I looked around and found some lists and here is what I am supposed to buy:

Movement holder such as the Bergeon No 4040,

dust blower,

screwdriver set with nine sizes (0.5 to 2.6 mm),

#2 tweezers,

#5 tweezers,

4X and 10x loupe, or Optivisor

one headband

covered compartment parts trays,

2mm pegwood bundle,

Pithwood buttons,

Rodico cleaning putty,

Movement cover, and movement tray

Box of watch paper.

Pin Vise,

Caseback Wrench,

Case vise,

Hand setting tool,

Hand remover (Presto #6 recommended or #6 and #1),

Stem Cutting Pliers.

glass press (to send my glass to 2AR), Could you recommend me a press that will be ok for a SMP glass but also for large one like a Pam 177H or a UPO?

Could you tell me from your experience if some things are not essential, some are missing?

thanks in advance

Call me eccentric but I think no toolset is complete without a few essentials: a good chainsaw, a double-bit axe, a pike, a 50-gal compressor and a good nail gun.

;-)

Seriously, I admire your desire to dig in. It will make the hobby that much richer for you. Enjoy!

PS: as mjmurphy says, you will never regret the money you spend on good tools.

...and spare movements. Ideally, get one of the one you are working on so you can see a reference for what things should look like...and even a third to act as a donor for the screws you will lose. :)

A high power magnet for sweeping for dropped parts is good too. It won't get some of them due to the metal used...but the screws should be alright. And...take pictures of every phase so you can see what things should look like.

docdoc,

I am a bit of a tool "freak", and think your list is close to a starting point. Maybe you need to think about oilers, if you are going to try to service, and also about a method of cleaning and drying parts.

I concur with those who talk about quality items.... let the degree of quality reflect the level of useage..ie drivers.. get the best available, especially the blades! Movement and case holders are essential, but you don't need to pony up big $$.

Can I suggest you try to slowly build your item needs, rather than rushing off and buying all at once?

There are some great pickups from time to time on the 'bay.

If you really want to start with a good kit, the TZ one is a reasonable compromise, or you can get some cheaper items with the kit from PMWF, and "flesh" them out as needs be.

Originally I grabbed one of the ebay $15.95 kits, and still use a couple of items from it today.

I then got the PMWF kit, from which some items have proven useful.

For mine, go with the Optivisor concept, I have one, and also a magnifying light, (just can't really get used to loupes)

I also recently purchased a stereo microscope, which opens up a whole new world!

Be selective, build your kit, and hopefully avoid too many dud purchases.

Oh and get a driver sharpener, and use it regularly, ( I inspect and touch up my drivers every other work session)

Offshore

Duct tape, Rope, hacksaw, bag of lime....wait wrong tools :huh:

Bunny suit (the sort you get when the police take your cloths) shovel, disinfectant, chain and concreat blocks, dont forget a big knife to ensure gas build up can escape over time, industrial bin bags, mate with a furnace !