When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake sub?

JoJo35

Guest carlsbadrolex

Take a look at the 1680 engraving....

YEAH RIGHT, I could do a better 680 with a $15 engraving tool from the hard ware store.

The first few numbers in the serial number look strange also.

I dont know about if its gen or not... but it sure has been played with.

Dial looks correct at least.

That's what I thought. Lots of expensive stuff on this watch; however, I agree with others that the stampings look shaky at best. The bracelet is ridiculous too. Like a gen enthusiast friend once said, "If you find one thing wrong, chances are you'll find something else, and then another, etc"

Oh I'd eat a broom with stick if that's a fake... certainly a gen case - and the caseback "engraving" is correctly stamped as it should be. A bracelet with one 78360 half is nothing special - I have seen first owner watches with 9315 clasp and 7836 links.

I see you talk about the lug engraving. Indeed, it looks odd - but the font of the lug writing and numbers is correct for a 3Mil case...

There's no doubt that there are some correct parts here... But there are some that don't seem right as well.

My thoughts, after looking at this one is that it's either a poorly restored piece, or maybe one that was put together. The lug engraving looks terrible, however.

With vintages, it's always difficult to say for certain what a watch has seen in it's history and lifetime. This is why provenance is so important for collectors, and why pieces lacking sell for less. Of course, no B&P or service history on this one, I see.

I think the thing that I'd question the most is why the seller is claiming 'all original' when clearly it is not. Not with that crystal (wrong profile) and bracelet mismatch...

Well, your statement just sounded a bit like it was a fake crystal. Understood it now... anyway - interesting you point out that the large bevel is an earlier production. European quotes are always like one should go for the small bevel - as it is the old style. I must admit though, that I have seen a small beveled 127 in a new Rolex packaging (PET bag with green writing).

Edit: If we are discussing all-originial state here - it doesn't make sense as there is something not 100% about this watch - even though it is highly overpriced. The dial is nice though - and worse a couple of Thousands alone...

Agreed, though I bring up the 'All Original' issue as that is what the seller has stated on his auction. Now, the term can be interpreted in several ways; for me, all original means just that- All parts on the watch are as it came when new- No replacements. However, someone else's opinion on it might be 'all original Rolex parts'; e.g. no aftermarket parts fitted, but replacement parts are okay since it's all genuine.

In my opinion, and this is my standpoint for vintage Rolex examples, a watch stated as all original should be just that; if it's not (and clearly this watch isn't), then it's misrepresented. With that said, I have to wonder what else is not as it would seem :)

Yes, I know... It's a matter of semantics. But that's how I interpreted it.

You are totally right - "all original" should definitely mean that is is in a state of 100% delivery type parts. This one definitely isn't - but it probably is an original watch - with no fake stuff fitted... even though - a crystal is a two sided thing - I guess there is no such thing that is replaced as often as a crystal - this happens during each and every service. A Tritium insert - I understand - it is mucho $$$ - but a crystal? You can still get these 127's for a good price - and the 39 Superdomes came down too (or are stable).

The best ones with "all originals" are those rare bees that come with original sales bill and all the returned spare parts from the service - you see these from time to time, but they are rare - and they have one more thing in common - a huge price tag.

Yes indeed, kind sir :)

Provenance is key! And folks who are seriously looking for a full meal deal watch (full B&P, service history papers, and an even bigger plus for returned old parts) end up paying the premium for such pieces, though the peace of mind is usually worth it for such examples. Those are the vault queens :)

That said, I think the watch in question here is far from it's €14,000 price tag...