When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SOS Situation! I ruined my Euromariner?

im2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@tribal: typical inconsistency in reps. But we know why and how to fix it if you unluckily got one like this.

@Ray T: I already shaved it and put everything together so I don't know how thick it was originally. I can measure mine from Josh which I haven't assembled everything yet. I'll come back to this thread when I did.

-bk

I had the same problem as BK. I will hopefully have a full writeup on euromariner fixes. I am working on two right now trying to get everything sparkling.

Yes!! That is exactly what i told Chris i am thinking of! I will be very glad to contribute with my experience after my sub project is complete... Lets make a tutorial "how to mod your Euromariner"

@BK: Man....Many Many Thanks!!

I would like to make a note about the crystals...

The OFREI crystal has the bevel like the gen on the top. Its beautiful.

On the other watch Im working on I am using a clark. Its half the price of OFREI but is missing that top bevel. A small thing, but for those of us that are perfection addicts it makes all the difference.

On the other watch Im working on I am using a clark. Its half the price of OFREI but is missing that top bevel. A small thing, but for those of us that are perfection addicts it makes all the difference.

looks like im gonna have to spend MORE money : p

how do the date mags compare between the clarks and ofreis? exact same dimensions and strength?

great to know. I gotta head down to OFREI and pick up a couple for myself.

-bk

Bk, any chance you can put that between a caliper and let us know how thick yours measures?

I finally had an evening free to take a look at my Euromariner.

I ordered a Clark's crystal, so I figured I would see if it would fit. Very good IMOP, and I really like dealing with Gary.

I pop off the bezel, insert is glued in. I guess that is why the bezel did not turn very smooth or freely.

Next I remove the retaining ring and crystal. I'm left with the black rubber gasket and a thin white gasket. The white gasket is not attached to the crystal. I pop out the crystal from the retaining ring, and there is another white gasket in the retaining ring. That is what is holding the crystal in place. I remove the gasket and notice there is a small lip milled into the retaining ring to hold the gasket. Hmmm. seems like a lot of extra work to make this set up. Why not just use the one piece gasket like the gen? Anyway, I measure the retaining ring, and it is 2.95mm thick. There is a raised edge that prevents the insert from fully seating in the bezel. Before I do anything, I test fit the Clark's crystal. Perfect snug fit as gen. I decide it is best to file down the retaining ring before installing. I hand file, then sand, then lightly polish for a nice look. I only removed 0.65mm of material. Retaining ring is now 2.30mm I then install the retaining ring. Very nice fit over the Clark's crystal. Not too tight, yet it require some pressure with the press. Install the washer and click spring, snap on the bezel ring, and it turns free and smooth and feels like a gen. Unfortunately, the insert is slightly too small and does not snap in. It seats down and is slightly recessed and does not rub against the retaining ring, but does not snap in. I'm guessing that is one of the reasons it was glued. I'm waiting for a gen insert, so I'll see how that fits when it arrives.

I also had Gary send me a case tube, as the rep tube looks quite poor, and there are some burrs on the inside of the tube from poor machining. I'll replace that later.

Sorry, I totally dropped the ball and should have taken some pictures. I wasn't really planning on doing the mods, but once I removed the bezel, I just got right into it and had to see if the crystal would fit.

No good news at all (the sad modding story continues..) :( :

The crystal press i ordered (to disassemble the crystal from the bezel construction) arrived today and i just used it ...

Well, the crystal took off finally but my fears seem to be realized: The retaining ring is IMPOSSIBLE to separate from the bezel top. I tried to do it with man ways but still...

I now strongly believe that too much glue was used here for the insert maybe (as other members confirm) and the glue reached the crystal and the retaining ring leading to: the crystal being impossible to separate from the whole construction and the bezel finding two "hard spots" during the turn cycle (and now being impossible to disassemble)...

I' ll contact Chris for that. Well, most of the people here want an perfectly QCed out of the box watch and Eurotimez offers is 100%... but what about us modders?

On thing about the bezel and retaining ring. If you try to pull it straight off, it won't budge. However, if you rip out the insert (so you can gain access to the inside lip of the retaining ring, you can kind of try to separate the two by pushing on one side at an angle. It's hard to describe, but basically you've got to push it out on one side.

-Pete