When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Newbie

W. N. Mates

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, although I've been lurking for a few weeks, and must say I'm impressed with the apparent quality of some of the replicas you can get nowadays, and especially with the work of some of the Forum members - amazing. I've been fascinated with mechanical watches for years now, and if I were a Millionaire, I'm sure I'd have hundreds, but if it's the choice between paying the bills and buying an IWC Navitimer, I have to pay the bills first! Like many of us, I have a few questions, and if anyone who reads this post is kind enough to answer them, I'd be very grateful:

- How do you know if a site says the watch has a 'genuine Swiss ETA movement' it really has?

- Which are the best sellers of high quality replicas (I'm in Europe, and would prefer no Customs hassles if possible)?

- Are any of the Forum members also builders/modifiers/sellers of watches?

I really like the Bell & Ross 42mm steel BRO3-92 at the moment, but the quality I've seen in the small number I've managed to look at isn't too good, and the accuracy is awful. Any ideas where to get a good one (I am already lusting after Avitt's DLC mod!)?

Thanks for taking the time to read this short introduction, and thanks for having me on the Forum. B)

Billy

Hi Billy,

Will try to answer some of your queries.

1 You don't. You can only go on the sellers reputation. Most here give relatively honest descriptions, however even some of our older members have a problem defining if an ETA is "Swiss" or "Asian" It probably depends on a specific model, so check the reviews on a particular watch in which you have interest. Most sellers/sites, who aren't from these parts, are more than probably "gilding the lily" when it comes to calling a movement.. "Swiss"

2 Our collector here, Eurotimez, has been getting some good reviews...again, read, digest, and come to your own conclusions.

3. There are certainly many members who either carry out their own mods, or in a few cases, offer these services.

We always caution newcomers in regards to modding services, as sometimes the offered, and received works have different and varying levels of acceptance to the modder and the client. Be very confident, that the arrangement you are entering in to, is to your satisfaction!!

Re the B & R... I will let some of our B & R experts chime in on this one.

Hope your stay is enjoyable, you have certainly found the right place to get all the info you need.

Offshore

first off, welcome to RWG ;)

i have one of these b&r 03-92s and off the top of my head i believe it is a little thicker than the genuine, the screws aren't exactly in the right place on the dial, and the dial print is maybe not exactly the same, but these things don't bother me one bit (only a b&r enthusiast would notice this stuff) and it is good price for a fun, different watch.

hope this helps :victory:

deltatahoe