When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Not typically a PAM kind of guy...

ubiquitous

But thanks to kruzer, archibald, ZZ, and FGD (along with some influence from V), I have to say that I haven't been this excited about a PAM project in quite sometime!

Although it's several months out, I can already taste the completion of this one... Where's that 'jumpy' emotioncon when I need it?! :)

Some preliminary Neo-Vintage 'sketches'...

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5130.jpg

More to come...

Yes, indeed... I have always fancied neo-vintage PAMs. Until now, I've considered an accurate Pre-V/Pre-A/Early A to be nothing more than a wishful thought, but FGD has helped to bring that daydream to a reality with his great dials :)

The project thus far consists of an FGD 002A dial, NOS Jimmy case, Kruzer crown, CG of unknown origin. To wrap this up, I'll be adding a Swiss 6497, DSN hands and some work with Ziggy to get the fine case details worked out. My wife has purchased a beautiful NOS Dirk PAV style strap for me (to which I can't have until Christmas :) ) and the final touch will be a big smile on my face as I strap this one on my wrist.

As for my dial choice; I went with the 002A for a few reasons. The feasability of having such a watch seemed a little more reasonable for me to have vs. a Pre-V watch. I'd have loved to have had a 201/A, but I wanted to stay on the 'down-low' side of things with a more subtle dial, and for me, less usually seems to work out to be more. Also... I had this fantastic Jimmy case, which is a special case to me because of the extremely kind and generous gesture it represents from a dear friend of mine ;) I wanted a great dial for this one, and now I have it. Perhaps if we have some nice Pre-V style cases come available down the road, I'll venture into that 201/A (and/or other Pre-V) world... For now, I'm more than pleased with the direction this project is heading!

@Frank- Still unsure about the dial luming. I've discussed some interesting related topics with a couple of friends of mine here; who knows? We may have a very interesting (and accurate) luming option soon! So for now... I'm going to wait it out and think it over for the time being :)

Cheers and all the best!

R

Same project going on here... pre-a 2 or 9...

1:1 case and crown - fgd dial - oem a series cg - i will add unitas and caseback and glass... :)

we should all thank fgd for the dial... because without it thi project would have been impossible.

i am personally selling my 201/a dial to fund this project :)

Same project going on here... pre-a 2 or 4...

1:1 case and crown - fgd dial - oem a series cg - i will add unitas and caseback and glass... :)

we should all thank fgd for the dial... because without it thi project would have been impossible.

i am personally selling my 201/a dial to fund this project :)

1:1 case and crown? have i missed something?

Cheers

1:1 case and crown? have i missed something?

Cheers

I don't remmeber were they came from... both identical to my 118 Pam...

Here is a quick photo of the case compared to my gen 118. In person is exactly the same.

Might be a Jimmy case but I dont remember. I had it in my parts stuff for a future project and now they come in hand.

post-89-1222534332_thumb.jpg

I don't remmeber were they came from... both identical to my 118 Pam...

Here is a quick photo of the case compared to my gen 118. In person is exactly the same.

Might be a Jimmy case but I dont remember. I had it in my parts stuff for a future project and now they come in hand.

post-89-1222534332_thumb.jpg

Nice V.

:)

Cheers

Some quick dial mod pics.

FGD's dials come with a brass backing plate to add stability and height to the dial over all. I had a left over DSN sandwich dial sitting in the parts bin; the base plate was the same thickness as the brass backer. I removed the top layer of the sandwich, used the brass plate as the size template and turned down the diameter of the DSN base to the correct smaller size to use as the new backing plate (since it has dial feet, I wanted to go with this option instead).

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

Since I didn't care about the appearance of the DSN backer, I simply affixed it to my dremel, treating it like a cut off wheel. I then held it perpendicular to a grinding surface to turn it down. Pretty easy, and nice clean results at the edge.

IMG_5174.jpg