When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

42mm Planet Ocean ?

JimmyT

Hi there,

I've been in talks with Joshua @ joshwatch.com about the exact same watch. I only have a 7.5 inch wrist and have been shying away from the highly recommended 45 OP. Link --> http://www.joshwatch.com/omega-seamaster-c-58_62.html will take you to the watches that joshua listed lately (only 2 days ago). OMSE10009... 10... 11 are the ones you're after. They have the swiss Eta movement with AR coating etc. Goodluck with it all ;)

Hi TogMatty,

I've had trouble getting on today......has the site been down ??

Thanks for the tip, I'll junp onto that link and see what Joshua has there. I HATE buyers remorse ! I would hate to compromise on price and refret it later. I think when the Noob Mariner I ordered from Chris arrives I'll check the piggy bank and pull the trigger on a 4th gen 42mm PO. What the hay - we're here for a good time...not a long time" !

chers from Oz

Jim T

Hi TogMatty,

I've had trouble getting on today......has the site been down ??

Thanks for the tip, I'll junp onto that link and see what Joshua has there. I HATE buyers remorse ! I would hate to compromise on price and refret it later. I think when the Noob Mariner I ordered from Chris arrives I'll check the piggy bank and pull the trigger on a 4th gen 42mm PO. What the hay - we're here for a good time...not a long time" !

chers from Oz

Jim T

Hey again TogMatty,

I just read my last message I'm sorry 'bout the typo's .......long day and I'm trying to type too fast.

cheers

Jim T

Hey again TogMatty,

I just read my last message I'm sorry 'bout the typo's .......long day and I'm trying to type too fast.

cheers

Jim T

G'day Jimmy (i'm an ozzie too :1a: )

From what i have gathered from both collectors and RWG reviews is that the 45 UPO is a much better repn with its finer details. BUT if you are not hung up on optaining a 1:1 rep then go for the 4th gen 42 with swiss Eta.

As for me, i was trying to decide between the SMP, 4th 42 PO & 45 UPO... so i decided to go into a local AD and try on all 3. As i said before i was a little shy towards the 45 until i tried it on. I've got to say that the 45 is an impressing watch and has a hell of a lot of presence and now i'm converted. Its the 45 UPO for me. B)

Good luck, bro

G'day Jimmy (i'm an ozzie too :1a: )

From what i have gathered from both collectors and RWG reviews is that the 45 UPO is a much better repn with its finer details. BUT if you are not hung up on optaining a 1:1 rep then go for the 4th gen 42 with swiss Eta.

As for me, i was trying to decide between the SMP, 4th 42 PO & 45 UPO... so i decided to go into a local AD and try on all 3. As i said before i was a little shy towards the 45 until i tried it on. I've got to say that the 45 is an impressing watch and has a hell of a lot of presence and now i'm converted. Its the 45 UPO for me. B)

Good luck, bro

G'day Tag',

Glad to have another Aussie in here. I do believe the 45 is probably a better thing but as i may have mentioned I bought a Genuine Seamaster Pro 2254.50 in Black/Black and evenat 40mm ex crown it is a big watch on me.

I just have this thing for the 4th gen PO @ 42mm.

I'm nearly 5'11" in the old scale but I don't have a huge wrist. I just might do the same and go into Watches of Switerland where I bought the SMP, they know mw in there and try on the while bunch like you.

I've attached a few pics of my beloved Gen 2254 but at $2K (50th Birthday pres to myself) it's reps from here on.

(the one on the black pillow is from another site)

Cheers & beers from Melbourne

Jim

post-16348-1222002685_thumb.jpg

post-16348-1222002697_thumb.jpg

post-16348-1222002718_thumb.jpg

post-16348-1222002733_thumb.jpg

Edited by JimmyT

G'day Tag',

Glad to have another Aussie in here. I do believe the 45 is probably a better thing but as i may have mentioned I bought a Genuine Seamaster Pro 2254.50 in Black/Black and evenat 40mm ex crown it is a big watch on me.

I just have this thing for the 4th gen PO @ 42mm.

I'm nearly 5'11" in the old scale but I don't have a huge wrist. I just might do the same and go into Watches of Switerland where I bought the SMP, they know mw in there and try on the while bunch like you.

I've attached a few pics of my beloved Gen 2254 but at $2K (50th Birthday pres to myself) it's reps from here on.

(the one on the black pillow is from another site)

Cheers & beers from Melbourne

Jim

Hey TagMatty,

do you think I'm nuts! I've just been looking at my wrist with the Gen 2254 onit and it's beautiful.....what am I thinking.

I've already ordered a NoobMariner from Chris at Eurotimez. Maybe I should be looking at some thing really different.

There's some beautiful Lange & Sohne watches and stuff like that.

Have you been happy with your 4th gen you got from Paul?

My wife thinks I'm crazy but she has a ton of shoes and handbags and all that girly stuff.

I just don't know nut I always have loved Omegas since I was a kid.

cheers

Jim

Keep in mind guys that the gen 42MM and 45.5MM PO's use the same ETA 2892 base plate. The datewheel position is determined by the movement, not the watch case. So since the 45.5MM is a wider case, the datewheel is going to be closer to the center of the watch on both the reps and the gen. The 2824 used in the reps has the same diameter as the 2892, although it is considerably thicker. Agreed it is a bit further left on the rep, but again, so is the gen to a slightly lesser degree and of course the rep uses a different movement than the gen was designed around. Back to the same question we keep asking which is why don't the factories use the Seagull 2892 sometimes...

Jim, Did you find a passable 42 PO? I've yet to see a decent one. The 45 is one big boy, I seem to find the date wheel is way too far over as the glaring fault on them. Have you seen any good 42s?

3.jpg

Keep in mind guys that the gen 42MM and 45.5MM PO's use the same ETA 2892 base plate. The datewheel position is determined by the movement, not the watch case. So since the 45.5MM is a wider case, the datewheel is going to be closer to the center of the watch on both the reps and the gen. The 2824 used in the reps has the same diameter as the 2892, although it is considerably thicker. Agreed it is a bit further left on the rep, but again, so is the gen to a slightly lesser degree and of course the rep uses a different movement than the gen was designed around. Back to the same question we keep asking which is why don't the factories use the Seagull 2892 sometimes...

Robbie, that's the 42 in the pic I posted, the 45 date is much nearer to the original one I thought, I'd really like a good 42 though! I've yet to see one. Usual probs, the date as above and the hand are always so short compared to the original

Hmmm.....are you sure the dealer didn't mix the pics up? It really is impossible. If two PO's use the same movement, Asian or ETA, the larger of the two will have a date wheel closer to the center of the dial. The 45.5MM simply has more "case" added to the outside of the movement circumference and a larger spacer in the case. Just keep in mind, the movement doesn't move off the center, so a smaller dial will have an edge closer to the DW and a larger dial will have an edge further away from the DW. Here is my gen 42MM (the pic with the lume) and a known rep 45MM along with another pic that shows the movement holder/spacer on a 45.5MM rep for comparision. As you can see on a 42MM watch the spacer will be narrower therefore bringing the whole movement (and thus the datewheel) closer to the edge of the case. If the dealer says that pic you posted is the 42MM I think he is mistaken...

DSCN2536.jpg

DSCN2553.jpg

PO18.jpg

Robbie, that's the 42 in the pic I posted, the 45 date is much nearer to the original one I thought, I'd really like a good 42 though! I've yet to see one. Usual probs, the date as above and the hand are always so short compared to the original

have a look here Jam,

Josh's site:

http://www.joshwatch.com/omega-seamaster-c-58_62.html

Numbers OMSE10009 Seamaster Planet Ocean 42.5mm Black Bezel Eta 2824-2 t

to OMSE10011 Seamaster Planet Ocean 42.5mm Black Bezel Eta 2824-2

One of these is going to my next buy in 42mm - my wrist just can't handle a 45

Let me know how you go

Jim (Jimmy T)

Jim, Did you find a passable 42 PO? I've yet to see a decent one. The 45 is one big boy, I seem to find the date wheel is way too far over as the glaring fault on them. Have you seen any good 42s?

3.jpg

Jam,

more in here : http://www.cqout.com/list.asp?andor=&seller=&k=Omega+Planet+Ocean&k2=&kc=&k_e=&k_d=&rw=100&c=12&s=30&o=item&oa=asc&f=cur&p=1&g=

Here's another Black/Black PO in 42mm: http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=4057292

Hope it helps you.

Jim (Jimmy T)

Melbourne Australia

post-16348-1222174745_thumb.png

Interesting, Thanks Jim, I do like that and the date isn't too far over, So the 42mm, aren't the Utlimates are they? Do we know what the difference is? Which one you going for, black or red?

Robbie, that pic is listed as a 42 yep, but obviously what you are saying makes a lot of sense, and chances are they've used a diff pic?

http://www.rolex2u.com/omega-seamaster-pla...tch--20673.html

Interesting, Thanks Jim, I do like that and the date isn't too far over, So the 42mm, aren't the Utlimates are they? Do we know what the difference is? Which one you going for, black or red?

Robbie, that pic is listed as a 42 yep, but obviously what you are saying makes a lot of sense, and chances are they've used a diff pic?

http://www.rolex2u.com/omega-seamaster-pla...tch--20673.html

Hi Jam,

I'm going for the Black 42 with Black Dial/Bezel & white numbers.

The newies can come with Black Dial/Bezel and Orange numbers.

Sometime I get crazy and feel like having fun and ordering an all out Orange P.O - Dial, Bezel, but Not the band.

I'm a S.S. kinda bracelet guy.

cheers

Jim

Yeh, I would stick with all black and white. Robbie's gen in lume shot is a beaut. Always shows up great in pics that watch, When you see it in the flesh, not taking anything away from it, but it never looks as good as it does in shots.

The pearl on the 42s are always a bit lousy on the reps.