When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Dial

dieselpower

Hi to all,

I have an EE 6263 Datyona and I am very happy with it on the whole but I can't help being rather disappointed with the dial. Lets face it - it's rubbish. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I might get a decent quality replacement at reasonable cost? All input much appreciated.

post-2563-1223066424_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think DW (or anyone else that I know of) is selling 7750 Daytona dials separately. He (or Phong - j&w) might make an exception if you ask, but I have only seen the assembled 7750 watches listed for sale. You can contact DW (or Phong) through his ioffer page.

Diesel - if you do not minding spending a bit more, why not just buy 1 of DW's assembled 7750s? They have asymmetrical pushers, look & function great, & the price is very reasonable. Ask DW for details.

Newman (with the small boxes in the subdials) is my favorite, but the non-Newmans, while carrying nearly the same WIS weight, will be alot more believable in a wider range of everyday environments. That is, you could wear a non-Newman to the local pub & still keep your head up (at least for a while), whereas even I would be pretty incredulous of some pisser wearing a 30k+ pound watch in a boozer.

But make sure DW understands that you need the 7750 & not the V72/V23 dial & get the black with white subdials. I think that is the most accurate & all-around sportiest option

6239_leatherstrap0061.jpg

stripedsleeves20171.jpg

6239binoculars016a1.jpg

6239black78350121.jpg

p.s. If your watch has screw pushers, tell DW you need a dial that says 'Oyster'. I am not sure he is aware of the difference, so it is probably wise to assume the worst & tell him.

Thanks for all your help. I really like the silver dial variation that Ubi has shown. Given that my watch has the screw down pushers it somehow looks right. But, I would have to find someone who could paint the subdial hands and the tip of the main second hand before putting the new dial on - sounds like a The Zigmeister job. If, however, I went with a black dial and I think I would go for the PN if I did (sorry freddy333) then it would just be a case of a straight dial exchange but I agree with you freddy333 I would have a piece that if genuine would be so expensive as to become unbelievable - not that I ever try to convince people that I am wearing a gen anyway. I like to see the amazement when I tell them it's a rep. But I digress, also I feel that the black PN looks better with non screw down pushers. I know that screw down with the exotic dial is perfectly viable but for some reason it doesn't look quite right. I notice freddy333 that the only exotic dials you have are all on non screw down pushers and I agree with your choice, so all in all I think Ubi hit the nail on the head straight off. The silver non PN dial with my case is the correct answer. So, I will see if DW can supply that dial then I will be trying to find a modder who can do the work. Is The Zigmeister the man for the job? Is this too trivial for him? Would I be taking a huge risk sending the watch to Canada (I am in the UK)? More questions, but you know you love it :D

Regards,

Dieselpower.

One thing you may have to consider is that the subdial hands of DW may not fit your EE Daytona.. i tried to change dial and hands on my Honpo 6239 .. but with no luck (I am not sure if it is just me or i didnt try hard enough)

P1010020.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010019.jpg

With the picture shown above in Laz's message... only 2,3 & 6 are correct.

Update. Great communication with DW and a 7750 dial and hands are on their way to me. He has confirmed the subdial hands are white so no painting required. Freddy333 - love the photo of your silver dial 6263 and you say you have added a few gen parts, was wondering what they were? I have a gen glass on my EE but that's it.

Cheers.

Update. Great communication with DW and a 7750 dial and hands are on their way to me. He has confirmed the subdial hands are white so no painting required. Freddy333 - love the photo of your silver dial 6263 and you say you have added a few gen parts, was wondering what they were? I have a gen glass on my EE but that's it.

Congratulations on the DW.

The 6263 in the picture has the following gen parts - T21 crystal, 7mm Triplock crown (Clark's matching tube) & pushers.

And just to complete the picture, I also converted the 7750 to a pseudo 7760 by removing the rotor & reversing wheels (in the auto-wind module).

6239black0061.jpg

In addition to turning the movement into a manual-wind (gen 62xx Daytonas are manual-wind), it also lowered the height of the movement by about 1mm, which then provided sufficient clearance to allow me to fit 1 of DW's (lower profile) V72 casebacks so the case now has the same overall dimensions as a V72 DW (or gen 62xx). If you think you might want to follow suit at some point, I would recommend asking DW to include 1 of his V72 casebacks with your order.

Thanks for the info and yes, I would like to follow suit but I do not know if one of DW's V72 casebacks would fit on my EE case - have you any idea if it will?

Diesel - I am pretty certain it will fit, but I have never measured any of the EE-powered cases. That said, the dimensions of all DW's (asymmetrical-pushered) 62xx cases that I have worked on (V72, V23 & 7750) are the same, so, in theory, the casebacks should all be interchangeable. Though, to be sure, ask DW.

The main benefit to the conversion (aside from gaining the ability to fit the lower profile caseback) is the elimination of the rotor noise, which makes it pretty obvious (to any Daytona aficionado) that your watch is not what it purports to be. And since there is only 1 screw holding it onto the movement (& you do not need to remove the movement from the case to remove the screw), this is an amazingly simple mod that anyone with a quality screwdriver, a caseback tool & a pair of steady hands can perform in the comfort of their own home (I once performed a rotor-ectomy on a friend's watch in a bar after I got tired of watching salt shaker tricks, which is another good reason to become a teetotaler).