When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please help me decide... maybe too flashy

Moze

Hey guys! This will be my 4th quality rep purchase, and I've decided that I would like to get a Rolex.

Beyond that, I'm really digging a silver colored (SS or WG) band, white face and some sort of diamonds (CZs). I have been looking at the DateJusts because even though I do appreciate and like more 'complex' watches with more bells and whistles like chrono functions, I figure there is a correlation between the number of features a watch has and its likelihood for something to go wrong.

I've found two different models that really strike my interest, but there are certain things about each of them that are stopping me from making a decision and buying one...

First pick: Rolex SS White Jubillee Dial w/ diamond markers and swiss eta 2836 movement

4.jpg

What I like:

I really like the 'busyness' of the dial, it seems quite different from my other watches and sometimes its good to have some uniqueness. It has the white color dial I was looking for with diamonds, and I also feel that it doesnt go over the top with the diamonds. Very subtle, yet has a nice amount of flash at the same time. I like the contrast of the silver band, textured silver bezel, white face and CZ accents.

Second pick: Rolex SS case, Diamond bezel with red ruby accents. Swiss 2836-2 movement

11.jpg

What I like:

OK, so I'm not sure what exactly strikes me such much with this watch. It has the SS band, white face and diamonds... But at the same time, it is very very flashy. I have only seen a few watches with the full diamond encrusted bezel that I like, and I think this may be one of them. I think the rubys on the white face, surrounded by silver and diamonds provides sort of a classy yet flashy look. However, I'm really worrying that this may be just way too over the top.

What do you guys think? Any opinions on the two models on which you prefer, which is a better rep, etc? Is the second one just WAY too flashy? I am not so much worried about getting called out. While I am a college student, I do fairly fit the profile enough to not get called out in my college town w/ my job, car, etc. I'm more worried that once I get it, it will just be TOO MUCH for myself. That I may have doubts about having so much flash.

Enough rambling from me -- any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

moze,

I'm also a college student as well, and Id say the second one is way too much for our age. The first one is luxurious yet subtle, which doesnt scream out "hey look at my blinged out watch"

Id personally not go for either of them tho, im not into the whole diamonds on the watch thing

why dont you settle for a nice submariner rep?

ps: is that your car in your avatar, and is it an amg?? :drive1:

I don't know about you, but a college student with a DateJust is just weird. DateJusts/Presidents are for old men. Get a steel sports rolex! (Sub, SD...)

I'd like to add that being in your early twenties makes it hard to join the rep scene. Because we are buying reps of > $2000 watches, the believability factor is a different game than if we were in our thirties (stable job that you should have moved up in by then). I bought a used gen Speedy Pro last year for $1500. It still is the biggest purchase on an item (things like tuition notwithstanding). It was a luxury purchase, and I still love it. However, I sometimes feel self conscious about wearing a multi-thousand dollar watch, but it's offset by the fact that the Speedy Pro does not LOOK like a super expensive watch. It's a classic known by all WIS, but your everyday Joe will look at the matte black dial, simple baton hands, non-applied indices, and strange tachy bezel, and not think of it again, unless they catch the "Omega" on the dial.

The game changes with Rolex. Everyone knows what a Sub looks like, and it is perhaps the definitive Rolex watch (besides the Day-Date, but Subs are far more common). I actually have a noobmariner (back to the dealer for problems...), and I got it just to see what all the fuss was about. Let's be honest here, it's a handsome watch, but I don't think I can live with all the baggage that comes with it. I also would especially hate dealing with the "is it real?" questions that will undoubtedly arise considering I'm so young and in college. However, I love the classic looks of it and it's not too flashy (the bezel does catch the light, though). When I get it back, I won't be wearing it in public. I pretty much got it just to have in my collection.

The DateJust, however, is in a different league of watch than the Sub. It's a pure dress watch. However, I have heard that DJ's are Rolex's best selling model, and for good reason, because when people buy a Rolex, they just want a luxury watch that looks the part. A Sub, to the non WIS, does not. Personally, the conservative looks of the DJ do not appeal to me (I'd rather have the Aqua Terra, or maybe some day, the looks of a nice Calatrava).

But again, I have an IWC 3717. No one my age knows what an IWC is. Hell, most people of any age don't know what an IWC is. This solves a few things: 1. No one will call me out because no one knows what it is. 2. The rep is almost perfect, so even if they do, they won't call me out. (still got to get double AR + DW swap). Very few people know that the 3717 costs about as much as a steel Rolex sports watch. I love the looks of it, though.

I have a strange collection as of right now. Gen speedy pro, rep 3717, noobmariner, Seiko SKX007, Orient Blue Mako. I wanted a few gens that looked nice (or were very tool-watchy) that were easily within reach and that I would never have to worry or feel self conscious about. (If you haven't tried out the blue mako, I highly highly recommend it. For 1/3 the price of a super rep, you can have a beauty of watch. Seriously, have you felt the bracelet on one of them? The shimmering blue dial? The applied markers with excellent lume?)

Anyway, I'm still just waiting for a good Bond SMP to come out to round out my collection. I really don't lust after many other watches (I'd trade in my 3717 for a Mark XVI if it ever gets repped).

Finally, to answer your question: of the two watches, the first is more tasteful and fitting for a college student, if a DateJust with fluted bezel can be "fitting" for someone in his early 20s. However, it is a bit too flashy for my tastes, but then again I don't drive a SLK55 AMG.

I would not call you out if you stepped out of that car with a DJ on your wrist.

Unless you want to advertise the fact that you are wearing a fake Rolex, I would nix the idea of getting any watch with 'jewels'. The 'jewels' look fake & unless you are living extremely LARGE, these watches would stick out like a sore thumb (or like you were wearing a mink cape & carrying a diamond-studded walking stick, if you get my gist). Now, if that IS your style, then, by all means, I would go for 1. But, if not, trust me, you will be much happier in the long run if you get either watch without the 'jewels'.

You guys all make a good point. I started comparing similar watches with and without the jewels... I've decide to go without. Thank you for saving me from potential buyer's remorse.

I'm hovering on this one right now:

4.jpg

So far, I currently have:

IWC Spitfire chrono w/ double sided AR and black croc strap

Omega Speedmaster Legend Michael Schumacher

Omega UPO

So I guess the reason I'm not looking at Subs is that I'm trying to sort of bridge the gap between super huge sporty metal watches and ultra classy dressy watches. I'm hoping this watch would be a good pick for that.

Thanks so much for the advice, keep it comin'!

ps: is that your car in your avatar, and is it an amg?? :drive1:

Its an SL55 amg... I wish. Not mine, a dream car of mine. :D I'm rolling an 07 bmw 335i and an 03 merc G55 at the moment.

Edited by Moze

Rubies on a mens watch? No!!! Dude, stop right there! In my country, Rubies are considered low... as in bad taste, however the diamond markers are just fine [if you actually do like them].. I would go for a nice Roman marker DJ or Diamond markers with a Black MOP dial. Remember, less is more! :)

BTW Go with Ruby on the Date-Just, she's much more reliable, prices are way better at $189 shipped for a SS and she can make you any Date-Just [or DD] you want, read this:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=23632

"I'm rolling an 07 bmw 335i and an 03 merc G55 at the moment"

haha thats pretty damn impressive for a college kid...the chicks must be all over you lol

and btw, I see you listed that you have the UPO...im waiting for mine in the mail, and i have a few questions:

where did you get it, how much, what movement, and most importantly, how do you like it? is it too big for your wrists?

and if your into omegas and want something classy (which is what im also looking for in my next gen) look at the aqua terras, theres one on sale on the forums, pretty damn good rep, identical to the gen, so check it out

but if you want a rolo than id say jump on that datejust you showed us (minus the bling of course)

For a young guy I would avoid the Rolex watches that are "dolled" up with diamonds etc. WAY too flashy a watch and an obvious fake. My FIRST rep was a day/date, black dial with diamond dial and bezel and although not a bad rep I never wear it. If I were you I would buy a nice sub....perhaps the one now being offered by PT (modern) OR perhaps the No date sub now being offered by Eurotimz. The No date is a vintage piece but so very well made....a real masterpiece.

For a young guy I would avoid the Rolex watches that are "dolled" up with diamonds etc. WAY too flashy a watch and an obvious fake. My FIRST rep was a day/date, black dial with diamond dial and bezel and although not a bad rep I never wear it. If I were you I would buy a nice sub....perhaps the one now being offered by PT (modern) OR perhaps the No date sub now being offered by Eurotimz. The No date is a vintage piece but so very well made....a real masterpiece.

Not entirely true, it all depends on the appearance you give, for example if you're dressed like these guys, no one will believe you [however, it also depends on the watch, a fully iced Rolex is not only of bad taste, but that one will be an obvious fake!]:

dsc01290tg2.jpg51.JPG

But if you dress properly, and give a good image then you have nothing to worry about. B)

I personally don't like diamonds on mens watches, well, on most of them at least, this is perhaps the only way I like diamonds on a watch, and that's ONLY on the dial with baguette diamonds at 9 & 6, subtle and not too flashy:

368.jpg