When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pick the Gen Sub!

USMC8404

I wish I could see the photos.

For some reason I cant' open them. :huh:

Anyway, congrats for getting a gen. It's a long route to take the decision to go for gens.

And it's an achievement to build a mix collection of frankens and gens in my opinion

Cheers

Stephane.

I wish I could see the photos.

For some reason I cant' open them. :huh:

Anyway, congrats for getting a gen. It's a long route to take the decision to go for gens.

And it's an achievement to build a mix collection of frankens and gens in my opinion

Cheers

Stephane.

Stephane,

PM me your email and I will send you photos if you would like to see them.

@Mickey,

Yes, I am in the right forum... Those guys at TZ are too stuffy and dull! Plus, I could not afford to build a large collection of Gens. One or two maybe, but not 8 0r 10! Additionally, nothing compares to the information available on this site about gens and reps alike. Lastly, I like it here!

the thing i notice with these mbk based watches is the

overly big date mag

Chris' MBKs have a different mag, closest to gen ive seen so far. i think the length is off on either the magnification or on the actual cyclops dimensions : |_28_| instead of like |__28__|

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

Chris' MBKs have a different mag, closest to gen ive seen so far. i think the length is off on either the magnification or on the actual cyclops dimensions : |_28_| instead of like |__28__|

I think the date mag is actually pretty good on the Euromariner. The date on my Euro sets just a fraction too low in the date window, but not really noticeable unless you are looking for it.

I think the date mag is actually pretty good on the Euromariner. The date on my Euro sets just a fraction too low in the date window, but not really noticeable unless you are looking for it.

....and bear in mind that we all know what to look at...

It's our sport to be picky!

In real life, on the wrist, it's not noticeable :D

For me, the datewheels and cyclops were always the easiest way to spot gens/reps from across a room almost. I can still do that with this watch, but it used to be that the terrible white crystal rings were a second, easy way (which I share with Bytor, as that is a pet peave tell for him too!). But with this new bezel/crystal/case construction that is gone. This is a great watch. After tightening up the CG's a bit it is as close to perfect as ANY rep ever needs to be.

That said, I never understood why the Chinese can't start nailing some dead perfect datewheels & cyclops'. Rolex DW's are, well, perfect. For me that is the only reason why the cyclops system is even fadeable at all - because at magnification the symmetry of the numerals and uniform boldness is so nice. This watch also needs its own cyclops. The gen-like contruction has a certain distance to the dial and I wish they would design a cyclops and datewheel together for a specific watch, like they are forced to do with other brands. In other words, it is obvious that many Rolex reps just use the same cyclops between watches with no regard to the small differences in rehaut thickness, etc. between the models. So the result is that the mag is too much or too little or the font is too thin or too bold - or both. Now that they have solved the horrible sqaure datewindow issue, this is the last step to put that area of the watch to rest. So join with me in the vote for the makers to start doing "ultimate" datewheels and watch specific cyclops'. They are doing them with the other brands, so why not Rolex? I know it is nitpicky, but there is not much else to pick on for these watches. That would make it as great as it good be. I really can't see improving much else...

P.S: To the OP, did I mention NICE watch? Anyway, the first order of business if nothing else is to mill that bezel channel and get that insert recessed nicely! That is a nice and cheap way to improve the look of the watch in a major way.

As another side note, although not very notcieable in person, isn't it funny how obvious flashed pics show the relative whiteness and softer sheen of the 904 steel on the gen. Every side by side pic always jumps out at me, but then when I compare my gen Rolexes to my reps over the years it is almost un-detectable in person...

As another side note, although not very notcieable in person, isn't it funny how obvious flashed pics show the relative whiteness and softer sheen of the 904 steel on the gen. Every side by side pic always jumps out at me, but then when I compare my gen Rolexes to my reps over the years it is almost un-detectable in person...

Agreed 100%.

But maybe you and I are very bad in that field.

There are a lot of members here who can actually spot the difference in real life.

Me not.

Good Catch! These are the only real flaws. Also the printing of the Noob dial is a little bolder, but you can't tell unless they are side by side. I plan to send it off to The Zigmeister early next year to have these issues corrected.

Crown size, insert text size, pearl, CGs, Insert depth, etc.

Still, I doubt a non-rep-fixated punter would ever notice these flaws we're all highly attuned to. Excellent rep!